August 14, 1991 |
|Bats: Right||Throws: Right|
Dylan Charles Covey (born August 14, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher in minor league baseball. He plays for the Oakland Athletics, who selected him in the fourth round of the 2013 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft.
Covey was selected by the Milwaukee Brewers in the first round of the 2010 MLB Draft. However, a physical examination performed by the Brewers diagnosed Covey with Type I diabetes. He, instead, chose to enroll at the University of San Diego, near his Pasadena, California, home, and played college baseball for the San Diego Toreros prior to being selected by Oakland.
Covey attended Maranatha High School in Pasadena, California, where he played for the school's baseball team. In his Sophomore year, he began to draw attention. Revered by scouts and opponents for his outstanding pitch velocity and movement in only his first years in high school, he went on to boast a 1.30 ERA and a .131 OBA in his four years at Maranatha. As a senior, Covey had a 7–1 win–loss record, a 0.40 earned run average (ERA), and 138 strikeouts in 70 2⁄3 innings pitched. However, he lost 35 pounds (16 kg) that year, and could not regain the weight.
The Milwaukee Brewers selected Covey in the first round, with the fourteenth overall selection, of the 2010 Major League Baseball (MLB) Draft. He indicated to the Brewers that he was likely to sign with them, but that he wanted a $2 million signing bonus. During his post-draft physical, Covey was diagnosed with Type I diabetes. He decided not to sign with the Brewers, as he needed time to adjust to having this condition. Covey's party was quoted as saying, "They [Milwaukee] knew they would have to do some special things for Dylan." He ended up turning down a $1.6 million signing bonus offer from Milwaukee.
Covey enrolled at the University of San Diego (USD), and he played college baseball for the San Diego Toreros baseball team. At USD, Covey was near his parents and doctors who he trusted to help him manage his condition. As Covey regained weight, he struggled as a freshman, pitching to a 1–3 record, a 7.60 ERA, and almost as many walks (28) as strikeouts (29). He improved in his sophomore year, with a 6–3 record and 3.32 ERA, but with 43 walks and 50 strikeouts across 81 innings. As a junior, Covey had a 5–4 record, and a 5.05 ERA.
The Oakland Athletics selected Covey in the fourth round, with the 131st overall selection, of the 2013 MLB Draft. He signed with the Athletics, receiving a $370,000 signing bonus. The Athletics assigned Covey to the Vermont Lake Monsters of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League, before they promoted him to the Beloit Snappers of the Class A Midwest League. In 2014, Covey began the year with Beloit, before he was promoted to the Stockton Ports of the Class A-Advanced California League.
Covey was home schooled until high school. He has two older brothers. Covey's father, Darrell, was selected by the New York Mets in the 29th round of the 1968 MLB Draft out of Pasadena Junior College, but he did not sign or play professional baseball.
- Sondheimer, Eric (May 6, 2010). "Pitcher Dylan Covey is beating odds, not to mention foes". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- McCalvy, Adam (June 14, 2010). "Top pick Covey and crew meet Brewers". Mlb.mlb.com. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- Jenkins, Chris (February 9, 2011). "Freshman turns down pro ball offer to stay at USD Page 1 of 3". UTSanDiego.com. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- Froberg, Tim (August 6, 2013). "A's prospect Dylan Covey has no regrets passing up Brewers' offer". Green Bay Press Gazette. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- Short, D.J. (August 16, 2010). "UPDATE: Dylan Covey opts not to sign with Brewers due to diabetes". HardballTalk. NBC Sports. Retrieved August 14, 2013.
- Glassey, Conor (February 1, 2013). "Unsigned First-Rounders Whitson, Covey Have Lots To Prove". Baseball America. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- Beloit Snappers (July 14, 2013). "Pitcher Dylan Covey Sent to Beloit | Beloit Snappers News" (Press release). Milb.com. Retrieved August 16, 2013.
- "Dylan Covey, Oakland A’s 4th Round Pick Could Wind up Being the Steal of the Draft". Valley Bay News. June 1, 2013. Retrieved August 16, 2013.