Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins|
|Studio album by Duke Ellington and Coleman Hawkins|
|Recorded||August 18, 1962
Van Gelder Studio, Englewood Cliffs
|Duke Ellington chronology|
|Coleman Hawkins chronology|
|The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide|||
All songs composed by Duke Ellington, except where otherwise stated.
- "Limbo Jazz" — 5:14
- "Mood Indigo" (Ellington, Barney Bigard) — 5:56
- "Ray Charles' Place" — 4:04
- "Wanderlust" (Ellington, Johnny Hodges) — 5:00
- "You Dirty Dog" — 4:19
- "Self-Portrait (of the Bean)" — 3:52
- "The Jeep Is Jumpin'" (Ellington, Hodges) — 4:49
- "The Ricitic" — 5:51
- "Solitude" (Ellington, Eddie DeLange) — 5:51
- Duke Ellington - piano
- Coleman Hawkins - tenor saxophone
- Harry Carney - bass clarinet, baritone saxophone
- Johnny Hodges - alto saxophone
- Lawrence Brown - trombone
- Ray Nance - violin, cornet
- Aaron Bell - bass
- Sam Woodyard - drums
- Bob Thiele (producer)
- Rudy Van Gelder (engineer)
- Joe Alper (photography)
- Jason Claiborne (graphic design)
- Stanley Dance (liner notes)
- Hollis King (art direction)
- Michael Cuscuna (liner notes, reissue producer)
- Erick Labson (digital remastering)
- Allmusic review
- DeMicheal, Don (March 28, 1963). Down Beat: 112. Missing or empty
- Swenson, J. (Editor) (1985). The Rolling Stone Jazz Record Guide. USA: Random House/Rolling Stone. p. 69. ISBN 0-394-72643-X.
- Billboard, Feb. 9, 1963, p. 29.
- Watrous, Peter. (December 17, 1995) "Duke Ellington Meets Coleman Hawkins" New York Times. Accessed September 19, 2007.
- CD reissue only. Solitude was until the 1995 CD reissue never part of the album. Originally issued on the compilation album The Definitive Jazz Scene-Volume 1 (Impulse! A-99) in the 1960s.