Dundas, New South Wales
Sydney, New South Wales
The Ponds Creek which flows through Dundas
|Population||3,880 (2011 census)|
|Location||22 km (14 mi) NW of Sydney CBD|
|LGA(s)||City of Parramatta|
|Federal Division(s)||Parramatta, Bennelong|
Dundas is a Northern suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Dundas is located 22 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government area of the City of Parramatta. It is well known for being a leafy green suburb, notably for its Ponds Walk which follows the Ponds Subiaco Creek.
Dundas and surrounding areas were originally known as "The Ponds", a name still reflected in The Ponds Creek. The first private land grants in Sydney made in 1791 were in what is now North East Dundas and adjoining Dundas Valley and Ermington.
The name Dundas was first used in the area in 1799, named for the Dundas family of Scotland. There are over 100 places named in their honour, mostly in parts of the former British Empire.
According to the 2011 census, there were 3,880 residents in Dundas. 56.0% of people were born in Australia. The most common other countries of birth were China 7.8%, Korea, Republic of (South) 4.0% and India 2.2%. Almost half of residents spoke a language other than English at home (44.2%) with the top languages being Mandarin 8.9%, Cantonese 6.3%, Korean 4.8%, Arabic 2.9% and Italian 1.1%. The majority of households were families (75.8%) and there were also single person households (20.4%) and a small amount of group households (3.8%).
Dundas railway station is on the Carlingford line of the Sydney Trains network. To the south, the next station is Rydalmere and to the north, Telopea. The station is located on Station Street, connects to Kissing Point Road by footpath. Sydney Buses routes that pass through Dundas include the 545, a Parramatta to Chatswood service via Kissing Point Road, the 521, a Parramatta to Eastwood service via Park Road, and the 550, a Chatswood to Parramatta service via Kissing Point Road.
- St Patrick's Marist College Dundas, located on Kirby Street, is a Catholic secondary school and plays host to the Shamrocks Dundas JRLFC Football Club.
- Dundas Public School is located on Kissing Point Road, opposite Calder Road.
- The local Anglican Church meets at Telopea on Saturday evenings and at Dundas on Sundays.
- The Church of Scientology's Sydney Rehabilitation Project Force is located in Dundas.
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (31 October 2012). "Dundas (State Suburb)". 2011 Census QuickStats. Retrieved 1 May 2013.
- "Dundas". Geographical Names Register (GNR) of NSW. Geographical Names Board of New South Wales. Retrieved 5 August 2013.
- "Dundas Telopea Anglican Church". Retrieved 2013-12-06.
- Ortega, Tony (2012-02-14). "Scientology's Shocking Treatment of Children Held in a Suburban Labor Camp". Blogs.villagevoice.com. Retrieved 2013-11-27.