|Duke Montana, MC Duke, Il Generale|
|Birth name||Duccio Barker|
|Born||7 February 1976|
|Genres||West Coast Rap|
|Instruments||Rapping / DJ|
|Associated acts||Onyx, Club Dogo, Fabri Fibra|
Duccio Barker (Rome, 7 February 1975), better known as Duke Montana is an Italian-American underground rapper, actor and businessman, member of Italian hip hop crews Black Barz and ODEI Roma Clan and CEO of Golden Age Label. His style is a mix of Italian language with American language and slang. He collaborated with several Italian and American rappers, such as Club Dogo, Fabri Fibra, Emis Killa, Wu-Tang Clan, Ice-T, Onyx.
Duke Montana was born in Rome by American father and Italian mother. In the early years of his life he lived in Santa Ana ghetto, in Los Angeles. In early 90's, when he was fourteen, Duke founded his first hip-hop collective, Power Mc's, together with the producer Ice One and Julie P. with which he released the Power to the People LP. The project was then interrupted because Duke returned to USA. In these years he collaborated with important members of the American rap scene including Onyx, Ice-T, Wu Tang Clan and starred in the film Le amiche del cuore, directed by Michele Placido, playing the role of himself. During these years he spent his life between Corpus Christii, London and finally Los Angeles. Here he performed in many live concerts until 2000, when he definitely settled in Italy. After his EP as soloist, Atlantis Land, during year 2006 he began a close collaboration with Truceklan that culminated with his official entry in the crew. Their songs, such as Corpus Christii, produced together with Gel and Metal Carter, often contained references to violence, extreme sex and drug abuse.
In 2008 together with Noyz Narcos and other members of the crew he took part to the album Ministero dell'Inferno and later in 2010 to the album Guilty, including collaborations from Italian mainstream rap scene such as Club Dogo, Marracash and Fabri Fibra. During these years he performed in many concerts all around Italy and Switzerland. In 2011 he gave birth to the project Black Bandana Click, together with Metal Carter and Noyz Narcos, with the intention to publish an album, Klan Related, and three extra tracks. The project failed because of a sudden break between Duke and Noyz Narcos, due to a personal feud. In 2011 Noyz Narcos suggestivley attacked Duke in the song Snakes. Duke replied with an open dissing track named Stai messo male, in which Noyz is described as a poser, drug-addict, actually coming from a wealthy family. In other songs Montana accused Noyz of having given evidences to the police during several drug investigations which led to the arrest of some Duke's friends. However, by a decision of the label, the three songs of the incomplete project were released in a collection named B.B.C. Project Single.
Feud with Frankie HI-NRG
In 2009, when he still was a member of Truceklan, Italian police led several drug operations which involved many members of the crew. The investigations led to the seizure of over than 10 kilograms of drugs and to the arrest of eighteen people, also including Chicoria and Noyz Narcos, while Montana never had criminal record. In those days the rapper Frankie Hi-NRG MC, during an interview on the Italian national networks, declared:
Rap is a job, you have to be an author, a composer. If you want to use drugs, use it, but it should be used as an accessory, and never as a flag. I'm a rapper also but I never promulgate extreme sex or the use of drugs.
Truceklan replied to this provocation with a diss, wrote and sang by Duke Montana. In the intro of the videoclip some members of his crew, using a spray, write on a car Snuff It, Frankie. Later, an actor in the part of Frankie is represented to have sex with another man and finally is beaten up and forced to enter in an ambulance, driven by other members of the crew. In the final scene Duke and Noyz Narcos slash a copy of Frankie's last album in front of the camera. Frankie never replied to the diss and retired from the scene a few months after.
In October 2011 Duke officially left the crew Truceklan and began a career as soloist flanked by the collaboration, at same time, with ODEI Roma Clan, historical rival of his former crew. After leaving Propaganda Records he released the album Grind Music II, self-produced and distributed by Edel Music. In in the same year he published his further album, Stay Gold, produced by Don Joe and Sick Luke. It included collaboration with the American hip-hop group Onyx (Bloodsport), Club Dogo (Carta Viola), Fabri Fibra (Alphabet Killers), also including other mainstream and underground rappers. Still in 2012 he recorded the track Smashin' (Italian Remix) featuring Onyx and The Beatnuts. Currently he is the president of Golden Age Biz, his personal label, which has a partnership with Sony BMG for distribution and Live Nation for his live tours. It also deals with the production of Black Barz and other emerging underground rappers. On the 15 July 2012 Duke Montana opened the first and the only Italian date of the American rapper Wiz Khalifa, in Milan, together with Fedez and Baby K.
