Dupont from Pittston Township
|• Type||Borough Council|
|• Total||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Land||1.5 sq mi (3.9 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||720 ft (220 m)|
|• Density||1,800/sq mi (700/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
Dupont is a borough in the Greater Pittston area of Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, United States, which neighbors the city of Wilkes-Barre. The population was 2,711 at the 2010 census. The borough was originally called "Smithville", after its first group of settlers. It was a small Polish town where most of the jobs came from the local coal mine industry. Its name was changed to Dupont after the company called Dupont Explosives was built. Dupont Explosives were used in many mines across northeastern Pennsylvania in the late 19th to 20th century. Dupont Explosives was closed after the advancement of technology in gathering coal.
Dupont is located at (41.321680, -75.746285).
As of the census of 2000, there were 2,719 people, 1,228 households, and 789 families residing in the borough. The population density was 1,790.9 people per square mile (690.7/km²). There were 1,354 housing units at an average density of 891.8 per square mile (343.9/km²). The racial makeup of the borough was 99.23% White, 0.44% African American, 0.07% Asian, and 0.26% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.11% of the population.
There were 1,228 households out of which 18.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 46.7% were married couples living together, 13.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 35.7% were non-families. 32.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 17.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.21 and the average family size was 2.79.
In the borough the population was spread out with 15.9% under the age of 18, 6.3% from 18 to 24, 26.9% from 25 to 44, 24.5% from 45 to 64, and 26.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 88.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 84.3 males.
The median income for a household in the borough was $32,317, and the median income for a family was $39,250. Males had a median income of $28,431 versus $26,250 for females. The per capita income for the borough was $17,042. About 4.0% of families and 6.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 10.3% of those under age 18 and 7.8% of those age 65 or over.
The current mayor is George Legezdh. There are two churches located in the borough, Holy Mother of Sorrows Polish National Church and Sacred Heart of Jesus Church.
Dan Lello was elected mayor of Dupont borough in 2004 for office; he is currently still presiding over. 
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Dupont borough, Pennsylvania". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved April 11, 2012.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "Census of Population and Housing". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Resident Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". Population Estimates. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 11 December 2013.
- "LinkedIn", LinkedIn Corporation, 2014