Larkin playing for Michigan in 2014
July 30, 1996 |
Waterford, MI, USA
|Height||6 ft 1 in (185 cm)|
|Weight||192 lb (87 kg; 13 st 10 lb)|
|NCAA team||Michigan Wolverines|
|NHL Draft||15th overall, 2014
Detroit Red Wings
Dylan Larkin (born July 30, 1996) is an American ice hockey player, who currently plays college ice hockey for the Michigan Wolverines of the Big Ten Conference. Larkin was drafted 15th overall by the Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
During the 2012–13 season, Larkin skated for USA Hockey's under-17 team in his first season with the USA Hockey National Team Development Program in Ann Arbor. In 55 games he scored 13 goals and 14 assists. Larkin recorded one goal and one assist in four games at the 2012 Four Nations Tournament in Switzerland as the USA finished in first place. Larkin recorded three goals in four games for the third-place USA squad at the 2013 U17 Five Nations Tournament in Finland.
During the 2013–14 season, Larkin returned to skate for the NTDP's under-18 team in his second season in Ann Arbor, where he finished second on the NTDP U18 team with 31 goals and fourth with 56 points in 60 games. Larkin was selected to participate in the 2013 CCM/USA Hockey All-American Prospects Game on September 26, 2013. Larkin finished the AAPG with a goal and an assist.
Larkin was ranked 17th by the NHL Central Scouting Bureau on their final list of the top draft-eligible North American skaters leading into the 2014 NHL Draft. Larkin was drafted 15th overall by Detroit Red Wings in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.
Larkin began his collegiate career for the Michigan Wolverines during the 2014–15 season. Larkin was named the Hockey Commissioners' Association National Rookie of the Month for January. Larkin led all college hockey freshmen with 14 points (seven goals and seven assists) in six games, and was number two overall in the nation, second to teammate Zach Hyman, with an average of 2.33 points per game during the month of January. Larkin recorded a point in every game during the month and had an eight-game point streak (eight goals and 10 assists) overall. Larkin's overall points-per-game average (1.43 points per game) is the second best in the last 60 years among Michigan freshmen, behind only Bruno Baseotto's 2.0 points per game in 1979–80. On January 16, 2015, Larkin recorded a career-best five-point night (two goals and three assists) in a 10–6 win at Ohio State, and became the first Michigan freshman to record five points in a game since October 18, 1997, when Mike Van Ryn had five assists in a 6–4 win against Colgate.
On February 24, 2015, Larkin was named the Big Ten First Star of the Week. On February 20, Larkin recorded a goal and an assist and 12 shots on goal, the most shots in a game by a Michigan player since Jeff Tambellini recorded 13 shots against Quinnipiac on October 18, 2003. On February 22, Larkin recorded a goal and three assists in a 5–2 win against Ohio State. Larkin leads all Big Ten freshmen with 43 points (15 goals and 28 assists), becoming the first Michigan freshman to reach 40 points since Aaron Palushaj during the 2007–08 season. Larkin is number three in the nation in freshman scoring, number five in the nation with an average of 0.91 assists per game, and number six in the nation with a scoring average of 1.34 points per game. Larkin led all freshmen with an average of 4.41 shots a game. Following an outstanding rookie season with the Wolverines, Larkin was selected as the Big Ten's 2014–15 Freshman of the Year. He was also named to both the 2014–15 Big Ten All-Freshman Team and the All-Big Ten First Team and named an AHCA Second Team All-American. 
|Competitor for United States|
|World U-17 Hockey Challenge|
|World U18 Championships|
Larkin represented the United States at the 2013 World U-17 Hockey Challenge, where he won a bronze medal. Larkin was the third-leading scorer for the United States, recording two goals and five assists in six games.
Larkin represented the United States at the 2015 World Junior Ice Hockey Championships, where he was the teams leading scorer, and was tied for tournament lead with five goals in five games. He was named one of Team USA's top three players of the tournament.
Regular season and playoffs
|2012–13||U.S. National Under-17 Team||USHL||37||7||7||14||40||—||—||—||—||—|
|2013–14||U.S. National Under-18 Team||USHL||26||17||9||26||24||—||—||—||—||—|
|2014–15||University of Michigan||B1G||35||15||32||47||42||—||—||—||—||—|
Awards and achievements
|All-Big Ten Freshman Team||2014–15|||
|All-Big Ten First Team||2014–15|
|Big Ten Freshman of the Year||2014–15|
|AHCA West Second-Team All-American||2014–15|||
- Hockey's Future - Dylan Larkin
- Sipple, George (June 27, 2014). "Waterford's Dylan Larkin hopes to land with Red Wings". Detroit Free Press. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- Caples, Michael (September 30, 2013). "Wolverines commit Dylan Larkin impresses at All-American Prospects Game in Pittsburgh". mihockeynow.com. Retrieved September 30, 2013.
- "USHL Players Highlight NHL Central Scouting Final Rankings". USHL. April 8, 2014. Retrieved April 8, 2014.
- Reznik, Shawn (May 29, 2014). "Dylan Larkin – The Next Ones: NHL 2014 Draft Prospect Profile". thehockeywriters.com. Retrieved May 29, 2014.
- "1st Round Draft Pick". Detroit Red Wings. June 27, 2014. Retrieved June 27, 2014.
- "Larkin Named HCA National Rookie of the Month for January". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. February 4, 2015. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Larkin, Hyman Skate to Big Ten First and Second Stars". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. February 24, 2015. Retrieved February 24, 2015.
- "Hyman, Larkin Selected as All-Americans". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. April 10, 2015. Retrieved April 10, 2015.
- "Hyman, Larkin Lead Quintet of U-M All-Big Ten Honorees". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. March 16, 2015. Retrieved March 16, 2015.
- Peterson, Craig (March 19, 2015). "Larkin has four-point night in UM win". Detroit Red Wings. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "2015 Big Ten Men's Ice Hockey Tournament Game Notes" (PDF). MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. March 19, 2015. Retrieved March 19, 2015.
- "2013 World Under-17 Challenge Roster Announced". USA Hockey. December 20, 2012. Retrieved December 20, 2012.
- "USA Golden at U18 World Championship". thepinkpuck.com. April 29, 2014. Retrieved April 29, 2014.
- "Four Wolverines Named to Final Roster for U.S. World Junior Team". MGoBlue.com. CBS Interactive. December 26, 2014. Retrieved December 26, 2014.
- "U.S. National Junior Team Falls to Russia, 3-2, in Quarterfinals". USA Hockey. January 2, 2015. Retrieved January 2, 2015.
- Khan, Ansar (January 6, 2015). "Red Wings prospects Dylan Larkin, Joe Hicketts impressed during World Junior Championship". MLive.com. Retrieved January 6, 2015.
- Dylan Larkin's career statistics at EliteProspects.com
- Dylan Larkin's career statistics at The Internet Hockey Database
|Awards and achievements|
|Detroit Red Wings first round draft pick
J. T. Compher
|Big Ten Freshman of the Year