In 2013 the rapper Seppia, also a former member of Truceklan, finally came out of prison. In the same year Duke, together with Seppia, Muggio, and with his own son Sick Luke, he founded the Black Barz crew, maintaining a parallel collaboration with the ODEI Clan. They released three singles, including the respective videoclips: Cannibal Ferox, produced by The Alchemist, Black Barz Anthem and First Blood. In the month of July he announced the release of two next albums, the first of whom, Grind Muzik 3, as soloist. The second, named Black Barz Mixtape, will be the first official LP of the crew.
During his career as actor he took part to several regular and porn movies, in each of which he always played the role of himself. Most of the scenes are criminal themed or however describe the social unrest and corruption proper of the Italian society:
- 1992 – Le amiche del cuore directed by Michele Placido.
- 2007 - Mucchio selvaggio together with Club Dogo and Truceklan, porn movie.
- 2008 - Moralità Corrotta, porn movie.
- 2008 - Mala Vita, porn movie.
- 2010 - Ganja Fiction, reportage
- 1991 – Power to the People (Power Mc's)
- 2000 – Atlantis Land - Virgin Records
- 2008 – Ministero dell'Inferno (Truceklan) - Propaganda Records
- 2008 – Street Mentality - Propaganda Records
- 2010 – Grind Muzik Mixtape - Propaganda Records
- 2012 – Grind Muzik II prod. Don Joe, Shablo, Sick Luke - Edel Music
- 2012 – Stay Gold prod. Don Joe and Sick Luke - Sony BMG
- 2013 - Black Barz Mixtape - Golden Age Label
- 2014 - Grind Muzik III Mixtape - Sony BMG (preview)
- 2000 – Atlantis World
- 2000 – Da Hip Hop Witch (soundtrack)
- 2006 – Lovin' Lola (Summer Hits 2006)
- 2009 – Diss Track feat. Truceklan
- 1997 – Street Knowledge feat. Ice One
- 2000 – Veteranos por Vida feat. Flaminio Maphia
- 2006 – Questa Vita Mixtape feat. Fabri Fibra
- 2006 – Corpus Christii feat. Noyz Narcos and Metal Carter prod. Lou Chano
- 2006 – Skit feat. Metal Carter (from I più corrotti)
- 2007 – Lavaggio del Cervello feat. Club Dogo and Truceklan
- 2008 – Santo Trafficante feat. Inoki, Duke Montana – Split Personality (from Ghiaccio – Il Principio)
- 2008 – Duke Montana feat. Inoki, Seppia – Senza Soldi (da Street Mentality)
- 2008 – The Gates of Hell feat. Noyz Narcos (prod. Noyz Narcos & Lou Chano)
- 2008 – Bersaglio Accerchiato feat. Noyz Narcos
- 2008 – We Crave Hardcore Rap feat. Metal Carter (prod. Rough)
- 2008 - Keep Your Mouth Shut feat. Noyz Narcos
- 2009 – Every Day feat. Gast
- 2009 – Runnin'This Rap Shit feat. Gast e Chicoria
- 2010 – Roma Violenta feat. Noyz Narcos
- 2010 – Sottosuolo feat. Metal Carter
- 2010 - Black Bandana feat. Noyz Narcos
- 2011 – Guè Pequeno – Mind Your Bizness feat. Duke Montana and Noyz Narcos (from Fast Life)
- 2011 - Noyz Narcos feat. Duke Montana and Metal Carter - Bloodbath
- 2011 - Noyz Narcos feat. Duke Montana - Su le Lame
- 2011 - Noyz Narcos feat. Duke Montana - Stop Hating
- 2012 – Lonely Streets feat.Chicoria
- 2012 – Polvere alla Polvere feat. Chicoria
- 2012 – Buster feat. Lil'Ortega
- 2012 – Bloodsport feat. Onyx
- 2012 – Smashin' feat. Onyx
- 2012 – Non sei come noi feat. Emis Killa e Mr. Entics
- 2012 – Alphabet Killers feat. Fabri Fibra
- 2013 – Carta Viola feat. Club Dogo
- 2013 - Scende la notte feat. Mr. Phil (from Poteri Forti)
- Rock-it, Duke Montana begins his career as solist
- Outsider Music - Duke Montana's "Grind Muzik II"
- MTV - Duke Montana's Biography
- RapBurger - The "King of the Underground", Duke Montana's Life
- Atom Heart Magazine, interview with Duke Montana.
- Rockit - Duke Montana vs Noyz Narcos: Who is the winner?
- Repubblica - Eighteen underground rappers and writers arrested in Rome
- Only Hip Hop - Frankie HI NRG attacks Truceboys
- Rapper.it - Frankie HI-NGR Mc and Duke Montana
- Outsiders Music - Duke Montana released "Stay Gold"
- RBL Music Italia, Duke Montana opens Wiz Khalifa's Italian tour
- Youreporter.it - Black Barz, the new underground hip-hop crew
- Rock-it, Truceklan and Club Dogo acted in hard movie Mucchio Selvaggio.