Dubnica nad Váhom
|Dubnica nad Váhom|
|Tourismn region||Stredné Považie|
|Elevation||242 m (794 ft)|
|Area||49.137 km2 (18.972 sq mi)|
|Density||517 / km2 (1,339 / sq mi)|
|- summer (DST)||CEST (UTC+2)|
|Postal code||018 41|
|Wikimedia Commons: Dubnica nad Váhom|
Dubnica nad Váhom ( pronunciation (help·info); Slovak before 1927: Dubnica, German: Dubnitz an der Waag, Hungarian: Máriatölgyes, before 1899 Dubnic(z)) is a town in the Ilava District, Trenčín Region in Slovakia.
It is located on the Váh river, in the Ilava Basin, between the White Carpathians and Strážovské vrchy mountains, at an altitude of 242 metres. The town's cadastral area is composed of Dubnica and "city part" Prejta, annexed in 1973.
Traces of settlement in the place of today's town are from the Stone Age. The first written mention about Dubnica nad Váhom was in 1193 as Dubnicza, when it was a yeoman village. Sometime in the 15th century the village passed to the rule of the Trenčín Castle. After incorporation into Czechoslovakia, construction of a munition factory was negotiated in 1928 and built in 1936. During the Communist Czechoslovakia, it was one of the biggest arms producers in the whole country. After the Velvet Revolution in 1989, the factory was shut down and only fragments are left now.
According to the 2001 census, the town had 25,995 inhabitants. 96.6% of inhabitants were Slovaks, 1.4% Czechs and 0.2% Roma and 0.2 Hungarians. The religious make-up was 76.7% Roman Catholics, 16.4% people with no religious affiliation, and 2.5% Lutherans.
- Pavol Demitra, Slovak ice hockey player
- Tomas Kopecky, Florida Panthers (NHL) Right Winger
- Tomáš Tatar, Professional ice hockey player
- Dubnica's silenced guns (Spectacular Slovakia travel guide)
- "Municipal Statistics". Statistical Office of the Slovak republic. Archived from the original on 2007-10-27. Retrieved 2007-11-06.
The records for genealogical research are available at the state archive "Statny Archiv in Bratislava, Bytca, Slovakia"
- Roman Catholic church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1667-1895 (parish A)
- Lutheran church records (births/marriages/deaths): 1783-1895 (parish B)
- Official municipal website
- Surnames of living people in Dubnica nad Vahom
- Magazine about life in Dubnica
- Slovak Wastewater Treatment Plants which are sold all over Europe - Aquatec VFL