Durham Regatta 2009 - University College Durham vs Newcastle University
|Date(s)||Second Weekend in June|
|Location(s)||River Wear, Durham|
|Next event||8th and 9th June 2013|
Durham Regatta is the premier rowing event in the North East of England, held each year on the second weekend in June on the River Wear which provides a picturesque setting for regattas and head races.
Known as the Henley of the North, Durham Regatta was formed several years before its more prestigious namesake in the south. Durham Regatta is the second oldest rowing regatta in England, preceded only by Chester Regatta. The first race was a six oared race in 1834 between University College Boat Club and a sheriff's crew.
Durham Regatta is a popular day out for residents and students at the University, providing the climax of the rowing year for most college rowers. Almost all colleges will compete across a variety of boat types and standards, and it is usually the chance to determine which college has the strongest crews of the year.
In 2008, Durham Regatta celebrated its 175th anniversary and to commemorate this, there was a variety of entertainment on the Saturday evening, culminating in a huge pyrotechnic display.
Events are competed over either the short (regatta) course, a 700 metre stretch of river which provides an excellent view of racing from start to finish, or the long (championship) course. The long course of 1800 metres takes in a number of sweeping bends and Elvet Bridge and ends near Prebends Bridge.
The blue riband event is the Grand Challenge Cup, which has most recently been dominated by Durham University Boat Club. This event is for Elite Men's Coxed Fours, and due to the introduction of the Prince Albert Challenge Cup for Student Coxed Fours at Henley Royal Regatta this event has proved to be useful practice for student crews from the University Boat Club and College Boat Clubs in the run up to the Royal Regatta.
- "Durham Bids to be UK City of Culture 2013: The North East's Best Kept Cultural Secret". artdaily.org. Retrieved 26 September 2009.
- BBC News (2005-06-11). "Thousands flock to Durham Regatta". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- The Northern Echo. "Cream of rowing talent compete in 176th Durham Regatta". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Scott Logic. "Scott Logic sponsors Durham Regatta". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Whatsonwhen. "Durham Regatta". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- BBC- Wear. "Rowers of the Durham Regatta". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- BBC- Wear. "Durham Regatta 2009". Retrieved 2009-09-26.
- Durham Regatta Home. "Durham Regatta". Retrieved 2009-09-26.