Due West, South Carolina
|Due West, South Carolina|
Aerial view of Due West
Location of Due West, South Carolina
|• Total||1.64 sq mi (4.25 km2)|
|• Land||1.64 sq mi (4.24 km2)|
|• Water||0.004 sq mi (0.01 km2)|
|Elevation||699 ft (213 m)|
|• Density||873/sq mi (336.9/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1247568|
Due West is located at .(34.332110, -82.387131)
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,209 people, 307 households, and 194 families residing in the town. The population density was 738.4 people per square mile (284.6/km²). There were 342 housing units at an average density of 208.9 per square mile (80.5/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 79.24% White, 18.61% African American, 0.08% Native American, 0.99% Asian, 0.25% from other races, and 0.83% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.74% of the population.
There were 307 households out of which 20.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 45.9% were married couples living together, 13.7% had a female householder with no husband present, and 36.8% were non-families. 32.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 14.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.76.
In the town the population was spread out with 11.3% under the age of 18, 40.7% from 18 to 24, 14.5% from 25 to 44, 14.7% from 45 to 64, and 18.8% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 24 years. For every 100 females there were 75.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 72.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $39,375, and the median income for a family was $53,000. Males had a median income of $35,917 versus $27,000 for females. The per capita income for the town was $22,758. About 9.5% of families and 13.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 20.0% of those under age 18 and 14.0% of those age 65 or over.
- Mayor: Lee Logan
- Town Attorney: Paul Agnew
- Town Clerk: Patti Chasteen
- Town Police Chief: David Maxwell
- Fire Chief: Roy McClain
- Utilities Director: Lewis Saxton
Due West is the home of Erskine College, a private Christian liberal arts college affiliated with the Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church, and Dixie High School, serving grades 8-12. Elementary students in Due West attend Cherokee Trail Elementary in Donalds.
Due West is also home to Erskine Theological Seminary.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Due West town, South Carolina". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved August 2, 2013.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.