Durrës Archaeological Museum
|Durrës Archaeological Museum|
Contains notable Ancient Greek, Hellenistic and Roman displays
The Durrës Archaeological Museum (Albanian: Muzeu Arkeologjik) in Durrës, Albania, established in 1951, is the largest archaeological museum in the country. The museum is located near the beach and north of the museum are the 6th-century Byzantine walls, constructed after the Visigoth invasion of 481. The 1997 rebellion in Albania saw the museum seriously damaged and looted.
The bulk of the museum consists of artifacts found in the nearby ancient site of Dyrrhachium and includes an extensive collection from the Ancient Greek, Hellenistic and Roman periods. Items of major note include Roman funeral steles and stone sarcophagi, an elliptical colourful mosaic measuring 17 by 10 feet, referred to as The Beauty of Durrës, and a collection of miniature busts of Venus, testament to the time when Durrës was a centre of worship of the goddess.
In 2010, the Durrës Archaeological Museum is expected to undergo a total reconstruction. Despite the importance of archaeological objects, the museum is not an independent institution and is operated by the Regional Directorate of Durrës Monuments. The museum is supported by the Albanian Institute of Archaeology and the Academy of Sciences and intend it to become a national museum according to archaeologists such as Adi Anastasi and Luan Përzhita, given the historical significance of its artifacts and their illustration rich cultural heritage.
A fund has been opened by the Ministry of Tourism, Culture, Youth and Sports to provide the museum with a new research unit, its own scientific staff and laboratory and administrative body. Problems have been identified in the reconstruction process given that the museum is located near the sea faces erosion from the iodine content of salt and moisture and weathering.
- Saltzman, Michael (2003). The World of Learning 2004 (54 ed.). Europa Publications, Routledge. ISBN 1-85743-182-0.
- Knuth, Rebecca (2006). Burning books and leveling libraries: extremist violence and cultural destruction. Greenwood Publishing Group. p. 191. ISBN 0-275-99007-9.
- Durrës Guide, Direct Ferries
- Garwood, Duncan. Mediterranean Europe (9 ed.). Lonely Planet. p. 57. ISBN 1-74104-856-7.
- "Një muze kombëtar arkeologjik për Durrësin" (in Albanian). Lajme Shqiperia. July 16, 2010. Retrieved August 9, 2010.