Duy Tan University
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (April 2009)|
|Duy Tan University|
|Motto||"Vietnamese Spirit, Innovation, Creativity, Rising Up to New Heights"|
|President||Lê Công Cơ|
|Location||Da Nang, Vietnam|
As the first and largest private university in Central Vietnam, DTU was established on November 11th, 1994, under Decision No 666/TTg, signed by the Prime Minister of Vietnam. DTU offers academic programs that include a graduate two-year Master’s Degree, an undergraduate 4 to 5 year Bachelor’s Degree, a Junior Technical College three-year Associate Bachelor’s Degree and Secondary Professional and Vocational Education two-year diplomas.
DTU offers transfer programs, from Secondary Professional to Technical Junior College, from Technical Junior College to Undergraduate, from Secondary Professional to Undergraduate and from Vocational Education to Undergraduate.
DTU has partnerships with 50 universities around the world.
Since 2005, in collaboration with NIIT, DTU has offered advanced programs in training IT specialists in Software Network Technologies. Certificates are granted by the NIIT Institute, which is recognized internationally.
DTU has programs to help students continue their studies abroad, such as the 2+2 program (2 years at DTU and 2 years at Appalachian State University, America), the 1+1+2 program (1 year at DTU and 3 years at Lorain County Community College (LCCC) in Elyria, Ohio) and the 3+1 program (3 years at DTU and the final one either at Auston Institute of Management & Technology in Singapore or at University of Chichester, and at Oxford Brookes University in England).
Mr. Le Cong Co, Mr. Le Phuoc Thuy and Ms. Nguyen Thi Loc met on August 15, 1992 to form a committee to campaign for the establishment of the “Private University of Central Vietnam.” Mr. Le Cong Co was elected to head the committee.
Their mission included :
- Initiating administrative procedures and preparing legal documents, including the University Development Plan, University Operation Regulations and University Personnel Plan, for the establishment of the Council of University Founders.
- Implementing tasks, such as setting up the University Representative Office and preparing academic facilities for operation, once the University Establishment License was officially granted.
- Searching for candidates to join the Council of University Founders.
The most difficult issue at that point was to acquire funding to implement their mission. Mr. Le Cong Co had mortgaged his home to the Commercial Joint-Stock Bank of Danang to finance the campaign and, two years later, would remortgage to acquire enough capital for the construction of school facilities.
|Information Technology||The faculty was founded at the foundation of Duy Tan University in 1994. The job placement ratio of graduates is almost 100% within 6 months of leaving DTU.|
|Hospitality & Tourism||Situated in the tourist city of Danang, the faculty had 1,500 students in 2011.|
|Electrical Engineering||The faculty has an entollment of around 400. The department has received investment and support in the development of its robotics and FPGA laboratories from the Board of Provosts and the DTU Center of Electrical Engineering.|
|Accountancy||Starting with 200 students in 1995, the faculty has grown to become the biggest faculty at Duy Tan University, with 3,500 students enrolled in 2012.|
|Natural Sciences||The faculty is one of the few departments at DTU which does not offer a degree program. The faculty manages general education courses in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology for the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Pharmacy.|
|Political Science||The faculty does not offer a degree program. It focuses on the education of political theory and doctrine as well as the history of political science.|
|Environmental Engineering||The faculty has been involved in local and international environmental projects with local authorities and international NGOs from the United States, Holland and Singapore.|
|Foreign Languages||Founded at the same time as Duy Tan University.|
|Business Administration||The faculty was established in 1995, and is the second largest department at Duy Tan University, with over 2,500 students. The faculty uses teaching and training methodologies, such as Project-Based Learning, case studies, digital simulations, and ERP-based training.|
|Humanities and Social Sciences||The faculty was established in 2007 to provide “the foundations of humanities” for DTU, as signified in the original academic doctrine of DTU. As well as its focus on literature, journalism, international relations and tourism, the department also helps teach humanities and social skills through general education courses.|
|Civil Engineering||Founded in 1997, the faculty is a human resource provider for the local construction industry. DTU civil engineering students are known for their numerous second and third place awards at the National Loa Thanh competition in Danang as well as the thousands of hours they spend doing volunteer and charity work in the city.|
|Medicine||The faculty was founded in 2009, offering the first Bachelor degree programs in Nursing in Danang. Together with the Faculty of Pharmacology, these two departments are expected to merge to form the first medical school in Danang.|
|Pharmacology||The faculty is the newest DTU department, established on 15th March, 2012. The Faculty of Pharmacology and the Faculty of Medicine, have formed partnerships with the two of the biggest local hospitals, the Danang General Hospital and the Veterans Hospital No.117 to secure internships and employment opportunities for the Nursing and Pharmacology graduates.|
|The International School||Since its inception on the 19th January, 2009, the DTU International School has signed agreements with Pennsylvania State University (PSU) and California State University (CSU) for the importation of the latest curricula and teaching methodologies in the fields of Business Administration, Finance and Banking, Hospitality and Tourism, Architecture and Civil Engineering. The DTU International School has enrolled almost 2,000 students, becoming the largest international school in Central Vietnam and the most advanced program in Vietnam.|
|The Vocational School||The school offered professional high-school diploma programs in 12 training programs between 2000 and 2011. Over the course of 10 years, the Vocational School graduated 11,000 students to work in industries in the region.|
|The Graduate School||The Graduate School of DTU was established in May 2009, offering a Master’s program in Business Administration and another in Information Technology. Master of Accountancy and Civil Engineering programs were added in 2010 and 2013. DTU expects to receive permission from the Ministry of Education and Training to offer Doctoral programs by mid-2013.|
Duy Tan University has six campuses; four are in the heart of Da Nang city with a total area of 12,000 m² (five campuses of 30 hectares). Situated halfway between the north and the south of Vietnam, DTU is accessible from Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City (Sai Gon), and other regions of Vietnam by road, rail, and air.
