Panoramic view of the town center on the Mrežnica river.
Map of Duga Resa municipality within Karlovac County
|• Mayor||Ivan Baršić (HSS)|
|• Total||58 km2 (22 sq mi)|
|• City itself||5,989|
|Time zone||Central European Time (UTC+1)|
The earliest reference to Duga Resa is from the year 1380. There are several theories on how the then-village acquired its name: one is that "resa" is a reference to the town people's folk costumes; another is that it is named from a native plant that grows in the area, both on the land and in the water.
The village soon grew into a town during the industrialization of the area in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 2001 census, there were 12,114 inhabitants in the municipality, 96% of which were Croats.
In 2011, the total population is 11,164, in the following settlements:
- Belajska Vinica, population 182
- Belavići, population 305
- Bošt, population 62
- Cerovački Galovići, population 61
- Donje Mrzlo Polje Mrežničko, population 504
- Donji Zvečaj, population 166
- Duga Resa, population 5,989
- Dvorjanci, population 123
- Galović Selo, population 74
- Gorica, population 62
- Gornje Mrzlo Polje Mrežničko, population 617
- Grganjica, population 17
- Gršćaki, population 77
- Kozalj Vrh, population 91
- Lišnica, population 181
- Mihalić Selo, population 81
- Mrežničke Poljice, population 114
- Mrežnički Brig, population 266
- Mrežnički Novaki, population 188
- Mrežnički Varoš, population 895
- Mrežničko Dvorište, population 65
- Novo Brdo Mrežničko, population 119
- Pećurkovo Brdo, population 101
- Petrakovo Brdo, population 120
- Sveti Petar Mrežnički, population 164
- Šeketino Brdo, population 180
- Venac Mrežnički, population 133
- Zvečaj, population 198
Popular activities include fishing, rafting, hunting, boating, swimming, volleyball, soccer, and biking. The local church St. Peters (Sveti Petar) dates back to the 14th century.
Its geographic location gives the town very hot summers and very cold winters.
- "Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011, First Results by Settlements" (HTML). Statistical Reports (in Croatian and English) (Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics) (1441). June 2011. ISSN 1332-0297. Retrieved 2011-08-11.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Duga Resa.|