|Dwarka Sub City
|District||South West Delhi|
|• Body||Delhi Development Authority|
|• Total||56.48 km2 (21.81 sq mi)|
|• Density||19,000/km2 (50,000/sq mi)|
|• Official||Hindi, English|
|Time zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Nearest city||Gurgaon and Najafgarh|
|Lok Sabha constituency||West Delhi|
|Vidhan Sabha constituency||Dwarka|
|Civic agency||Delhi Development Authority|
Dwarka is an up-market and one of the most sought-after residential areas/sub city, located in the South West Delhi district of the National Capital Territory of Delhi, India. It is Asia's largest housing colony.
It is named after the legendary Dwaraka Kingdom. It is a short distance away from Gurgaon which is a major hub for large corporations in the country and about 10 km away from Indira Gandhi International Airport. With the opening up of the Airport Express Line, the travel time from the Dwarka Sector 21 Metro station to Airport is expected to be about 3 minutes.
- The sub-city is located in South-West Delhi in the vicinity of Gurgaon and international airport.
- It is bounded by NH-8, Outer Ring Road, Najafgarh Road, Pankha Road, and the Rewari railway line.
- West End, Uttam Nagar, Vasant Kunj, Vikas Puri, Najafgarh, Bijwasan, Palam vihar, Vasant Vihar, Janakpuri residential areas and Delhi cantonment are the other major surrounding areas in west/south west Delhi.
- It is at a short distance from Gurgaon.
- Dwarka is the largest residential suburb in Asia, with a total of 1718 residential enclaves, and a net population of 1,100,000.
- A Second Diplomatic enclave, to be developed as part of Dwarka Phase 2 in Sector 24 of Dwarka.Presently 39 Foreign Missions/Embassies and are operating from rented accommodations in South/Central Delhi.The DDA has announced that it is ready to allot the lands as the infrastructure is ready.Presently the Ministry Of External Affairs is deciding which Countries should be given a priority and they shall announce soon.This move shall add another dimension to this dynamic Sub-City and making Sector 24 one of the best sectors of dwarka.
Currently Dwarka Sub-City (Sector 1 to 29) is divided into 5 MCD Wards: 135- Kakraula, 136- Matiala, 141- Bijwasan, 145- Palam, and 147- Mahavir Enclave. Dwarka is divided into three Assembly constituencies i.e. AC-34 Matiala, AC-36 Bijwasan, AC-37 Palam. Also, Dwarka is divided into two Parliamentary constituencies i.e. West Delhi and South Delhi. The area of Dwarka Sub-city as per DDA record is 5648 Hectares. The density of population is around 160-200 per H a. Road length in Dwarka is 396 km.
- Dwarka has a robust and well connected road network built to modern specifications to each of its sectors and adjoining areas.
- The sub city is well connected by metro rail with the city center and other major parts of the city by MRTS. There are a total of 8 metro stations in Dwarka.
- Connected to Indira Gandhi International Airport Terminal 3 via Sector 21 Station interchange with the Airport Express Line.
- The sub city is now connected through metro rail to Noida (UP) and Anand Vihar.
- The sub city will be connected to the mother city by 4 major roads from all directions.
- If entering from the north, a 45 metre wide road connecting Pankha Road partly by covering Palam drain. Work was completed and the road opened for the public in 2007.
- If entering from the west, a 60 metre wide road connecting Najafgarh Road is constructed.
- If entering from the east, a 45 metre wide road through Cantonment area with a fly-over near Palam. The fly over and road were opened for the public in 2006.
- If entering from the southeast, a 60 metre wide road from NH-8 (with a rail underpass). The road was already constructed.
- A special metro line known as the Delhi Airport Metro Express connects Dwarka to the Indira Gandhi International Airport.
- Dwarka is expected to be connected to Gurgaon by metro in the near future due to its close proximity to the NCR town.
Rural Villages in Dwarka
Shahbad Mohammadpur, Togan Pur (Bagdola), Bagdola, Palam village, Bindapur, Luharheri, Palam Vihar, Nasirpur, Dabri, Sagar Pur, Dhool Siras, Pochanpur,Bhartal, Amberheri, Nangli Sakrawati and Kakrola.
