Duke of Alba
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
Part of a series on the
|History of Spain|
Duke of Alba (Spanish: Duques de Alba de Tormes) is a Spanish title of nobility accompanied with the dignity Grandee of Spain. In 1472 the title Count of Alba de Tormes, inherited by García Álvarez de Toledo, was elevated to the title Duke of Alba by King Henry IV of Castile.
Duke of Alba de Tormes is one of the main titles of Spain and historically, one of the most powerful families in Europe; which gives its name to the House of Alba. However, it should be borne in mind that three families have succeeded in the Duchy: the original House of Alba or the Álvarez de Toledo, extinct in 1755, the second House of Silva, extinct in 1802, and the third and current House of FitzJames, derived from the illegitimate son of James the VII of Scotland, II of England.
Famous Dukes include Don Fernando Alvarez de Toledo, 3rd Duke of Alba, governor of the Spanish Netherlands (references to "Alba" (Alva in Dutch, particularly in the context of Dutch history, are usually about him); and Doña María del Pilar de Silva, 13th Duchess of Alba, a muse of the painter Francisco Goya.
Lords of Alba de Tormes (1429–1438)
Counts of Alba de Tormes (1438–1472)
- Don Hernando Álvarez de Toledo, 1st Count of Alba
- Don García Álvarez de Toledo, 2nd Count of Alba (created Duke of Alba in 1472)
Dukes of Alba de Tormes (since 1472)
- Don García Álvarez de Toledo, 1st Duke of Alba
- Don Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo, 2nd Duke of Alba
- Don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo y Pimentel, 3rd Duke of Alba (1507–1582)
- Don Fadrique Álvarez de Toledo, 4th Duke of Alba
- Don Antonio Álvarez de Toledo, 5th Duke of Alba
- Don Fernando Álvarez de Toledo, 6th Duke of Alba
- Don Antonio Álvarez de Toledo, 7th Duke of Alba
- Don Antonio Álvarez de Toledo, 8th Duke of Alba
- Don Antonio Álvarez de Toledo, 9th Duke of Alba
- Don Francisco Álvarez de Toledo, 10th Duke of Alba
- Doña María Teresa Álvarez de Toledo, 11th Duchess of Alba
- Don Fernando de Silva, 12th Duke of Alba
- Doña María del Pilar de Silva, 13th Duchess of Alba (1762–1802)
- Don Carlos Miguel Fitz-James Stuart, 14th Duke of Alba—see also list of Duke of Berwick
- Don Jacobo Fitz-James Stuart, 15th Duke of Alba
- Don Carlos María Fitz-James Stuart, 16th Duke of Alba
- Don Jacobo Fitz-James Stuart, 17th Duke of Alba
- Doña María del Rosario Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart y Silva, 18th Duchess of Alba
- Don Carlos Fitz-James Stuart, 19th Duke of Alba
- Hobbs, Nicolas (2007). "Grandes de España" (in Spanish). Retrieved 15 October 2008.
- Instituto de Salazar y Castro (2012). Elenco de Grandezas y Títulos Nobiliarios Españoles (in Spanish). periodic publication. Hidalguia Ediciones. ISBN 9788493931339. Retrieved 11 January 2013.