Panoramic view of the town center on the Mrežnica river.
Map of Duga Resa municipality within Karlovac County
|• Mayor||Ivan Baršić (HSS)|
|• Total||58 km2 (22 sq mi)|
|• City itself||6,011|
|Time zone||Central European Time (UTC+1)|
The earliest reference to Duga Resa is from the year 1380. There are several theories on how the then-village acquired its name: one is that "resa" is a reference to the town people's folk costumes; another is that it is named from a native plant that grows in the area, both on the land and in the water.
The village soon grew into a town during the industrialization of the area in the late 19th and early 20th century. In the 2001 census, there were 12,114 inhabitants in the municipality, 96% of which were Croats.
In 2011, the total population is 11,180, in the following settlements:
- Belajska Vinica, population 180
- Belavići, population 305
- Bošt, population 62
- Cerovački Galovići, population 62
- Donje Mrzlo Polje Mrežničko, population 512
- Donji Zvečaj, population 165
- Duga Resa, population 6,011
- Dvorjanci, population 123
- Galović Selo, population 74
- Gorica, population 62
- Gornje Mrzlo Polje Mrežničko, population 617
- Grganjica, population 17
- Gršćaki, population 77
- Kozalj Vrh, population 91
- Lišnica, population 183
- Mihalić Selo, population 81
- Mrežničke Poljice, population 114
- Mrežnički Brig, population 270
- Mrežnički Novaki, population 188
- Mrežnički Varoš, population 904
- Mrežničko Dvorište, population 67
- Novo Brdo Mrežničko, population 119
- Pećurkovo Brdo, population 101
- Petrakovo Brdo, population 120
- Sveti Petar Mrežnički, population 163
- Šeketino Brdo, population 181
- Venac Mrežnički, population 131
- Zvečaj, population 203
Popular activities include fishing, rafting, hunting, boating, swimming, volleyball, soccer, and biking. The local churches St. Antun in Duga Resa and St. Peters (Sveti Petar) dates back to the 14th century.
Its geographic location gives the town very hot summers and very cold winters.
- "Population by Age and Sex, by Settlements, 2011 Census: Duga Resa". Census of Population, Households and Dwellings 2011. Zagreb: Croatian Bureau of Statistics. December 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Duga Resa.|