|Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Deputy Prime Minister|
5 September 2012
|Prime Minister||David Cameron|
|Preceded by||Jo Swinson|
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Constituency Created|
|Born||16 June 1977|
|Political party||Liberal Democrat|
|Alma mater||New College, Oxford|
Duncan John Hames (born 16 June 1977) is a British Liberal Democrat politician. He has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for the Chippenham constituency in Wiltshire since the 2010 general election. He currently serves as Parliamentary Private Secretary to the Deputy Prime Minister, Nick Clegg, a post he succeeded his wife Jo Swinson in.
Hames was born in Hertfordshire and attended Watford Grammar School for Boys. He studied PPE at New College, Oxford, where he was an executive officer of the Oxford University Student Union and represented the Oxford Union in debating competitions.
After graduating from Oxford, Hames trained as an accountant with Deloitte. In June 2000, at the age of 23, he stood for the Liberal Democrats in the Tottenham by-election which was called after the death of Bernie Grant, coming second to Labour's David Lammy with 19 per cent of the vote. He was then the Liberal Democrat candidate in his home constituency of Watford at the 2001 general election. He moved to Holt in Wiltshire, and from 2003 to 2007 served as a member of West Wiltshire District Council. He joined the board of the South West of England Regional Development Agency in 2003, and was the Lib Dem candidate for the Westbury, Wiltshire, constituency at the 2005 general election. He thus achieved the remarkable feat of having stood for election to Parliament on behalf of a major political party on three separate occasions before his 28th birthday, at a time when the minimum age for candidates was 21.
In July 2006, shortly after the creation of a new Chippenham county constituency, Hames was selected as his party's first candidate for it, and his success at the 2010 general election gave Wiltshire its first Liberal member of parliament in 86 years.
On 13 May 2011 Hames married fellow Lib Dem MP Jo Swinson. In June 2013 the couple announced that they were expecting their first child.  On 22 December 2013, their son Andrew Lennox Marshall Hames was born weighting 7lb 10oz.
- London Gazette, LIST OF MEMBERS RETURNED TO SERVE IN PARLIAMENT AT THE GENERAL ELECTION 2010 at london-gazette.co.uk
- "Duncan Hames - Parliamentary candidates - BBC". news.bbc.co.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-24.
- Duncan Hames at hustings.com
- Lib Dems select Duncan Hames to stand for the new Chippenham constituency, dated 15 July 2006, at duncanhames.org.uk
- "Duncan Hames Wilfred Emmanuel-Jones Chippenham, first Wiltshire MP". www.thisisbath.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-05-08.
- Election 2010: Chippenham, BBC News
- Duncan Hames MP official constituency website
- Duncan Hames MP Liberal Democrats profile
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 1803–2005
- Current session contributions in Parliament at Hansard
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- Profile at BBC News Democracy Live
- The Lib Dems' rising star Ethos Journal
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|New constituency||Member of Parliament for Chippenham
2010 – present