Duda (Portuguese footballer)
|Full name||Sérgio Paulo Barbosa Valente|
|Date of birth||27 June 1980|
|Place of birth||Porto, Portugal|
|Height||1.75 m (5 ft 9 in)|
|2002–2003||→ Levante (loan)||19||(3)|
|2008–2009||→ Málaga (loan)||35||(5)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 17 February 2014.
† Appearances (Goals).
He is mostly known for his set pieces and crossing ability, and spent his entire professional career in Spain, collecting more than 300 official appearances for four clubs. He represented mainly Málaga and Sevilla.
Having grown through the ranks of Vitória de Guimarães, Porto-born Duda had not yet played one single competitive senior game when he was sold to Cádiz CF in the third-tier of Spanish football. For the 2001–02 season he switched to La Liga with Málaga CF and, after a loan move to Segunda División with Levante UD, was everpresent in a team that achieved two consecutive 10th league places, also appearing in the UEFA Cup via the Intertoto.
In the 2005–06 campaign, involved in a bitter contract dispute, Duda featured scarcely as Málaga was relegated and, during the summer, he joined Andalusia neighbours Sevilla FC. Incidentally, his arrival coincided with the emergence of another left-footed player, Antonio Puerta (whom played as either left back or midfielder); after Puerta's demise the following season Duda also played backup, to Diego Capel.
With Capel firmly established as first-choice, Duda was loaned for 2008–09 to an old acquaintance, Málaga, in August 2008. During the season he was an instrumental offensive element as the club narrowly missed on Europa League qualification, with countryman Eliseu often playing in the other wing.
In late August 2009, after intense negotiations, Duda moved permanently to Málaga on a four-year contract, with Sevilla benefitting from a percentage of any future sale. In his first season in his second spell he was an instrumental figure as Málaga narrowly avoided relegation, leading the team in goals; May 2010 was a particular active period for the player as he netted in 1–1 draws, at Athletic Bilbao from a direct corner kick and in the season's closer at home against Real Madrid, in which he was also sent off after elbowing Xabi Alonso.
After suffering an injury during the 2010 World Cup, Duda underwent surgery to fix his pubalgia ailment, and missed the beginning of the new season. In his return to action, on 21 November 2010, he played the first 60 minutes of a 0–3 away defeat against Deportivo de La Coruña; on 29 January 2011 he celebrated his 200th Spanish top flight match by scoring against Real Zaragoza, but in a 1–2 home defeat.
In the 2011–12 campaign, following the summer signings of Santi Cazorla and Joaquín and the ostracism to which Manuel Pellegrini voted Apoño after the first matchday, Duda was often used as a central midfielder. His first goal of the season came on 22 March 2012 – with his first touch – from a long-range shot in an eventual 4–2 home win over Rayo Vallecano.
On 31 March Duda made his 200th league appearance for Málaga, in a 0–2 home defeat against Real Betis. He started the following season as an habitual substitute but, on 4 December, in a rare start, against R.S.C. Anderlecht for the UEFA Champions League group stage, netted both of his team's goals in a 2–2 home draw.
On 1 July 2013, 33-year-old Duda signed a two-year extension to his contract with the option to a third, keeping him with Málaga until 2015. On 1 February of the following year he scored his first goals of the new campaign, netting a brace to help defeat former club Sevilla 3–2 at La Rosaleda Stadium.
In 2007 Duda made his debuts with Portugal, as the winger position in the national side was packed with talent (Nani, Ricardo Quaresma, Cristiano Ronaldo, Simão Sabrosa). On 20 August 2008, in a 5–0 friendly win over Faroe Islands, he scored his first national team goal, after coming on as a second-half replacement.
During the 2010 FIFA World Cup qualifiers Duda was often used as an emergency left back, by national coach Carlos Queiroz. He was included in the squad-of-23 for the final stages in South Africa, where he appeared twice in the group stage: playing 20 minutes against North Korea, he assisted to Liédson who took the score to 5–0 (eventually 7–0); he then started against Brazil, in a 0–0 draw.
|1||20 August 2008||Estádio Municipal de Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal,||Faroe Islands||3–0||5–0||Friendly|
- Sevilla strengthen with two recruits; UEFA.com, 3 July 2006
- Duda, cedido al Málaga por una temporada sin opción de compra (Duda, loaned one season to Málaga with no buying option); Sevilla's official website, 6 August 2008 (Spanish)
- Duda, traspasado al Málaga por una cantidad fija y un alto porcentaje de una posible venta (Duda, sold to Málaga for set fee and high percentage of possible sale); Sevilla's official website, 28 August 2009 (Spanish)
- Bilbao miss out; ESPN Soccernet, 5 May 2010
- Málaga 1–1 Real Madrid; ESPN Soccernet, 16 May 2010
- Duda será intervenido y estará dos meses fuera (Duda to undergo surgery and miss two months); Málaga Hoy, 22 August 2010 (Spanish)
- Depor continue rise; ESPN Soccernet, 21 November 2010
- Sinama-Pongolle late show sinks Malaga; ESPN Soccernet, 29 January 2011
- Rondon doubles up in Malaga win; ESPN Soccernet, 22 March 2012
- Málaga point is no consolation for Anderlecht; UEFA.com, 4 December 2012
- Duda renueva su vinculación con el Málaga CF hasta la 14/15 (Duda renews link with Málaga CF until 14/15); Málaga's official website, 1 July 2013 (Spanish)
- El Sevilla Duda y el Málaga remonta (Sevilla doubts (Duda in Spanish) and Málaga comes from behind); Marca, 2 February 2014 (Spanish)
- "Portugal pours it on in second half". The New York Times. 21 June 2010. Retrieved 3 January 2013.
- Málaga official profile
- Stats and profile at Zerozero
- Stats at ForaDeJogo
- PortuGOAL profile
- BDFutbol profile
- Stats and bio at Cadistas1910 (Spanish)
- Duda at National-Football-Teams.com
- Duda – FIFA competition record
- 2010 FIFA World Cup profile
- Transfermarkt profile
- Official website