Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009
|Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009|
Official Logo of the E3 Expo
|Venue||Los Angeles Convention Center|
|Organized by||Entertainment Software Association|
The Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009, commonly known as the E3 2009, was the 15th Electronic Entertainment Expo held. The event took place on June 2, 3, and 4 at the Los Angeles Convention Center. E3 is an annual trade show for the computer and video games industry presented by the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). It is used by many video game developers to present their upcoming games and game-related hardware.
Major hardware announcements during the show included Microsoft's Project Natal and both Sony's PSP Go and PlayStation Move, while major software announcements included Metal Gear Solid: Rising, Halo: Reach, Final Fantasy XIV, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Super Mario Galaxy 2,
- 1 History
- 2 Floor Layout
- 3 Notable games displayed at E3 2009
- 4 Notable exhibitors list
- 5 Notable press conferences
- 6 Media coverage
- 7 Pre-E3 2009 hype
- 8 Attendance
- 9 Awards
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
The E3 2009 was greatly expanded in terms of size from the previous two years as it was reopened to all qualified computer and gaming audiences. In 2007, the E3 was restructured, downsized and renamed to the E3 Media and Business Summit. The move was widely criticized by those both within and outside the gaming industry. The following 2007 and 2008 E3 summits attracted very few attendees in contrast to previous years; E3 2007 attracted only 10,000 attendees and E3 2008 attracted 50% less, 5,000 attendees.
The E3 2009 aimed to return E3 to its 'pre-E3 2007' state, by reopening it to a larger audience allowing more attendees. As well as having a larger venue and allowing more exhibitors, E3 2009 also reverted its name to Electronic Entertainment Expo. However, like pre-2007, the event was still not open to the general public.
E3 2009 was held at the Los Angeles Convention Center with the show occupying the South and West Halls as well as the first floor.
The south hall housed a larger number of publisher booths, including Microsoft, Square Enix, Koei, Ubisoft, Namco Bandai, Warner Bros., Disney, Eidos, MTV Games, EA, Sega and Konami. This was also where the majority of G4's media coverage took place, and in the media and bloggers lounge.
The first floor housed sub booths of publishers on the ground floor, such as Square Enix, Sega, Capcom and Activision. It also housed the main booths of other publishers, such as LucasArts and Majesco.
Notable games displayed at E3 2009
Notable exhibitors list
Notable press conferences
- Date: June 1, 2009
- Host(s): John Schappert
- Notable Speakers: Hideo Kojima, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Tony Hawk, Yoshinori Kitase, Cliff Bleszinski, Steven Spielberg
- Hardware Announcements: Project Natal
- Microsoft reveals Project Natal, a detection, recognition and motion sensing device for the Xbox 360. Kojima revealed Metal Gear Solid: Rising as the first Metal Gear Solid game on Xbox 360, although the game will also be available for PlayStation 3 and PC. The Beatles: Rock Band was featured. Crysis 2 was announced. Trailers for Crackdown 2, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, Dante's Inferno, Mass Effect 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and The Saboteur were shown. Halo: Reach was announced by Bungie. Turn 10 Studios announced Forza Motorsport 3, to be released October 2009. Facebook and Twitter revealed to get their own programs on the 360. Gameplay for Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed II, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction, Alan Wake, Halo 3: ODST, Forza Motorsport 3, and Final Fantasy XIII was shown. Also, a new upcoming game for Xbox Live Arcade is Shadow Complex, showed by Epic Games and Chair Entertainment.
- Date: June 2, 2009
- Host(s): Reggie Fils-Aime, Cammie Dunaway
- Notable Speakers: Satoru Iwata
- Hardware Announcements: Wii Vitality Sensor
- Nintendo unveiled New Super Mario Bros. Wii which supports up to 4 player co-op. Golden Sun DS was announced. WarioWare D.I.Y. was announced for DS. Super Mario Galaxy 2 was announced for Wii, making the Wii the first console since the Super Nintendo Entertainment System to have two core Mario platformers. Wii Fit Plus was announced. More gameplay for Wii Sports Resort was shown. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story was also announced for Fall 2009 . Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days were featured. Third party games Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles, Dead Space: Extraction, and The Conduit were highlighted. In a private roundtable meeting, Miyamoto showed concept art for The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword and hopes to release it by 2010.
- Date: June 2, 2009
- Host(s): Jack Tretton
- Notable Speakers: Hideo Kojima, Kazuo Hirai
- Hardware Announcements: PlayStation Move, PSP Go
- Sony revealed the PlayStation Move prototype which uses the PlayStation Eye for 1:1 tracking. A new trailer for Final Fantasy XIII was shown. Square Enix announced Final Fantasy XIV, due to be released in 2010. Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker was announced. The PSP Go was featured. New gameplay demos of Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and God of War III were debuted. Other games shown were Assassin's Creed II, ModNation Racers, Team Ico's The Last Guardian and Gran Turismo 5.
