Dufferin (from Irish: [A]n Duibhthrian, meaning "the black third") is a barony in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is on the south-east shore of Strangford Lough, and is bordered by three other baronies: Castlereagh Lower to the north; Castlereagh Upper to the west; and Lecale Lower to the south.
Dufferin, along with the barony of Kinelarty and part of Castlereagh was at one time part of the territory of the Cenél Foghartaigh (Kinelarty), ruled by the Mac Artáin (MacCartan) sept. The Ó Labhradha (Lowry, Lavery) sept are also noted in Dufferin.
Below is a list of settlements in Dufferin:
List of civil parishes
- Killinchy (split with baronies of Castlereagh Lower and Upper)
- Killyleagh (split with barony of Castlereagh Upper)
- Ulster Place Names - Down Council Area, page 36.
- Public Records Office of Northern Ireland - Baronies of Northern Ireland
- Ireland's History in Maps - Ancient Uladh, Ulidia, the Kingdom of Ulster
- Bell, Robert; The book of Ulster surnames, page 60. The Black Staff Press, 2003. ISBN 0-85640-602-3
- Ireland's History in Maps - The Baronies of Ireland
- "Dufferin". Placenames Database of Ireland. Dublin: Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- PRONI Civil Parishes of County Down
|This article related to the geography of County Down, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|