- K7/25 Quang Trung, Hai Chau District, Danang city: About 500 meters from the Han River, it was officially opened in March 2009, at a cost of 100 billion VND. This is one of the biggest educational facilities in Danang.
- 21 Nguyen Van Linh, Thanh Khe District, Danang City: This is the first campus of Duy Tan University and was officially used in November 1997. The building has four floors with an area of 1,800 m2. It is in the planning phase of the Management Board to use it as a training center of Danang Technology Institute with the contributions of many leading Vietnamese professors around the world.
- 182 Nguyen Van Linh, Thanh Khe District, Danang: First opened in September 2002, the building has 12 floors with a total of 5,000 m². It has offices of DTU departments, such as Business Administration, Accounting, the DTU International School, the DTU e-Learning Center, the NIIT Center, the Graphics Center, and the Study Abroad Center.
- 209 Phan Thanh, Thanh Khe District, Danang City: With an area of more than 4,500 m², this campus was first put to use in September 2001. The building is mainly used for teaching, laboratory work and as administrative offices for the Informatics Center and the Olympia Foreign Language Center.
- South Hoa Khanh Precinct, Lien Chieu District, Danang City: Officially opened in January 2011, it is the largest Duy Tan University campus, with an area of 35,200 m². The campus is about 1.5 km from the Thanh Binh beach to the east and near the bus station to the south. Together with three lecture halls for 1,000 students, the campus has a series of laboratories for Architecture and Civil Engineering students.
DTU has built up a good relation with over 50 universities worldwide, in countries like USA, Canada, Australia, Singapore, New Zealand, India, Thailand, etc. This helps create an international atmosphere at the university.
Duy Tan University was awarded the Gold Cup of Vietnamese Brand-Names by the Association of Vietnamese Intellectual Property on January 4, 2005 for its high-quality education and reputation.
- Top 10 Ranking (DTU Team won No.7 position out of 102 teams) for the Competition of Introducing & Demonstrating Earthquake Engineering Research in Schools (IDEERS),
- Finalists in annual National ROBOCON Competitions,
- First - Place and Second-Place awards for the National Olympic Competition in Informatics,
- Many Third - Place awards in the National Olympic Competitions of Mathematics, Physics and Mechanical Science,
- Many First - Place, Second-Place, and Third-Place in the annual National Festival of Architecture.
The motto is “Vietnamese Spirit, Innovation, Creativity, Rising up to New Heights”.
182 Nguyen Van Linh, Hai Chau District, Danang.
- "President lauds former student patriots and calls on modern youth to emulate". Government in Brief 10/1. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 23 January 2013. "President Truong Tan Sang yesterday praised the patriotic spirit the 1954-75 youth movement at Duy Tan Private University in central Da Nang City in a meeting here with 195 former members of the movement."
- Philip G. Altbach, Toru Umakoshi Asian Universities: Historical Perspectives and Contemporary ... 2004 Page 331 "Phong trao Duy Tan (The Duy Tan reform movement). Danang, Vietnam: Danang Publishing House. Pham, L. H. (2000, December 28)."
- David P. Chandler, David Joel Steinberg In Search of Southeast Asia: A Modern History 1987 Page 315 "Phan Boi Chau himself, by this time the leader of a political group known as the "Renovation Society" (Duy Tan Hoi) initiated this"
- Van Thao Trinh Les compagnons de route de Hô Chi Minh: Histoire d'un engagement 2004 . Page 18 "Duy Tân (Modernisation)."
- Baomoi ĐH Duy Tân nhận Cờ thi đua của Chính phủ