|This article does not cite any references or sources. (June 2013)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|• Summer (DST)||PDT (UTC+6)|
The foundation of city was laid in 1830. In 1849 it came under the British Rule and settlement operation in the city started in 1873 and concluded in April 1875. The district got its present name in 1873. Previously it was ascribed different names like Chak Bangar, Pirwala etc. Initially, it comprised 19 villages. Kahror Pacca and Dunyapur were annexed with it in 1924. Dunyapur is the oldest town of Lodhran. Lodhran was raised to the status of district in 1991 and comprised 424 villages. In 1992, fourteen more villages were included in the district. In 1991 Dunyapur gained the status of Tehsil.
Dunyapur has highest literacy rate among all the Tehsils of Southern Punjab. It is fertile city in education. There are many educational institutes providing education up to the level of graduation. Some main educational institutes are:
- Punjab Science College Dunyapur, a project of Punjab Group of Colleges
- Hannan Education System
- Allied School Dunyapur, a project of Allied Schools
- The Educators School, a project of Beacon House School Systems
- Dunyapur Public School
- Al-Rehmat HSC
- National Science College Dunyapur
- New Millat College of Science & Commerce
- Quaid-e-Azam College of Technology
- Ibn-e-Sina Girls HSC
- Executive College Dunyapur
- Govt. High School for Boys
- Govt. High School for Girls
- Govt. Degree College for Boys
- Govt. Degree College for Girls
- Abdullah Jan Educationals Girls High School Dunyapur
- PakSuperior Secondary School Tapasay wala kehror road Dunyapur
Approximate population of the town is about 35 thousands. This is a mix of people those who migrated from Eastern Punjab(India) at the time of partition in 1947 A.D. And other Distinct of western Punjab. The main Village in Dunyapur are:Chak No.362/W.B,319/W.B, Adda Zakheera, Makhdoom Aali, Jalla Arain, Misri Kot, 358/W.B, 355/W.B, 356/W.B,307/WB Sultan Ayoub Qattal and 343/W.B.
The main tribes and clans of this region are:
City is located on the E5 which is directly connected to N-5 National Highway linking Torkham and Karachi . It is the busiest highway of Pakistan. This city is also direct linked to Multan and Bahawalpur . There is also a railway station linking Dunyapur with other cities.
Dunyapur has fertile land. Main crops are cotton, wheat, sugarcane and corn. It supplies these products to other parts of Pakistan. Lodhran is the first district of Pakistan which directly exports cotton to China. In fruits orange, mangoes, guava and Syzygium cumini are produced and supplied.