Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
|Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
Portrait by the court artist Georg David Matthieu of Prince Louis of Mecklenburg, oil painting
|Spouse||Princess Charlotte Sophie of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld|
|Issue||Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin
Sophia Frederica, Hereditary Princess of Denmark and Norway
|House||House of Mecklenburg|
|Father||Christian Ludwig II, Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
|Mother||Duchess Gustave Caroline of Mecklenburg-Strelitz|
6 August 1725|
|Died||12 September 1778
Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (German: Herzog Ludwig von Mecklenburg-Schwerin; 6 August 1725 – 12 September 1778) was heir to the Dukedom of Mecklenburg-Schwerin from 1756 to his death. He was also the father of the first Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin Frederick Francis I
Louis was born at Grabow, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, third child and second son of Christian Ludwig II, Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (1683–1756), (son of Frederick, Duke of Mecklenburg-Grabow and Landgravine Christine Wilhelmine of Hesse-Homburg) and his wife, Duchess Gustave Caroline of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (1694–1748), (daughter of Adolphus Frederick II, Duke of Mecklenburg-Strelitz and Duchess Marie of Mecklenburg-Güstrow).
After the death of the father in 1756, his brother Frederick succeed to the Dukedom. Since his brother remained unmarried and childless he was appointed heir, but he died in 1778, at the death of his brother in 1785 his son Frederick Francis, succeeded as the Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, and later Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
Louis married 13 May 1755 at Schwerin to Princess Charlotte Sophie of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (1731–1810), daughter of Francis Josias, Duke of Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, and his wife, Princess Anna Sophie of Schwarzburg-Rudolstadt.
They had one son and one daughter:
- Frederick Francis I, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (10 December 1756 – 1 February 1837); married in 1775 Princess Louise of Saxe-Gotha-Altenburg, had issue.
- Duchess Sophia Frederica of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (24 August 1758 – 29 November 1794); married in 1774 to Frederick, Hereditary Prince of Denmark and Norway, had issue.
Titles and Styles
- 6 August 1725 – 12 September 1778: His Highness Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin.
|Ancestors of Duke Louis of Mecklenburg-Schwerin|
Notes and sources
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Ludwig, Herzog von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- thePeerage.com - Ludwig Herzog von Mecklenburg-Schwerin
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Fürstliche Häuser, Reference: 1956
- Het Groothertogelijk Huis Mecklenburg, Bergen-op-Zoom, 1901–1902, Juten, W. J. F., Reference: 106