Dutch Fashion Awards
An international jury of professionals representing a cross-section of the international fashion industry decide objectively which upcoming Dutch fashion designer they expect is most likely to bring his/her label onto the international market.
Designers eligible to be nominated for the Dutch Fashion Awards need to match the following criteria:
- Graduated from a recognised (inter-)national fashion academy.
- Owns the Dutch nationality, or has been living and working in the Netherlands for at least 5 years.
- Runs his or her own registered enterprise.
- Has developed at least five collections under his or her own label.
- Shows a striking talent creating a fashion label with distinguished style and knows to present this convincingly.
- Is nominated by at least 3 members of the Academy of Dutch Fashion Design.
- Has already taken strategic steps onto the international fashion market.
Academy of Dutch Fashion Design
In order to guarantee an objective and independent vote, the Dutch Fashion Foundation invited a select group of national decision makers and key-players in fashion to serve on the Academy of Dutch Fashion Design. The members of the Academy of Dutch Fashion Design, including the winners of all previous editions of the Dutch Fashion Awards, each listed their individual top 10 of upcoming Dutch fashion designers, resulting in a pre-selection.
The members of the Academy of Dutch Fashion Design are: Amsterdam International Fashion Week, Arnhem Fashion Biennale, Dutch Fashion Foundation, Fonds BKVB, HTNK, Intres, Klavers van Engelen, Modefabriek, Modint, Monique van Heist, Prins Bernhard Cultuurfonds, Sjaak Hullekes and the World Fashion Centre.
From an international point of view the honorary member of the international jury then chooses the finalists who will present themselves and their label to the full international jury on the day of the event.
Dutch Fashion Awards 2010
The fourth edition of the Dutch Fashion Awards took place at the Grote Kerk in The Hague on the 5th of November 2010.
|Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Award||Iris van Herpen|
|Dutch Fashion Incubator Award||Iris van Herpen|
|International Fashion Incubator Award||Bas Kosters|
|Dutch Fashion Accessory Award||Iris van Herpen|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Femme||Stacey Rookhuizen|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Homme||Jean Paul Paula|
Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards 2009
The third edition of the Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards took place at the Grote Kerk in The Hague on the 6th of November 2009.
Nominees: Jeroen van Tuyl, Iris van Herpen, Sjaak Hullekes, Mada van Gaans, Bas Kosters
Jury members: Beppe Angiolini, Valentina Maggi, Jean Jacques Picart, Marc Gysemans, Wilbert Das
|Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Award||Sjaak Hullekes|
|Dutch Fashion Incubator Award||Bas Kosters|
|Dutch Fashion Media Award||Iris van Herpen|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Femme||Bonnie Orleans Voss|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Homme||Ferry van der Nat|
Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards 2008
The second edition of the Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards took place at the Beurs van Berlage in Amsterdam on the 7th of November 2008.
Nominees: Francisco van Benthum, G+N, Percy Irausquin, Jeroen van Tuyl, Monique van Heist, Mada van Gaans, Joline Jolink
Jury members: Christine Ellis, Terron Schaefer, Franck Jacquard, Paul Helbers, Andreina Longhi, Beppe Angiolini
|Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Award||Monique van Heist|
|Dutch Fashion Incubator Award||Monique van Heist|
|Dutch Fashion Media Award||Monique van Heist|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Femme||Aynouk Tan|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Homme||Carlo Wijnands|
Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards 2007
The first edition of the Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards took place at the Beurs van Berlage in Amsterdam on 1 November 2007.
Nominees: Francisco van Benthum, Spijkers en Spijkers, Mada van Gaans, Klavers van Engelen, Jeroen van Tuyl, Jan Taminiau, Daryl van Wouw
Jury members: Maria Luisa Poumaillou, Valentina Maggi, Bernadette Whitmann, Christine Ellis, Cecilia Jesi Ferrari, Barbara Franchin
|Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Award||Klavers van Engelen|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Femme||Carice van Houten|
|Dutch Fashion Icon Homme||Ruud van der Peijl|
- 2007-09-01, Reclameweek, ‘Mercedes is haute couture’
- 2007-11-02, NRC Handelsbald, ‘Duo wint Dutch Fashion Award’, Georgette Koning
- 2007-11-02, Het Parool, ‘Prijs Mercedes voor mode’
- 2008-09-13, Algemeen Dagblad, ‘Samenwerking ter promotie Nederlands modetalent’, Judith Kloppenburg
- 2008-11-11, Style.com, ‘Multiple Viktors, Rolfs at Dutch Fashion Awards’, Gudrun Wilcocks, http://www.style.com/stylefile/2008/11/multiple-viktors-rolfs-at-dutch-fashion-awards
- 2008-12-01, MOOD magazine, ‘Dutch Fashion Awards help Young designers’
- 2009-11-08, De Telegraaf, ‘Creaties Hullekes vallen in de smaak’, Michou Basu
- 2009-12-01, INDIE magazine, ‘A touch of Dutch’, Claudia Hubmann
- 2010-01-05, Het Parool, ‘Hulp voor starters in de mode’
- 2010-11-09, Vogue.com UK, ‘One to watch’, Lauren Milligan, http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/daily/101109-iris-van-herpen-wins-award.aspx
- 2010-11-16, Milano Finanza, ‘Van Herpen vince l’edizione 2010 del Dutch Fashion Award’, Michela Zio
Further reading/ viewing
- Dutch Fashion Awards website, http://www.dutchfashionawards.com
- YouTube: ‘Dutch Fashion Foundation – Dutch Fashion Awards 2010’, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Pt1YVC2GI
- YouTube: ‘Dutch Fashion Foundation – Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards 2009’, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CND2nCmv1U0
- YouTube: ‘Dutch Fashion Foundation – Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards 2008’, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0mvODvq-QM
- YouTube: ‘Dutch Fashion Foundation – Mercedes-Benz Dutch Fashion Awards 2007’, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rEYC4AoTk4