Dunay, Primorsky Krai
|- Urban-type settlement -|
Location of Primorsky Krai in Russia
|Administrative status (as of November 2011)|
|Federal subject||Primorsky Krai|
|Administratively subordinated to||Fokino Town Under Krai Jurisdiction|
|Municipal status (as of October 2011)|
|Urban okrug||Fokino Urban Okrug|
|Population (2010 Census)||7,581 inhabitants|
|Time zone||VLAT (UTC+10:00)|
Dunay (Russian: Дунай; IPA: [dʊˈnaj]) is an urban locality (an urban-type settlement) under the administrative jurisdiction of the closed town of Fokino, Primorsky Krai, Russia, located on the coast of the Gulf of Peter the Great. Population: 7,581 (2010 Census); 8,599 (2002 Census).
It was formed in 1907 when several families from what is now Moldova arrived at the maritime village of Petrovka. However, these families were not accepted at Petrovka and were advised to move to a small Korean settlement at the bay of Konyushkov. The advice was taken, and the first clay huts were built by these families in a location that is now home to a railroad station. According to the recollections of those who have been living there for a long time, the village of Dunay received its name because when the first settlers saw a small but deep river after arriving at the bay of Konyushkov, they said "We left one big Dunay and arrived at another small one." The word Dunay in Russian refers to the Danube River.
During the first year the settlers did not manage to grow anything as the month of July was already ending, and for an entire year they had to rely on what the nearby Korean farmers were selling. The settlers began to grow soy, wheat, beans, and corn during the spring of the following year. During the fall, the wheat was ground at a private mill, but it turned out to be too bitter to be eaten—a result of the fog and humidity in the region. Due to this incident, the settlers did not continue to grow wheat, and to this day wheat is not grown in this region. The settlers eventually moved to the sea and caught fish, trawled chilim (a type of shrimp), and gathered scallops, mussels, and sea cucumbers from the bottom of the sea. These goods were shipped to Vladivostok on sailboats to be sent to restaurants and bazaars, and the settlers received in exchange sugar, salt, matches, and other materials.
During the Civil War, a partisan detachment headed by Fyodor Usaty fought on the territory of the settlement. This group defended the island of Putyatin from attacks by the Whites and by Japanese interventionists.
In 1929, a fishing guild was established at the bay of Konyushkov. Herring, flounder, and perch were caught at the guild as well as salmon during the fall. The fish were salted and then sent to Vladivostok.
In 1934, a diving facilities was established on the coast. Crabs, scallops, mussels, and sea cucumbers were gathered. Production was developed at a fish factory located in this region. Everything that was produced was sent to be exported across the border.
In 1937, a railroad linked the settlement of Dunay with the settlement of Smolyaninovo; however, it was not until 1940 when the first passenger train traveled between the two settlements.
The settlement has two high schools. The main business in the area is ship repair. The historical part of the settlement, known as Stary Dunay, is home to dachas where local villagers live.
- Law #161-KZ
- Decision #384
- Russian Federal State Statistics Service (2011). "Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года. Том 1" [2010 All-Russian Population Census, vol. 1]. Всероссийская перепись населения 2010 года (2010 All-Russia Population Census) (in Russian). Federal State Statistics Service. Retrieved June 29, 2012.
- Правительство Российской Федерации. Федеральный закон №107-ФЗ от 3 июня 2011 г. «Об исчислении времени», в ред. Федерального закона №248-ФЗ от 21 июля 2014 г. «О внесении изменений в Федеральный закон "Об исчислении времени"». Вступил в силу по истечении шестидесяти дней после дня официального опубликования (6 августа 2011 г.). Опубликован: "Российская газета", №120, 6 июня 2011 г. (Government of the Russian Federation. Federal Law #107-FZ of June 31, 2011 On Calculating Time, as amended by the Federal Law #248-FZ of July 21, 2014 On Amending Federal Law "On Calculating Time". Effective as of after sixty days following the day of the official publication.).
- Russian Federal State Statistics Service (May 21, 2004). "Численность населения России, субъектов Российской Федерации в составе федеральных округов, районов, городских поселений, сельских населённых пунктов – районных центров и сельских населённых пунктов с населением 3 тысячи и более человек" [Population of Russia, Its Federal Districts, Federal Subjects, Districts, Urban Localities, Rural Localities—Administrative Centers, and Rural Localities with Population of Over 3,000] (XLS). Всероссийская перепись населения 2002 года [All-Russia Population Census of 2002] (in Russian). Retrieved August 9, 2014.
- Законодательное Собрание Приморского края. Закон №161-КЗ от 14 ноября 2001 г. «Об административно-территориальном устройстве Приморского края», в ред. Закона №331-КЗ от 19 декабря 2013 г. «Об изменении категории посёлка городского типа Горный, о преобразовании Горненского городского поселения, входящего в состав Кировского муниципального района Приморского края, и внесении изменений в отдельные законодательные акты Приморского края». Вступил в силу со дня официального опубликования. Опубликован: "Красное знамя Приморья", №69 (119), 29 ноября 2001 г. (Legislative Assembly of Primorsky Krai. Law #161-KZ of November 14, 2001 On the Administrative-Territorial Structure of Primorsky Krai, as amended by the Law #331-KZ of December 19, 2013 On Changing the Category of the Urban-Type Settlement of Gorny, on the Transformation of Gornenskoye Urban Settlement Within Kirovsky Municipal District of Primorsky Krai, and on Amending Several Legislative Acts of Primorsky Krai. Effective as of the official publication date.).
- Дума городского округа ЗАТО город Фокино. Решение №384 от 25 марта 2005 г. «Устав городского округа ЗАТО город Фокино», в ред. Решения №181-МПА от 24 июля 2014 г. «О внесении изменений в Устав городского округа ЗАТО город Фокино». (Duma of the Urban Okrug of the Closed Administrative-Territorial Formation of the Town of Fokino. Decision #384 of March 25, 2005 Charter of the Urban Okrug of the Closed Administrative-Territorial Formation of the Town of Fokino, as amended by the Decision #181-MPA of July 24, 2014 On Amending the Charter of the Urban Okrug of the Closed Administrative-Territorial Formation of the Town of Fokino. ).