|Headquarters||Manchester, New Hampshire|
Dyn (pronounced “dine”) is an Internet performance solutions company that provides traffic management, email management and performance assurance to over 4 million commercial and private users worldwide with major customers including Twitter, Netflix, Pandora, Zappos, CNBC, Etsy, Box and StumbleUpon. These solutions are supported by services including paid domain registrations, recursive DNS, email forwarding and redirection, network monitoring and URL redirection. Dyn’s corporate headquarters are located in Manchester, NH, USA, with locations in Brighton, UK, and San Francisco, CA, USA.
Originally providing a free dynamic DNS service known as DynDNS, Dyn allowed users to register a subdomain that points to a computer with regularly changing IP addresses, such as those served by many consumer-level Internet service providers. An update client installed on the user's computer, or built into a networked device such as a router or webcam, keeps the hostname up to date with its current IP address.
- Dyn was started in 1998 as a free service.
- It became a Massachusetts limited liability company on October 24, 2001.
- In July, 2003, the company reorganized into a Delaware corporation.
- As of 2013[update], it had over 2000 enterprise customers using the globally dispersed IP Anycast DNS network and SaaS-based failover, load balancing, geo traffic management and CDN Management services.
- In November 2011, Dyn reduced the number of free hostnames provided from five to one (but only after signing up for a free trial), except for existing users with active hostnames.
- In May 2013, Dyn discontinued the creation of free accounts.
- In July 2013, Dyn discontinued the free use of update clients to meet the 30 day login requirement (which keeps the account active). Users must now login to their account via a web browser at least once every 30 days or the account is terminated. Or, they can upgrade to Dyn Pro for $25 for the first year.
- In October 2012, Dyn completed a Series A round of venture capital funding totaling US$ 38 million from North Bridge Venture Partners. Prior to the investment from North Bridge, the company had been self funded.
- In September 2012, Dyn acquired the SEO/SEM & Ecommerce Development parts of Incutio LTD. They also acquired long time DNS provider TZO.
- On January 2, 2013, Dyn acquired Web performance monitoring company Verelo.
- On May 13, 2013, Dyn acquired mobile dashboard app startup Trendslide.
Dyn's partner program consists of over 200 partners, from integration partners to managed services to channel resellers. Major partners include Firehost, AT&T, Global Dots, Fastly, Sitecore, Redapt, and Synnex.
The DynDNS update API was released in 1998 as an open system, to allow control by third-party developers. It has been used by Netgear, OpenDNS, Norton DNS, and No-IP. Additionally a number of router manufacturers have adopted the API to include update capabilities in their devices, including Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, Cisco, Draytek, Sonicwall, Belkin, TP-Link, and Acorp.
The latest API Dyn has made available is the Dyn Email Delivery REST API, which has been made available in JSON, HTML, and XML formats since January, 2011. Current third-party users include Ongage, Seeking Alpha, Mill33, and Daily Secret.
In May 2004 the company started providing DNS services for top-level domains, starting with the .cx TLD. The company also provides DNS for several other TLDs: Christmas Islands (.cx), Mauritius (.mu), Solomon Islands (.sb), as well as of the Democratic Republic of Timor-Leste (.tl).
- In April 2006, Dyn received a "Best Buy" rating and a perfect 10 out of 10 rating on Overall Value, Performance, and Ease of Use from the Consumer Guide.
- In September 2007, Dyn was ranked 73rd in the US among the "Top Companies in Telecommunications" and 11th overall in New Hampshire by trade publication Inc., thanks to a 208.7% growth rate since 2003.
- In December 2007, Dyn was rated the number one small business to work for in NH by Business New Hampshire magazine.
- In May 2011, Dyn was selected as one of 50 Winning Workplaces by Inc. (magazine) and Winning Workplaces, an award for the top small businesses in the U.S.
- In August 2011, Inc. announced that Dyn made its Inc. 5000 list in the 1538th slot, a yearly ranking of the top U.S. based private companies. It was Dyn's second time on the list.
- In December 2011, Dyn was elected to the Best Companies to Work in NH Hall of Fame by Business New Hampshire Magazine.
- In April 2012, Dyn was named to WorldBlu List of Most Democratic Workplaces 2012.
