Dwijendra Narayan Jha
Dwijendra Narayan Jha is an Indian Marxist historian, specializing in Ancient and Medieval India. He was Professor of History at Delhi University, and member of the Indian Council of Historical Research.
Jha has repeatedly taken a position against Hindu nationalist ideology, arguing against what he claims is "communalism" and "saffronisation", specially during the 1998 to 2004 Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government of the Republic of India.
Californian textbook case
He has also spoken out against the changes in the context of the Californian Hindu textbook case.
Works by D N Jha:
- 1980, Studies in early Indian economic history, Anupama Publications, ASIN: B0006E16DA.
- 1993, Economy and Society in Early India: Issues and Paradigms, ISBN 81-215-0552-6.
- Society and Ideology in India: ed. Essays in Honour of Professor R.S. Sharma (Munshiram Manoharlal, Delhi, 1996)
- 1997, Society and Ideology in India, ISBN 81-215-0639-5.
- 1997, Ancient India: In Historical Outline, ISBN 81-7304-285-3.
- 2002, Holy Cow: Beef in Indian Dietary Traditions; paperback (2004) ISBN 1-85984-424-3
- 2004, Early India: A Concise History, ISBN 81-7304-587-9
- 1988, Feudal Social Formation in Early India, ISBN 81-7001-024-1
- "Society and Ideology in India: Essays in Honour of Professor R.S. Sharma" (Munshiram Manoharlal, Delhi, 1996).
- 2000, The Feudal Order: State, Society, and Ideology in Early Medieval India, ISBN 81-7304-473-2; a collection of critical essays by 20 specialists on medieval Indian society, politics, ideology and religion.