Dust (2001 film)
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (January 2011)|
Dust DVD cover
|Directed by||Milcho Manchevski|
|Written by||Milcho Manchevski|
|Running time||127 minutes|
Dust (Macedonian: Прашина, Prašina, Prashina) is a 2001 Macedonian film starring Joseph Fiennes, David Wenham, Adrian Lester, Anne Brochet, Nikolina Kujača, Vera Farmiga and Rosemary Murphy. It was directed and written by Milcho Manchevski. The music was created by Kiril Džajkovski.
Shifting periodically between two parallel stories, Dust opens in present-day New York City with a young criminal, Edge (Adrian Lester), being confronted at gunpoint by an ailing old woman, Angela (Rosemary Murphy), whose apartment he is attempting to burglarize. While he awaits an opportunity to escape, she launches into a tale about two outlaw brothers, at the turn of the 20th century, who travel to Ottoman-controlled Macedonia. The two brothers have transient ill will between them, and they become estranged when confronted with a beautiful woman, Lilith (Anne Brochet).
In the New York storyline, Edge hunts for Angela's gold to pay back a debt, and gradually grows closer to her. In the Macedonian story, the brothers end up fighting for opposite sides of a revolution, with the religious Elijah (Joseph Fiennes) taking up sides with the Ottoman sultan and gunslinger Luke (David Wenham) joining "the Teacher" (Vlado Jovanovski), a Macedonian rebel.
Awards and nominations
The film was nominated for a Golden Reel Award.
- Dust at the Internet Movie Database
- Der 'Wilde Westen' des Balkans / The Wild West of the Balkans by Prof. Stilian Yotov (Sofia/Philosophie)
- Dust - Über Politik, Krieg und Film/ Dust - on Politics, War and Film by Dr. Iris Kronauer (Köln-Berlin/Geschichte)
- When A Story Hides the Story - Dust as a Form of Collective Rorschach Test by Erik Tängerstad (Lund/Geschichte-Filmtheorie)
- Luke Balkanwalker Shoots Down Corto Maltese: Milcho Manchevski's Dust As An Answer to the Western Cultural Colonialismby Svetlana Slapsak
- Катахрезис и Прашина (Прилози кон толкувањето на филмот Прашина од Милчо Манчевски) од д-р Бранислав Саркањац
- History in Dust by Roderic Coover (Film Quarterly, Volume 58, Issue 2, 2005)
- On unhappy endings, politics and storytelling by Richard Raskin, p.o.v. - A Danish Journal of Film Studies, (Number 16, 12/2003)