Duke of Mantua
The Duke of Mantua was the ruler of the Lombard Duchy of Mantua, held by the Gonzaga family from 1328 to 1708. The Gonzaga family ruled initially as "Captains General of the People" until 1433, when Gianfrancesco Gonzaga assumed the title of "Marquis of Mantua". In 1530, Federico II received the title of Duke of Mantua. In 1531, the family acquired the vacant Marquisate of Montferrat through marriage.
Lords of Mantua
- Ludovico I (ruled 1328–60)
- Guido (ruled 1360–69), son of Ludovico
- Ludovico II (1369–82), son of Guido
- Francesco I (ruled 1382–1407), son of Ludovico II
- Gianfrancesco (ruled as Lord 1407–1433), son of Francesco I
Marquises of Mantua
- Gianfrancesco, ruled as the first Marquis (1433–1444)
- Ludovico III (ruled 1444–78), son of Gianfrancesco
- Federico I (ruled 1478–84), son of Ludovico III
- Francesco II (ruled 1484–1519), son of Federico I
- Federico II (ruled as Marquis 1519–1530), son of Francesco II
Dukes of Mantua
- Federico II (ruled as the first Duke 1530–40; also Marquis of Montferrat from 1536)
- Francesco III (ruled 1540–50), son of Federico II
- Guglielmo (ruled 1550–87; also Duke of Montferrat from 1574), brother of Francesco III
- Vincenzo I (ruled 1587–1612), son of William; his daughter, Eleonora (1598–1655) married Ferdinand II, Holy Roman Emperor
- Francesco IV (ruled 1612), son of Vincenzo I
- Ferdinando (ruled 1612–26), brother of Francesco IV
- Vincenzo II (ruled 1626–27), brother of Ferdinando
The Duchy of Mantua then fell to the junior branch of the Gonzagas, the Dukes of Nevers.
- Charles I (ruled 1627–37)
- Charles II (ruled 1637–65), grandson of Charles I — his sister, Eleonora married Ferdinand III, Holy Roman Emperor
- Ferdinand Charles (ruled 1665–1708), son of Charles II
In 1708, Mantua was seized by the Habsburgs, ending Gonzaga rule. Montferrat's territories were ceded to Duke of Savoy. The emperor compensated the Duke of Lorraine, heir in female line of the Gonzaga, for loss of Montferrat by ceding Duchy of Teschen to the Lorraine.
- "A complete genealogical tree of the House of Gonzaga"
- "The House of Gonzaga, heirs to the sovereign marquessate of Mantua"
- I Gonzaga di Mantova