Durga Charan Mohanty
||This article may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. (June 2011)|
|Durga Charan Mohanty
|Died||7 December 1985|
|Occupation||Author, dharmic writer, spiritualist|
Durga Charan Mohanty (Oriya:ଦୁର୍ଗାଚରଣ ମହାନ୍ତି, (1912–1985) was an Oriya Indian spiritual writer born in 1912 at Biratunga, a village under block Gop, near Konark, Odisha. The Oriya Sahitya Akademi has been awarded to him in 1956–58 due to his actively involvement in development of Oriya language and literature Being a disciple of Swami Nigamananda, he wrote many books and translated Nigamananda's own-written Bengali books to Oriya language. He was Secretary/Parichalaka of Nilachala Saraswata Sangha.
After reading Yogiguru (योगीगुरु) and Premikaguru (प्रेमिकगुरु) respectively, authored by Swami Nigamananda, at Raghunandanan Library, Puri, the vigraha(portrait) of Swami Nigamananda present in the books attracted him very much. At the same time he began worshiping this portrait and considered Nigamananda as his spiritual master and revered God. He began to search Nigamananda and finally met him in Nilachala Kutir Puri on 20 March 1930, Thursday. At that time he was only seventeen years old and a student of class IX in Puri district School. On first meeting he was overwhelmed by his appearance and realised Nigamananda as Ishwar. Since that day, he became a regular visitor to Nilachala Kutir for his darshan. He used to note down guru Nigamananda's sayings(upadesh), later he published these "upadesh"(gospels)in books like Nilachala Vani and Nigama Upadesh. Subsequently he wrote many books for Nilachala Saraswata Sangha and translated Nigamananda's originally written Bengali books, Brahamcharya Sadhana(ब्रह्मचर्य साधना), Yogi Guru (योगिगुरु), Gyani Guru(ज्ञानीगुरु), Tantrika Guru(तांत्रिकगुरु), and Premika Guru (प्रेमिकगुरु), into Oriya language. On Trilochan Ashtami, 5 June 1934, he was initiated as disciples of Swami Nigamananda. Being a disciple of Nigamananda, Mohanty spent his entire life on his service. Due to Mohanty's pioneer efforts over a hundred Nigamananda Ashrams were established and survive in Orissa. He continued to preach Nigamananda's philosophy till he left his physical body on 7 December 1985 at Biratunga.
Books on Durga Charan Mohanty
- Utkalre thakur shree shree Nigamananda o bhai durga charan (उत्कलरे ठाकुर श्री श्री निगमानंद ओ भाई दुर्गाचरण).
- Bhava Binimaya (भाव बिनिमय).
- Adarasa guruprana durgacharan bhai (आदर्श गुरुप्राण दुर्गाचरण भाई).
- Sarbabhouma guru shree shree thakur o parichalaka (सार्बभौम गुरु श्री श्री ठाकुर ओ परिचालक)
- Bhai (भाई)
+ Parichalakanka Bani (By Banchhanidhi Mishra)
- Books and publications
- Saraswata Granthabali(सारस्वत ग्र्न्थाबली)
- Brahamacharya Sadhana-ब्रह्मचर्य साधना]
- Nigama Granthamala (निगम ग्रन्थमाला)
Oriya Sahitya Akademi winner book Bhagwan Shankaracharya written by Durga Charan Mohanty ]]
- Shree Shree Thakur Nigamananda (श्री श्री ठाकुर निगमानंद)
- Nigam Lahari (निगम लहरी)
- Nigam Tatwa ( निगम तत्व)
- Shree Nigamananda Kathamruta (I, II & III) (श्री निगमानंद कथामृत १, २, ३)
- Nigam Upadesh (निगम उपदेश)
- Nilachala Vani (नीलाचल वाणी)
- Shree Shree Guru Gita (श्री श्री गुरुगीता)
- Vedanta Bibeka (वेदांत विवेक)
- Nigamananda Katha Sanghra ( I & II) (निगमानंद कथा संग्रह १,२)
- Sansar Pathe (Bhavana) (संसार पथे – भावना)
- Sansar Pathe (Siddhi) (संसार पथे – सिद्धि)
- Sansar Pathe (Sadhana) (संसार पथे – साधना)
- Sansar Pathe (Sangram) (संसार पथे – संग्राम)
- Bhakta Sammilani ( भक्त सम्मिलनी)
- Saraswata Sangha Nitti (सारस्वत संघ निति)
- Tatwa Mala (तत्व माला)
- Nirajana (नीराजना)
- Sangha Sevaka (संघ सेवक)
- Satti Charitra Mala (Adarsha Naari Jeeban) (सति चरित्र माला – आदर्श नारी जीवन)
- Satti Charitra Mala (Adarsha Gruhini) (सति चरित्र माला – आदर्श गृहिणी)
- Satti Charitra Mala (Adarsha Naari Tawta Sadhana) (सति चरित्र माला – आदर्श नारी तत्व)
- Satti Charitra Mala (Adarsa Janani) (सति चरित्र माला – आदर्श जननी)
- Sangha Sevaka (संघ सेवक)
- Other Writings
- Bhagwan Sankaracharya (भगवान शंकराचार्य) Oriya Biography-Travelogue
- Bali Bheta (बळी भेट).