Population and area
- Population - 1,100,000
- Total area - 8648 ha.
- Area (Phase - I) - 1964 ha.
- Area (Phase - II) - 1996 ha.
- Existing built up - 4688 ha.
- Dwarka project is planned with 29 sectors.
Dwarka sub-city is emerging as a cultural hub of the south-west Delhi. Most notable among the cultural centers in Dwarka is the Rukmini Dwarkadhish Temple, also known as the ISKCON temple. This temple in the Sector 13 is a center of worship, intellectual deliberations and social interactions.
The sub-city provides housing for about 500,000 families. Many of these families have not yet been able to move into their flats because of impending court orders which have so far failed to give relief to the thousands of people who are still stranded as a result of a C.G.H.S scam. The Registrar of Cooperative Societies, Delhi has issued a list of 48 societies(CGHS) cleared for allotment. Recently another list of 57 societies(CGHS) have been cleared by Delhi High Court, however their allotment process may take some time. The affected members of this scam have formulated an association called Association of Cooperative Affected Members (AOCAM) to fight for expediting the flat allotment process for these societies.
During last week of May 2009 RCS/Secretary cooperative department of Delhi Government has asked for advise on allotment process for the 57 societies from Law department of Delhi Government specially with respect of charge sheeted members and those who have contested CBI charge sheet. Law department had provided the response in the month of October'2009. Subsequent to that the allotment of flats to cooperative members is still held up. RCS department has posted a public notice for 57 societies to submit their documents in October'09. Most of the societies from among 57 societies have already submitted their documents but RCS has not scrutinized nor forwarded the same to Chopra committee.
During the first week of 2010 about 11 Cooperative Group Housing Societies (CGHS) in Dwarka conducted self-allotment and began moving into their new flats, the Delhi government has written to the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) asking the agency to evict them and termed the allotment 'illegal'.
Delhi Chief Minister Ms Sheela Dixit intervened on the same and conducted a workshop with Regaisrar Office and CGHS members to expedite the process of allotment in the month of Feb 2010. The Registrar of Cooperative Group Housing Societies (CGHS) has agreed to provide a single window of operation to reduce corruption and to expedite the allotment.
The RCS website has started posting the status of 57 CGHS for document scrutiny and completion. It seems the documents have not been returned by CBI to RCS office in many cases and DDA has created some legal obstructions relating to parking norms that prevents many CGHS getting a Completion Certificate (CC) or Provisional Occupancy certificate (POC).
Allotment process still remains in abeyance with RCS/cooperative department of Delhi Government, till that time about 6000 families which are part of these 57 societies will continue to suffer by living in rented homes and paying EMI for the loan for these apartments.
Consolidated statement status of the 57 societies as on Feb 2010 to facilitate one and all have a quick look. Out of 57 Societies, a majority of 36 societies have not yet received POC/CC. There are seven societies, which have undergone self-draw. Records of 20 societies from the CBI are yet to be received. 46 societies records are still under scrutiny.
No concrete action was taken by Delhi government to resolve the apathy of the suffering members of the 48+57 cooperative societies, the CGHS members for about 6 societies again in the month of June, 2010 conducted self draw. Angered over the self draw of lots, Cooperative Minister Raj Kumar Chouhan said government will also cancel water and power connection to the flats and ask police to take strict action against the societies involved in the self draw.
- Co-operative Group housing forms a major component of housing type in Dwarka.
- DDA Expendable Independent Houses are also in PKT-III Bindapur Dwarka.
Mixed land use concept
DDA has implemented the unique concept of Mixed Land Use (MLU) in Dwarka. Most of the DDA housing clusters in Dwarka have commercial buildings in close proximity. In many sectors, approximately 80% of a plot is used for residential flats and the rest 20% for commercial purpose. This unique MLU concept provides lots of convenience to the occupants of Dwarka DDA flats, as they get the facility of shopping, dining and purchasing grocery in close proximity.
- Each of the residential sectors has been envisaged to be self-contained communities and has been designed for a population of about 30,000 each.
