Dunaden won 2011 Hong Kong Vase
|Breeder||Comte E Decazes|
|Owner||Pearl Bloodstock Pty|
|Prix de Barbeville (2011)
Geelong Cup (2011)
Melbourne Cup (2011)
Hong Kong Vase (2011)
Caulfield Cup (2012)
Dunaden is a French-trained thoroughbred racehorse. He won the 2011 Melbourne Cup, ridden by Christophe Lemaire, trained by Mikel Delzangles. The horse is owned by Sheikh Fahad al Thani and managed by David Redvers. He is the first horse to win the Hong Kong Vase after winning the Melbourne Cup.
The horse was purchased for €1,500 as a foal at the Arqana mixed December sale in France in 2006.
The foal was purchased by Dutch owner/breeder Jetty van der Hulst and grew up at her stud in Nederweert (The Netherlands). As a 3-year-old he was claimed out of her stable after winning in France.
Dunaden showed his Melbourne Cup credentials in early 2011 with a win in the Prix de Barbeville and a second in the Prix Vicomtesse Vigier. He prepared for the Melbourne Cup in Australia by winning the Geelong Cup. In the Melbourne Cup, he settled back in the running and finished down the middle of the track, hitting the line alongside Red Cadeaux in the closest photo-finish ever in the Melbourne Cup. He went on to win the prestigious Hong Kong Vase a few weeks later with Red Cadeaux coming home in third.
On 20 October 2012 Dunaden maintained his undefeated run in Australian races with a win in the 2012 Caulfield Cup, following an outstanding ride from jockey Craig Williams. In doing so, Dunaden became the first horse to win the Caulfield Cup from wider than barrier 15 (starting from barrier 18), as well as the first horse to win after being the original horse allotted with the top weight at acceptances (58 kg).
Dunaden sired by Nicobar, a rare Byerley Turk sireline, Nicobar retired stud at 2005.
- Garvey, Andrew (1 November 2011). "The closest of calls". The Age. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- "Melbourne Cup decision for Dunaden to be made today". News.com.au (News Ltd). 24 July 2012. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- Young, Craig (2 November 2011). "After a steak, a ride into the racing history books". The Age. Retrieved 1 November 2011.
- Cormick, Brendan (20 October 2012). "Dunaden wins $2.65m Caulfield Cup courtesty of Williams' magic ride". The Australian. Retrieved 20 October 2012.
- Dunaden: sold for $1500, wins $3.6m - The Age. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
|This article about a racehorse is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|