Dunmore, County Galway
|Elevation||75 m (246 ft)|
|Time zone||WET (UTC+0)|
|• Summer (DST)||IST (WEST) (UTC-1)|
|Irish Grid Reference||M515632|
The town was once part of a district called Conmaicne, also known as Conmaicne Dúna Móir. It was also known as Conmaicne Cenél Dubáin, after its ruling kindred.
The area came under the rule of the Uí Conchobair in the 12th century, and was for a while the capital of the king of Connacht, Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair, who died there in 1156.
- Dunmore McHales is the local Gaelic Athletic Association club.
- Dunmore Town AFC was founded in 1978 and has teams at all levels. Some of the underage teams play in the Roscommon League.
- Dunmore RFC was founded in 1977.
- Dunmore Demesne Golf Club was founded in 1998
- Michael J. Kennedy (1900–1978), Irish melodeon player
- Michael Donnellan (1900–1964), Clann na Talmhan politician
- Gideon Ouseley (1762–1839), evangelical preacher
- Henry Mossop (1729–1773), actor
- Tairrdelbach Ua Conchobair (1088–1156), King of Connacht and Irish High-King
- AI1095.10 Ua hEgra, king of Luigne, was slain by the Cenél Dubáin; and Luigne and western Connachta were vacated and [their inhabitants] came into Mumu.
Twin towns — Sister cities
Dunmore Town AFC
Dunmore Town AFC is Dunmore's local soccer team.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dunmore, County Galway.|
- List of abbeys and priories in Ireland (County Galway)
- List of towns and villages in Ireland
- Dunmore McHales
- http://www.patcomer.ie/ Some photographs of Dunmore included in the website
- On the History and Antiquities of the Parish of Dunmore by Rev. J. Neary