- Kan Hela Re! -Samajika Nataka (कण हेला रे! -सामाजिक नाटक).
- Kichaka Badha (किच्चक बद्ध).
- Go Brahamana (गो ब्राह्मण).
Sri Durga Charan Mohanty was awarded with the prestigious Oriya Sahitya Akademi award ( an award given for working actively for the development of Oriya language and literature) by Oriya Sahitya Akademi for his outstanding contribution in the form of a written book Bhagawan Sankaracharya which was published in 1956–58.
News and Updates
Nilachala Saraswata Sangha celebrated 100th Birthday of Sri Durga Charan Mohanty with much fervor and spiritual enthusiasm on 9 November 2011 with approximate 3500 Nigamananda devotees at Biratunga. This function is started on 9 November 2011 and said to be continued till November 2012.
- Sahitya Akademi Award Winner,Durga Charan Mohanty.
- Durga Charan Mohanty NSS Puri's Secretary/Parichalaka.
- Nigamānanda; Disciple of Swami Nigamananda: Shri Durga Charan Mohanty (1997). The divine universal gospels of Sri Nigamananda: translation, a lucid word to word rendering to English. Amitabh Giri. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- [Nilachala Vani] Chapter – Utkal Bhakta Parichaya
- Krushna Singh Padhy (1997). The press in India: perspective in development and relevance. Kanishka Publishers, Distributors. p. 100. ISBN 978-81-7391-183-5. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Amulya Kumar Tripathy; Oriya Translator for Premika Guru, Yogi Guru, Tantrik Guru & Gyani Guru: D C Mohanty (Durga Charan Mohanty); Jayadeva (2006). The Gita Govinda of Sri Jayadev. Publication Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting, Government of India. Retrieved 6 June 2011.
- Mohanty, Durga Charan. "Nilachala Saraswata Sangha, Puri's' Publications , writer-translator Durga Charan Mohanty)". Nilachala Saraswata Sangha, Puri. Retrieved 10 December 2012.
- Saraswata Granthavali (सारस्वत ग्र्न्थाबली) Oriya translator Durga Charan Mohanty
- India. Office of the Registrar of Newspapers; 27 Vol of Books – Sangha Sevaka (1968). Press in India. Office of the Registrar of Newspapers. p. 583. Retrieved 20 July 2012.
- American Libraries Book Procurement Center, New Delhi (1972). Accessions list, India. American Libraries Book Procurement Center. p. 770. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Durga Charan Mohanty (1971). Ka'ṇa helā re!: sāmājika nāṭaka. Dāśaratha pustakāḷaẏa. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Durga Charan Mohanty (1969). Bāḷī bheṭa (kīcaka badha).. Dharmagrantha shṭora. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Durga Charan Mohanty (1970*). Go-brāhmaṇa. Kuḷamaṇi sāhu. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Official Listing(English)of Sahitya Akademi Award winners to writers in Oriya language.
- Official Listing(Oriya) of Sahitya Akademi Award winners to writers in Oriya language.
- Rohan D'Souza (2006). Drowned and dammed: colonial capitalism, and flood control in eastern India. Oxford University Press. p. 16. ISBN 978-0-19-568217-5. Retrieved 4 June 2011.
- Shri Durga Charan Mohanty's 100th birth day function has been started from 9 November 2011 at his own village Biratunga and would be continued to till November 2012 as published in HINEWS, Bhubaneswar
- Nilachala Saraswata Sangha Puri (nsspuri.org)
- Orissa Sahitya Akademy
- Nilachala Saraswata Sangha, Mumbai