G4 was the official broadcaster of E3 2009. G4 offered 22 hours of live event coverage, coverage of all 5 major press conferences and exclusive interviews with gaming executives. G4’s coverage began on-air and online (at G4TV.com) on Monday, June 1 and continued through Thursday, June 4. G4 also covered many exclusive game demos at E3 2009 as well as Steve Wiebe's unsuccessful world record Donkey Kong high score attempt.
Pre-E3 2009 hype
All 3 major game companies promised major exhibitions at E3 2009.
- Nintendo of America
- Nintendo promised that it would bring a much bigger E3 showcase in E3 2009 in comparison to E3 2008.
- A quote from Reggie Fils-Aime: "Nintendo has been a long time attendee of E3 and it has our full support. E3 brings a wide variety of key audiences into contact with products from many companies, including Nintendo. It's the place where creativity is on display, and as a 'sneak peak' for our entire industry it helps generate excitement for gamers around the world."
- Microsoft Corporation
- A quote from Don Mattrick: "Microsoft is gearing up for a big presence at E3 which will provide people with a different view toward the aspects home entertainment. We're excited about the momentum that is building in anticipation of our June 1st media briefing, which should help kick off E3."
- Sony Computer Entertainment America
- SCEA marketing director John Koller stated that in terms of software and the direction of the PlayStation platforms and brand, E3 2009 would be one of Sony's larger E3s in his 11 years with the company.
- A quote from Jack Tretton: "Sony Computer Entertainment America is looking forward to another great showing at this year's E3 Expo. The audience of North American-based and foreign media and key industry partners makes E3 Expo an ideal place for us to unveil the latest PlayStation news and products at our press event on June 2nd."
At E3 2009 there was a total 41,000 attendees, which is only a 41% reduction of the 70,000 attendee high from 2005 and an 820% increase on the previous year's (2008's) E3. These attendees came from 78 countries and viewed products from 216 different exhibitors.
|This section requires expansion with: examples and additional citations. (December 2009)|
A majority of the industry leading media outlets award Game of the Show. Additional awards pertaining to more specific categories based on platform and genre are also given.
E3 2009 Best of Show Winners
- 1UP.com - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- Game Critics Awards - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- GameSpot - Scribblenauts
- GameSpy - Scribblenauts
- GameTrailers - God of War III
- X-Play - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
|Best Action Game||Best Fighting Game|
|Best Music/Rhythm Game||Best Platforming Game|
|Best Racing Game||Best Role Playing Game|
|Best Shooting Game||Best Sports Game|
|Best Strategy Game||Best Graphics Technology|
|Best Artistic Design||Best Non-playable Presentation|
|Best PC Game||Overall Game of Show|
- "Atari Nixes Official E3 Presence". Kotaku. May 12, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "E3 Exhibitor List". E3Expo. June 2–4, 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-09-17. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "E3 2009: Microsoft Press Conference Part 1". IGN. June 4, 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-06-14. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "E3 2009: Nintendo Press Conference Part 1". IGN. June 5, 2009. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "E3 2009: Sony Press Conference Part 1". IGN. June 5, 2009. Retrieved January 25, 2010.
- "G4 Named Official Broadcaster of 2009 Electronic Entertainment Expo, Securing Unprecedented Television Rights to Gaming Industry's Biggest Event". E3. April 21, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2009.[dead link]
- "Gametrailers TV with Geoff Keighley". GameTrailers. 2009. Archived from the original on 2009-06-18. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "Capcom unveiling two new games at E3". GameSpot. April 29, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "High Voltage Software to announce 2 Games at E3". Joystiq. April 30, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- "SCEA: E3 2009 to be one of the biggest in the past 11 years". VG247. April 17, 2009. Retrieved June 1, 2009.
- Gamasutra - 2009 E3 Confirms 41,000 Attendees, June 2010 Return
- "1Up’s Best Games of E3 2009". 1UP.com. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- "2009 Game Critics Awards Winners". Game Critics Awards. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- "Editor's Choice Awards 2009". GameSpot. Archived from the original on 2012-11-06. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- "GameSpy’s Best of E3 2009 Awards". GameSpy. June 10, 2009. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- "GameTrailers Best of Show 2009". GameTrailers. June 18, 2009. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- Andrew Pfilster (June 8, 2009). "X-Play’s Best of E3 2009". X-Play. Retrieved June 2, 2010.
- IGN Editorial Staff (June 12, 2009). "IGN's Overall Best of E3 2009 Awards". IGN. Retrieved November 16, 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Electronic Entertainment Expo 2009.|