Dunbar Vocational High School
|Dunbar Vocational High School|
“Restoring the Legacy of Excellence”
|3000 S. King Drive.
Chicago, Illinois, 60616
|School type||Public Secondary Vocational|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Dunbar Vocational High School (also known as Dunbar Vocational Career Academy, or DVCA) is a public 4-year vocational high school located in the Bronzeville neighborhood on the South Side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. The school is operated by the Chicago Public Schools district. It is named in honor of the African-American poet, novelist, and playwright Paul Laurence Dunbar. Dunbar opened in 1942 as a trade school.
- Michelle Gordon is a national and international award-winning martial artist.
- Jennifer Hudson is an Academy Award-winning actress (Dreamgirls) and singer.
- Ronnie Lester is a former NBA guard (1980–86), who was drafted in the first round of the 1980 NBA Draft. He was a member of the Los Angeles Lakers when they won the 1985 NBA Championship.
- Jimmy D. Lane is a celebrated blues guitarist who has recorded with Eric Clapton, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Van Morrison, Jimmy Rogers
- Lou Rawls was a soul, R & B, jazz, and blues, singer (You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine, Love Is a Hurtin' Thing).
- Bernard Shaw is a former journalist and news anchor, perhaps best known for his work at CNN (1980–2001).
- Mr. T (Lawrence Tureaud) is an actor (Rocky III, The A-Team).
- Cynda Williams is an actress (Mo Better Blues)
- Barbara Acklin Sixties and Seventies Soul Singer
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Chicago Public Schools: Dunbar". Chicago Public Schools. Retrieved 3 March 2014.
- "Chicago (Dunbar)". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 31 December 2009. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "Institution Summary for Dunbar High School". AdvacedED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 4 January 2010.
- "School Clubs". Directory. Dunbar High School. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- "Dunbar at a glance". Chicago Sun-Times. December 29, 1993. 76.
- "IHSA Season Summaries". Illinois High School Association (IHSA). 16 November 2009. Retrieved 5 January 2010.
- Bill Zwecker. "Sweet home Hudson - Holiday special brings the singer back to familiar sites". Chicago Sun-Times. December 9, 2009. 31.
- "Jimmy D. Lane ALLMUSIC Bio Page".