An artist's impression published February 2014
|In service||Spring 2016 (scheduled)|
|Number under construction||12 vehicles|
|Formation||9+3 cars per trainset|
|Capacity||686 (656 standard + 30 Green)|
|Car body construction||Aluminium alloy|
|Maximum speed||130 km/h (80 mph)|
|Electric system(s)||1,500 V DC|
|Track gauge||1,067 mm (3 ft 6 in)|
The E353 series (E353系?) is a DC tilting electric multiple unit (EMU) train on order by East Japan Railway Company (JR East) in Japan for use on limited express services on the Chuo Main Line from spring 2016.
Initially, one pre-series train, consisting of one 9-car set and one 3-car set, is scheduled to be delivered in summer 2015 for performance testing. The trains will ultimately replace the E351 series EMUs currently used on Super Azusa limited express services on the Chuo Main Line between Shinjuku in Tokyo and Matsumoto in Nagano Prefecture.
The exterior styling will be overseen by industrial designer Ken Okuyama. Like the E351 series trains they are scheduled to replace, the new E353 series trains will incorporate tilting technology to allow faster speeds around curves. Maximum operating speed will be 130 km/h (80 mph).
Trains will consist of a nine-car main set (with five cars motored) and a three-car add-on set (with two cars motored).
Green car (first class) accommodation will be in 2+2 abreast configuration with a seat pitch of 1,160 mm (46 in). Standard class will be arranged 2+2 with a seat pitch of 960 mm (38 in), compared to 970 mm (38 in) for Super Azusa E351 series trains.
- Saito, Masatoshi (4 February 2014). 中央線特急:「スーパーあずさ」後継に「Ｅ３５３系」 [E353 series - the successor for Chuo Line "Super Azusa" limited express services]. Mainichi Shimbun (in Japanese). Japan: The Mainichi Newspapers. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "中央線新型特急電車（E353系）量産先行車新造について" [Details of new pre-series E353 series limited express trains for Chuo Line]. Tetsudo Hobidas (in Japanese). Japan: Neko Publishing. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- "中央線新型特急「E353系」量産先行車新造へ－2015年夏以降に完成" [Pre-series E353 series limited express to be built for Chuo Line]. Hachioji Keizai Shimbun (in Japanese). Japan: Factory ZIAS G.K. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- 中央線新型特急電車（Ｅ３５３系）量産先行車新造について [Details of new pre-series E353 series limited express trains for Chuo Line] (PDF). News release (in Japanese). Japan: East Japan Railway Company. 4 February 2014. Retrieved 4 February 2014.
- JR East press release announcing new trains (Japanese)
- E353 series design details on Ken Okuyama Design website (Japanese)