- In August 2012, Dyn made the Inc. 5000 list for the third time, jumping 378 spots to #1160.
- In April 2013, Dyn was named to WorldBlu List of Most Democratic Workplaces 2013, for a second consecutive year.
- In August 2013, Dyn was recognized by the Inc. 5000 list, continuing to climb the list year after year, this time as #1135.
- In September 2013, Business New Hampshire Magazine named Dyn as the fastest growing private company in New Hampshire.
- In November 2013, Dyn was listed as #210 on Deloitte's Technology Fast 500 List.
- In December 2013, The New Hampshire College & University Council recognized Dyn's volunteer efforts towards education with a Champion Award.
Dyn only offers email notifications for keeping hostnames formerly hosted at no charge at this status. Moreover, when discontinuing the service of these free hostnames, particularly those not containing the word “dyn”, Dyn also only sent emails to the account owners. Dyn conceded that their email notification service is unreliable. However, instead of using a secondary means of notification like temporary hostname suspension, they offered switching to a paid business plan.
- . Dyn http://dyn.com/about/clients/. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- "Dynamic Network Services, LLC Summary Screen". Retrieved 2006-11-30.
- "Delaware Division of Corporations Entity Search". Retrieved 2006-11-30. "File Number 3685450"
- Alspach, Kyle (Oct 2, 2012). "Dyn raises $38M in VC, gets Jason Calacanis on its board". Boston Business Journal. Retrieved October 2, 2012.
- Dyn Inc. Buys EveryDNS Xconomy, January 7, 2010
- Dyn Inc. Acquires EditDNS and Launches DynECT Dyn Inc Press Release, August 31, 2010
- Dyn Inc. acquires SendLabs New Hampshire Business Review. January 13, 2011
- Dyn Acquires SEO/SEM & Ecommerce Development arm of Incutio LTD
- Dyn Acquires Long Time DNS Provider TZO
- Dyn Acquires Website Monitoring Startup Verelo
- Dyn Acquires Mobile Dashboard App Trendslide
- http://dyn.com/about/partners/#reseller. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- "DNS Update API". Dyn. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- What is dynamic DNS (DDNS)? Netgear
- "Norton DNS Public Beta FAQ". Symantec. Retrieved 2010-06-07.
- "No-IP". No-IP.org. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "DynDNS Receives "Best Buy" Ranking From Consumer Guide" (Press release). Dynamic Network Services, Inc. 2006-04-13. Retrieved 2006-11-30.
- "Dynamic Network Services Incorporated Reports 208.7% Growth" (Press release). Dynamic Network Services, Inc. 2007-09-07. Retrieved 2007-09-07.
- "businessnhmagazine.com". businessnhmagazine.com. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Dynamic Network Services selected as Best Small Company to Work for in New Hampshire" (Press release). Dynamic Network Services, Inc. 2007-12-05. Retrieved 2007-12-05.
- "Inc. Magazine Recognizes Dyn As 2011 Top Small Company Award Winner | Dyn Blog". Dyn.com. 2011-05-23. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "Dyn Earns Spot on Inc. 5000 List | Dyn Blog". Dyn.com. 2011-08-23. Retrieved 2012-01-14.
- "WorldBlu Names Dyn A Top Democratic Workplace". Dyn.com. 2012-04-10. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- "Dyn Makes Inc. 5000 List For Third Time, Jumps 400+ Spots; Dyn Blog". Dyn.com. 2012-08-22. Retrieved 2012-11-04.
- http://dyn.com/blog/worldblu-most-democratic-workplace-2013-nh-culture/. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://www.inc.com/profile/dyn. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://dyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Biz-NH-Mag-Dyn-Fastest-Growing-on-Private-100.pdf. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://www.deloitte.com/assets/Dcom-UnitedStates/Local%20Assets/Documents/TMT_us_tmt/us_tmt_fast500_rankings_110713.pdf. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://dyn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/NHCUC-2013-Media-Advisory-Breakfast-of-Champions.pdf. Retrieved 3 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/34037/my-hostname-suddenly-disappeared-nothing-works-any.html. Retrieved 10 December 2013. Missing or empty
- http://www.dyncommunity.com/questions/32181/from-dyn-free-hostnames-are-no-longer-offered.html. Retrieved 10 December 2013. Missing or empty