E. Millicent Sowerby
|E. Millicent Sowerby|
September 7, 1883|
Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, England
|Died||October 23, 1977
|Known for||Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson (1952–1959)|
Sowerby was born in Beverley, East Riding of Yorkshire, England. After graduating from Girton College, Cambridge, she worked in London as a cataloger for book dealer Wilfrid Michael Voynich and briefly as a librarian at Birkbeck College before serving as a counterintelligence agent in Paris during World War I. Upon her return to England in 1916, Sowerby worked as a cataloger at Sotheby's. She moved to the United States in 1923, finding employment as a cataloger with the American Art Association and then at the New York Public Library (until January 1925). In March 1925, she became a bibliographer for A. S. W. Rosenbach's Rosenbach Company in Philadelphia and New York City where she was employed until February 1942. Sowerby was appointed Bibliographer of the Jefferson Collection at the Library of Congress in July 1942. She retired to Muncie, Indiana, where she died on October 23, 1977.
Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson
In 1942, the Library of Congress appointed Sowerby to prepare a catalog of books that Thomas Jefferson had sold to the U.S. government in 1815. The catalog was intended to commemorate the bicentennial of Jefferson's birth in 1943, however, owing to the complexity of the project, the first volume did not appear until 1952. The final volume was published in 1959.
Rare People and Rare Books
- "Emily Sowerby: Social Security Death Index (SSDI) Death Record". GenealogyBank.com. Retrieved December 10, 2013. – via GenealogyBank.com (subscription required)
- "E. Millicent Sowerby, 94; an expert on rare books". New York Times. October 24, 1977.
- Sowerby, E. Millicent (1967). Rare People and Rare Books. London: Constable. pp. 34–39.
- Sowerby, E. Millicent (1967). Rare People and Rare Books. London: Constable. pp. 104, 114, 116.
- Sowerby, E. Millicent (1967). Rare People and Rare Books. London: Constable. p. 117.
- Sowerby, E. Millicent (1967). Rare People and Rare Books. London: Constable. p. 237.
- Wilson, Douglas (October 1984). "Sowerby Revisited: The Unfinished Catalogue of Thomas Jefferson's Library". The William and Mary Quarterly. Third Series 41 (4): 615–628. JSTOR 1919156.
- Sowerby, E. Millicent (1967). Rare People and Rare Books. London: Constable.
- Library of Congress – Digitized Items from the Thomas Jefferson Library Collection including Catalogue of the Library of Thomas Jefferson
- Sowerby Catalogue Transcript