Dunedin High School
|Dunedin High School|
|1651 Pinehurst Road
Dunedin, Florida, United States
|Type||Comprehensive Public High School|
|School district||Pinellas County Schools|
|Principal||Reuben C. Hepburn|
|Assistant Principals||Eric Allen, Tom Brittain, Antelia Campbell, Kathy Rossi|
|Mascot||Freddie the Falcon|
Dunedin High School is a high school in Dunedin, Florida, U.S. It is operated by the Pinellas County Schools school district. The school mascot is Freddie the Falcon. The official school colors are red and white, though red and black have become the unofficial, and more popular, school colors.
Community involvement and partnerships
- Parent-Teacher-Student Association (PTSA)
- School Advisory Council (SAC)
- Partnerships: Bright House Networks, Nielsen Media Research, Raytheon Company, City of Dunedin, Dunedin Chamber of Commerce
- Award-winning volunteer program
Activities and clubs
- Academic Team, Chess Club, Anime Club, thespian honor society, BIRD'S EYE VIEW newspaper, Students' Coalition For Animal Rights (SCAR), Environmental Club, Cosmetology Club, Crime Watch, College Reach-Out Program (CROP), Future Business Leaders of America, Gay-Straight Alliance, Flight Central Dance Team, Falconaires, Madrigals, Tether-Ball Enthusiasts Club, Interact, Marine Science Club, Math Honors Team, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society, FIRST Robotics Club, Skills USA (formerly VICA), Spanish Honor Society, Steppers, Students Targeted for Educational Performance (STEP), The Talon yearbook, Key Club, French Club, Tri-M, Scottish Highlander Marching Band, Grade 4 Pipe and Drum Band, NJROTC.
The Naval Junior Reserve Officer's Training Corps program provides an opportunity for cadets to learn valuable leadership skills, citizenship skills, and the value of commitment, honor and courage (the Navy's core values). Dunedin High School's NJROTC unit has been awarded the Distinguished Unit award four times in a row, from 2007-2010. This award is the highest honor any NJROTC unit can earn. DHS's NJROTC unit has also won the state Orienteering championships for Florida, 3 years in a row, from 2007–2009. The Navy JROTC is the only one of five JROTC programs in the county.
Scottish Highlander Band
The Scottish Highlander Band is one of the biggest organizations on campus and most prominent. There are several different ensembles within the program including: Marching band, concert band, jazz band, percussion ensemble, orchestra, and pipe band. All of the ensembles mentioned have won many awards. In 2012-2013 school year the band added in a color guard
Notable Dunedin alumni
- Juan Garcia-Herreros virtuoso jazz musician and composer
- Michael Lutrell "Pinball" Clemons, player and coach in the Canadian Football League
- Crawford Ker, formerly of the Dallas Cowboys
- Lari White, Country Music and Actress - Cast Away
- David Nutter, Emmy Winning Director - "Band of Brothers" 2002 HBO Mini-series
- John Huston, PGA Tour member with 7 PGA Victories
- Brian Dopirak First-Baseman in the Toronto Blue Jays organization
- Scott Hemond, Catcher in the Oakland Athletics organization and other professional baseball teams
- Kidd Kraddick, radio host of Kidd Kraddick in the Morning from 1992 to 2013
- Amy Benz, Professional golfer in the LPGA from 1983 to 2000.