- Area of each sector is about 81 ha. (900 m x 900 m)
- Each sector is bounded on all sides by arterial roads of 45 m and 60 m.wide
- From arterial roads only 4 entries have been taken into the sector at a minimum distance of 450 m.
- A network of cycle tracks and pedestrian pathways has been proposed within each sector which link the housing clusters and their facilities within each sector.
- Sector 16b and 17a are the new booming areas within the sub city as the areas has seen various universities being established in recent times.
- Dwarka Forum (Regd) a forum which connects a large number of residents, RWA representatives and CGHS Representatives play very crucial roles. Issues are discussed threadbare and find solution through representation and RTI.
- Dwarka Subcity has Expendable DDA Independent Houses in PKT-III Bindapur Dwarka.
The sub-city has been planned for an environment of convenience which contains essential facilities and services at different levels namely health, education, hotel, safety and security, cultural, and communication etc.
Dwarka is home to top primary and secondary schools along with engineering and law schools like Netaji Subhas Institute of Technology, Times Institute of Management & Engineering Studies, Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University and National Law University, Delhi.
Sports and recreation
- DDA Sports Complex, Sector 11
- Bal Bhavan Cricket Academy, Sector-12,
- AIFF (All India Football Federation) Headquarter, Sector-19
- Dwarka is home to Dwarka FC, a football club at Sector-25.
- Planned Eco-friendly amusement park
- Shastri FC Football Academy @BGS International Public School.
- The Dwarka Metro Airport Express line which has been built at a cost of 4,000 crore cuts travel time between Dwarka and the Airport to about 3 minutes traveling at a speed of 135 km/hr.
- Metro based system is the major mover of the people within core area.
- 10 Metro stations in the Dwarka sub-city namely Dwarka Mor, Dwarka, Dwarka Sector 14, Dwarka Sector 13, Dwarka Sector 12, Dwarka Sector 11, Dwarka Sector 10, Dwarka Sector 9, Dwarka Sector 8 and Dwarka Sector 21 .
- Inter-state-bus terminal(I.S.B.T) is operating near Sector 23.
- The basic road network has been planned both to supplement and compliment the metro based system.
- Cycle tracks and pedestrian pathways passing through green areas have been proposed to add to the already existing infrastructure.
- Major DTC Bus Routes operating in and out of Dwarka are 578, 764, 718, 721, 724E, 727, 737, 752, 761, 778, 801, 887, RL-75, RL-77A,RL-77E, RL-79,etc. In addition to this there are other DTC Buses operating with lower frequencies.
- Two new DTC Bus Depot in Sector 2 and Sector 8 are now open and fully operational.
- Delhi Metro Train will pass from Dabri and Palam in Dwarka to reach Noida as per plan by 2016.
- Dwarka Hospital, Dwarka More
- Rockland Hospital, Sector 12 - First Tertiary Care Hospital in Dwarka. Inaugurated by Chief Minister, Smt. Sheila Dixitji on 30 June 2012 http://www.rocklandhospital.net/rockland-dwarka/
- Bensups Hospital, Sector 12
- Aarogya Medical Center, Sector 12 - Multi Specialty Clinic for Diabetes, Thyroid, Kidney, Heart and Cholesterol problems.
- Ayushman Hospital, Sector 12
- Dada Dev Mother and Child Hospital, Nasirpur on Dabri Palam Road is 64 bedded hospital providing mother and child care.
- Bhagat Hospital
- Artemis Hospital, Sector 20
#Expressdwarka.com provides online shopping / grocery purchase ecommerce facility for purchase of grocery in Dwarka. People of sector 13-14 are recently using this service in beta phase. It will be launched in whole dwarka on 1 March 2015.
- "Sub-cities to act as counter-magnets". The Times Of India.
- "Wheels Of Fortune". Retrieved 21 April 2015.
- "Airport Express line: Another Star in Dwarka's Success". Retrieved 5 June 2011.
- "Urban Extension Projects". Delhi Development Authority.
- "Pin Code of Dwarka Delhi". citypincode.in. Retrieved 2014-03-09.