Dudley Chase Denison
|Dudley Chase Denison|
|Member of the U.S. House of Representatives
from Vermont's 2nd district
March 4, 1875 – March 3, 1879
|Preceded by||Luke P. Poland|
|Succeeded by||James Manning Tyler|
September 13, 1819|
Royalton, Vermont, USA
|Died||February 10, 1905
Royalton, Vermont, USA
|Political party||Independent Republican and Republican|
|Spouse(s)||Eunice Dunbar Denison|
|Relations||Dudley Chase, Philander Chase, and Salmon P. Chase|
|Children||Joseph Dudley Denison, Catherine Amanda Denison, John Henry Denison, Gertrude May Denison, Lucy Dunbar Denison, Edward Denison and Elizabeth Denison|
|Alma mater||University of Vermont|
Denison was born in Royalton, Vermont, son of Dr. Joseph Adam Denison and Rachel (Chase) Denison. He attended Royalton Academy and graduated third in his class from the University of Vermont in 1840. He later received a Master of Arts degree from the University of Vermont. He studied law and was admitted to the bar in 1845. He began the practice of law in Royalton.
Denison served as a member of the Vermont State Senate in 1853 and 1854, and served as the State's Attorney for Windsor County from 1858 until 1860. He was a member of the Vermont House of Representatives from 1861 until 1863. He was a trustee for Norwich University from 1850 until 1887, and a trustee for the University of Vermont from 1862 to 1865.
He was elected as an Independent Republican candidate to the 44th United States Congress and reelected as a Republican candidate to the 45th United States Congress, serving from March 4, 1875 until March 3, 1879. He was not a candidate for reelection in 1878.
Denison married Eunice Dunbar on December 22, 1846. They had seven children: Joseph Dudley Denison, Catherine Amanda Denison, John Henry Denison, Gertrude May Denison, Lucy Dunbar Denison, Edward Denison and Elizabeth Denison.
- "Dudley Chase Denison (1819 - 1906)". Ancestry.com. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Dudley Chase Denison". Find A Grave. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "DENISON, Dudley Chase,". Our Campaigns. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- Proctor, Redfield and Charles H. Davenport (1894). Men of Vermont: an illustrated biographical history of Vermonters and sons of Vermont. Transcript publishing company. p. 158.
- Ellis, William Arba (1911). Norwich university, 1819-1911: her history, her graduates, her roll of honor, pub. by Major-General Grenville M. Dodge. The Capital city press. p. 13.
- "Denison, Dudley Chase (1819-1905)". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- Carleton, Hiram (1903). Genealogical and Family History of the State of Vermont: A Record of the Achievements of Her People in the Making of a Commonwealth and the Founding of a Nation, Volume 2. Lewis Publishing Company. p. 357.
- "Rep. Dudley Denison". Govtrack.us. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- Dudley Chase DENISON — Infoplease.com at www.infoplease.com
- "Eunice Dunbar Denison". Find A Grave. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Chase-Sprague family of Rhode Island". The Political Graveyard. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Men of Vermont: an illustrated biographical history of Vermonters and sons of Vermont" by Redfield Proctor, Charles H. Davenport and Levi Knight Fuller, published by the Transcript publishing company, 1894.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dudley Chase Denison.|
- Biographical Directory of the United States Congress
- Find A Grave: Dudley Chase Denison
- The Political Graveyard: Denison, Dudley Chase (1819-1905)
- Govtrack.us: Rep. Dudley Denison
- Our Campaigns: Denison, Dudley Chase,