Duets (Frank Sinatra album)
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (March 2012)|
|Studio album by Frank Sinatra|
|Released||November 2, 1993|
|Genre||Vocal jazz, Traditional pop|
|Frank Sinatra chronology|
Duets is an album by American singer Frank Sinatra, released in 1993. Recorded near the end of Sinatra's career, it consists of duets between Sinatra and other guest star singers from various genres; Sinatra personally chose the performers. It was advertised as “The Recording Event of The Decade.” The album was a commercial success, reaching #2 on the Billboard albums chart and #5 in the UK and selling over 3 million copies in the U.S. It is the only Sinatra album to date to achieve triple platinum certification.
It received mixed critical notices, with complaints stemming from Phil Ramone's style of production and a lack of personal collaboration, since the guest singers were not physically present with Sinatra but instead were singing along to his pre-recorded vocal parts. The cover art displays a specially commissioned painting of Frank Sinatra by LeRoy Neiman. Its sequel, Duets II, was released the following year.
Both were packaged together in a "90th Birthday Limited Collector's Edition" released in 2005; North American pressings add an unreleased duet recording of "My Way" with Willie Nelson, while international pressings have him singing with Luciano Pavarotti.
- "The Lady Is a Tramp" (Richard Rodgers, Lorenz Hart) (with Luther Vandross) – 3:24
- "What Now My Love" (Gilbert Bécaud, Carl Sigman, Pierre Delanoë) (with Aretha Franklin) – 3:15
- "I've Got a Crush on You" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) (with Barbra Streisand) – 3:23
- "Summer Wind" (Heinz Meier, Hans Bradtke, Johnny Mercer) (with Julio Iglesias) – 2:32
- "Come Rain or Come Shine" (Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer) (with Gloria Estefan) – 4:04
- "New York, New York" (Fred Ebb, John Kander) (with Tony Bennett) – 3:30
- "They Can't Take That Away From Me" (George Gershwin, Ira Gershwin) (with Natalie Cole) – 3:11
- "You Make Me Feel So Young" (Mack Gordon, Josef Myrow) (with Charles Aznavour) – 3:05
- "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry"/"In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning" (Sammy Cahn, Jule Styne)/(Bob Hilliard, David Mann) (with Carly Simon) – 3:57
- "I've Got the World on a String" (Harold Arlen, Ted Koehler) (with Liza Minnelli) – 2:18
- "Witchcraft" (Carolyn Leigh, Cy Coleman) (with Anita Baker) – 3:22
- "I've Got You Under My Skin" (Cole Porter) (with Bono) – 3:32
- "All the Way"/"One For My Baby (And One More For The Road)" (Cahn, Jimmy Van Heusen)/(Harold Arlen, Johnny Mercer) (with Kenny G) – 6:03
- Frank Sinatra - vocals
- Phil Ramone - producer
- Patrick Williams - musical director, conductor
- Charles Koppelman - executive producer
- Don Rubin - executive producer
- Eliot Weisman - executive producer
- Al Schmitt - engineer
- John Wheeler - EDnet network engineer
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Gold||25,000x|
|Canada (Music Canada)||2× Platinum||200,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||Platinum||300,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||3× Platinum||3,000,000^|
^shipments figures based on certification alone
- Duets (Frank Sinatra album) at AllMusic
- Christgau, Robert (November 23, 1993). "Turkey Shoot". The Village Voice (New York). Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "Discos de oro y platino" (in Spanish). Cámara Argentina de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Archived from the original on 2011-07-06. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "Austrian album certifications – Frank Sinatra – Duets" (in German). IFPI Austria. Enter Frank Sinatra in the field Interpret. Enter Duets in the field Titel. Select album in the field Format. Click Suchen
- "Canadian album certifications – Frank Sinatra – Duets". Music Canada.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 1987−1998" (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Archived from the original on 2012-05-21. Retrieved 2013-02-23.
- "British album certifications – Frank Sinatra – Duets". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Duets in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select album in the field By Format. Click Go
- "American album certifications – Frank Sinatra – Duets". Recording Industry Association of America. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH