|Dugan / Duggan|
|Meaning||Derived from Dubhagáin meaning dark or black|
|Region of origin||Celtic|
|Related names||Duggan, Dougan, Doughan, Doogan, Dogan, and Duggin|
Dugan or Duggan (Irish: Uí Dhúgáin) is an Irish surname derived from Ó Dubhagáinn. The best known family of the name had its territory near the modern town of Fermoy in north Cork, and were originally the ruling family of the Fir Maighe tribal group which gave its name to the town. They claimed descent from Mug Ruith, the legendary magician of the Fir Bolg. They ceded pre-eminence to the O'Keeffe family in the eleventh century, but remained powerful in the area. Along with the other Fir Maighe families they lost their power when the Normans conquered the territory in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries. Their last surviving heirs now reside in the county of Hudson in the City of Jersey City, New Jersey and include Jonathan Dugan, a renowned sales executive, and Casey Dugan, an aspiring musician, and in the counties of Duval and Baker in the cities of Jacksonville, Florida and Macclenny, Florida and include a large number of family. Listed in this family are Charles F. Duggan (deceased), Nina Duggan (retired), Jerry Duggan (deceased), Rhonda Duggan (deli manager at Publix Supermarket) and her children Crystal Smith (2 children) and Bobby Smith (1 child), Charles E. Duggan (deceased), Patricia Duggan (office manager) and her daughter Ashley Duggan (School Teacher), Jessica Duggan (2 children), as well as many others not listed. 
In modern day, the name is found throughout Ireland. In the north, Dugan, Dougan, and Doogan are common, a large portion descended from families originally in County Fermanagh. Doogan is common in County Donegal. Duggan is most prevalent in Dublin, Munster, and the majority of County Cork, County Tipperary, County Wexford, and County Waterford.
Dugan and Dougan are also common Scottish names. Throughout other English speaking countries, Dugan and its many variants, including Duggan, Dougan, Doughan, Doogan, and Duggin are widespread. Dugan ranked 1,705 in surname listings in the 1990 United States Census. In Great Britain, Duggan ranked 1,950 in surname listings from the 1881 Census, then surged to 1,025 in surname listings from the 1996 Electoral roll.
- Patrick Duggan (1813-1896) was an Irish Roman Catholic clergyman who served as the Bishop of Clonfert from 1872 until his death.
- Alan Dugan (1923 – 2003) was an American poet whose work won the National Book Award and the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry
- Alfred Duggan (1903-64) author and historian
- Seán Mór Ó Dubhagáin (d.1372), Irish Gaelic poet.
- Dennis Dugan (born 1946), American actor and film director
- James Dugan (1912-1967) - American historican and writer
- Jeff Dugan (born 1981), American football player with the Minnesota Vikings
- Jeremiah Duggan (1980–2003), British student who died in disputed circumstances linked to the LaRouche movement.
- Jim Duggan (born 1954), American professional wrestler known as "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan
- Joe Dugan (1897–1982), American baseball player from 1917–1931
- Hubert Duggan (1904-43) soldier and Member of Parliament
- General Michael Dugan (born 1937), former Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force
- Mike Doogan (born 1948), American writer, journalist and politician
- Raymond Smith Dugan, (1878–1940), American Astronomer, textbook author and professor at Princeton University
- Major General, Sir Winston Joseph Dugan (1877–1951), British administrator who served as governor of South Australia
- Tom Dugan (1889–1955), American actor who was chosen for the first all-talking feature film, Lights of New York.(1928) among hundreds of other Hollywood movies. Died in a road accident with a train in 1955.
- Rob Dougan (born 1969), music composer
- Winston Dugan, 1st Baron Dugan of Victoria (1877–1951), British administrator who served as governor of South Australia
- Mike Dugan (born 1956) American steel production Manager with Nucor Steel and sports blogger
- Duggan, a police detective Inspector as played by Tom Chadbon in the 1979 Doctor Who story City of Death, written by David Agnew - a pseudonym for the combined efforts of Douglas Adams and Graham Williams rewriting an original script by David Fisher
- Dum Dum Dugan, an officer of S.H.I.E.L.D. and is one of the most experienced members of Nick Fury's team, known for his marksmanship with rifles and for his impressive physique.
- Pat Dugan, a superhero from DC Comics, wears an armored suit called S.T.R.I.P.E. Former member of the Seven Soldiers of Victory and once the sidekick to the Star-Spangled Kid. Stepfather to Courtney Whitmore.
- Michael Dugan, CEO of EchoStar, the satellite company affiliated with Dish Network.
- Burke, Henry Patrick. The Burke-Duggan Family From Oppression to Freedom. [S.l.]: H.P. Burke, 1981.
- Duggan, Edward Vincent. Duggan, Walton, Martin Descendants of Bartholomew and Mary Cummings Duggan Including Family Biographical and Historical Data, John and Henrietta Shirley Wathen Including Ancestral Data, Joseph and Elizabeth Martin Walton (Wathen), Daniel and Elizabeth Livers Martin Including Ancestral and Historical Data. Baltimore, MD: Gateway Press, 2002.
- Murphy, Hilary. Families of Co. Wexford. Dublin: Geography Publications, 1986. ISBN 0-906602-07-6
- Nichols, Robert E. From the Cottage at Duggan's Cross A Duggan Family History: the Immigrant Generation with an Account of the Allied Heffernan Family. Hammond, Ind: R.E. Nichols, 1996.
- Ó Murchadha, Diarmuid. Family Names of County Cork. Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin, Ireland: Glendale Press, 1985. ISBN 0-907606-30-X
- http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm?fuseaction=History&Surname=Dugan&UserID= Retrieved 19 July 2008.
- http://www.census.gov/genealogy/names/dist.all.last Retrieved 2007-08-30
- Longley, Paul; Alex Singleton, Richard Webber and Daryl Lloyd. "Statistics on the name 'Duggan', used as a search term". SPLINT Project, University College London. The National Trust. Retrieved 2008-07-19.
- Dugan/Duggan/Dougan/Doogan Genealogy Homepage and Archive
- Site providing a history of the Dugan/Duggan/Dougan/Doogan surname
- Dugan Wiktionary Entry
|This page or section lists people with the surname Dugan. If an internal link intending to refer to a specific person led you to this page, you may wish to change that link by adding the person's given name(s) to the link.|