Dudley South (UK Parliament constituency)
|for the House of Commons|
Boundary of Dudley South in West Midlands.
Location of West Midlands within England.
|Electorate||61,308 (December 2010)|
|Member of Parliament||Chris Kelly (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Dudley West|
|European Parliament constituency||West Midlands|
Dudley South is one of four constituencies presently covering the Metropolitan Borough of Dudley, and covers the central part of the borough to the south of the town centre. The constituency comprises the electoral wards:
- Brierley Hill; Brockmoor and Pensnett; Kingswinford North and Wall Heath; Kingswinford South; Netherton, Woodside, St. Andrews; and Wordsley.
Before the 1997 election, Dudley was divided into East and West constituencies, rather than North and South. Dudley South covers most of the area previously covered by Dudley West, which included Sedgley but excluded Netherton.
Dudley West was the scene of a by-election in 1994, held after the death of the Conservative John Blackburn who had represented the constituency since 1979. The by-election was won by Labour's Ian Pearson, who stood for Dudley South in 1997 and held the seat, winning by a comfortable margin each time, until he stood down in 2010.
The Conservatives gained the seat in the subsequent general election.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|General Election 2015: Dudley South|
|General Election 2010: Dudley South|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Bramall||5,989||15.7||+3.0|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+9.5|
Elections in the 2000s
|General Election 2005: Dudley South|
|Liberal Democrat||Jonathan Bramall||4,808||12.2||−2.7|
|General Election 2001: Dudley South|
|Liberal Democrat||Lorely Burt||5,421||14.9||+4.0|
|Socialist Alliance||Angela Thompson||663||1.8||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|General Election 1997: Dudley South|
|Liberal Democrat||Richard Burt||5,214||10.9||N/A|
|Referendum Party||C. Birch||1,467||3.1||N/A|
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in the West Midlands (county)
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Dudley
Notes and references
- "Electorate Figures - Boundary Commission for England". 2011 Electorate Figures. Boundary Commission for England. 4 March 2011. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- "The Parliamentary Constituencies (England) Order 2007". The Stationery Office. 13 June 2007. Retrieved 16 November 2012.
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "D" (part 3)[self-published source][better source needed]