Dublin Scioto High School
|Dublin Scioto High School|
|4000 Hard Road
Dublin, Ohio, (Franklin County), 43016
|Type||Public, Coeducational high school|
|School district||Dublin City Schools|
|Superintendent||Toad F. Hoadley |
|Principal||Donis Toler |
|Asst. Principal||Kip Witchey|
|Color(s)||Green and Silver |
|Athletics conference||Ohio Capital Conference|
|Rival||Dublin Coffman High School and Worthington Kilbourne High School|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools |
|Athletic Director||Nick Magistrale|
Dublin Scioto High School is a public high school located in Dublin, Ohio, a suburb northwest of Columbus, Ohio. Dublin Scioto High School was constructed in 1995 at 4000 Hard Road between Sawmill Road and Riverside Drive.
Scioto has 200 certificated staff. Of these, 92 have earned Master's Degrees, and 4 hold a Ph.D. The administration includes Principal Donis Toler, Athletic Director Nick Magistrale, and Guidance Counselors Ms. Allison Sampson, Mr. Aaron Rowe, Mr. Jon Borland, and Ms. Jackie Sprunger.
Junior State of America
Founded in September 2007, Dublin Scioto's Junior State of America club has become a vibrant part of the Scioto community. From 2007 to 2014, the Junior State of America chapter attended dozens of JSA conventions in Cincinnati, Washington, D.C., and downtown Columbus. During this same time period, three Dublin Scioto students won gubernatorial races in the Ohio River Valley Junior State. Liz Litteral and D. Winston Underwood Jr. were elected by their peers to serve as Governor from 2009-2010 and 2013-2014, respectively. Tim Kocher was elected Lieutenant Governor for the 2012-2013 term. D. Winston Underwood Jr. also served as Mayor of the Central Ohio District from 2012-2013.
Dublin Scioto has consistently wielded a strong Quiz Team  that competes mainly in the In The Know tournament produced by WOSU and supported by Westfield Insurance. In recent years, Dublin Scioto has advanced far under the leadership of Advisor Tim Hayes. Under captain Laszlo Seress, the 2009-2010 team advanced to the semifinals. The following year under the leadership of Senior Captains Meredith Haddix and Suhas Gudhe, in addition to Senior Alex Filice and Freshman Arjun Venkataraman, the team advanced to the In The Know finals. Along the way, the team upset strong programs such as Olentangy Liberty High School, Bishop Watterson High School, and cross town rivals Dublin Coffman. Against Dublin Coffman, regulation ended with a score of 500-500. Also that season, Dublin Scioto managed to compete remarkably well against Walnut Hills High School. The 2011-2012 In The Know team, known as the Redeem Team, featured sophomore captain Arjun Venkataraman, senior president Ben Albert, senior Nick Gorelov, and sophomore vice-captain Neil Bhuta. After defeatingWheelersburg High School and Grandview Heights High School in the first two rounds, Dublin Scioto faced Rutherford B. Hayes High School (Delaware, Ohio). Dublin Scioto defeated Hayes and proceeded to defeat Bishop Watterson High School. Following that victory, the team slipped passed Mount Vernon High School and defeated Bexley High School. In that, Dublin Scioto won the state championship.
Change of curriculum
The curriculum and student handbook at Dublin Scioto High School as well as at the other two high schools in the Dublin City School District were revised in order to conform with the International Baccalaureate degree program. These changes, which took effect in the 2008-09 school year, include a shift from a seven period day to an eight period day; and a change from year long 1.0 credit courses to semester 0.5 credit courses.
Ohio High School Athletic Association State Championships
- Wrestling - 2010, Randy Languis, 140-pound Division 1 OHSAA State Champion
- Lacrosse - 1996, 1999, 2003,
- Eric Brunner, (class of 2004) MLS defender for Houston Dynamo
- Nick Goings, (class of 1996) former NFL fullback for the Carolina Panthers
- Bradley McDougald, (class of 2009), NFL safety for the Kansas City Chiefs
- Jay Richardson, (class of 2002) NFL defensive end for the New Orleans Saints
- Tamara Witmer, (class of 2002) Playboy Playmate of the Month, Miss August 2005, cover girl for October 2006 issue and appeared as Miss May in the Playboy Playmate Video Calendar of 2007.
- Ayodeji Olatoye, (class of 2009), NFL cornerback for the Baltimore Ravens
- Joe Wilkins, (class of 1997) Former Minor League Baseball player, Head baseball coach at Tiffin University.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association member directory". Retrieved 2010-02-17.
- NCA-CASI. "NCA-Council on Accreditation and School Improvement". Retrieved 2010-02-17.[dead link]
- "2012 State Championship". Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- "2012 In The Know". Retrieved 2012-05-18.
- ThisWeek Community Newspapers. "High school changes are approved". Retrieved 2007-12-16.
- Yappi. "Yappi Sports Football". Retrieved 2007-02-12.
- OHSAA. "Ohio High School Athletic Association Web site". Retrieved 2006-12-31.