EA Sports UFC
|EA Sports UFC|
EA Sports UFC PlayStation 4 Cover
|Release date(s)||June 17, 2014|
EA Sports UFC is a mixed martial arts fighting video game developed by Electronic Arts and SkyBox Labs for the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. It is based on the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) brand and was released on June 17, 2014. A playable demo was released on the PlayStation Network and Xbox Marketplace on June 3, 2014, with Jon Jones and Alexander Gustafsson as playable fighters. It is the first UFC game since THQ sold the license to Electronic Arts.
The game's artificial intelligence accommodates for changes in player strategies mid-game to make the gaming experience more realistic than in previous UFC games. The game also simulates "full body deformation" to connect players with their player-character. The Ultimate Fighter is featured at the start of Career Mode. Also included are perks unlocked throughout career to boost gameplans.
Conflict originally arose between UFC president Dana White and Electronic Arts, when the UFC approached EA Sports to develop a UFC video game and EA refused. The UFC then turned to developer THQ to develop UFC titles. THQ's UFC 2009 Undisputed shipped approximately 2 million copies. With the success of the series, THQ quickly began working on a sequel, UFC Undisputed 2010, and followed this release with UFC Undisputed 3 in 2012.
With the growing popularity of MMA (the UFC banner particularly) and THQ's success, Electronic Arts began working on EA Sports MMA, featuring UFC's then promotional rival, Strikeforce. It was at this time that Dana White declared himself "at war" with Electronic Arts. According to White, "EA Sports told us, 'You're not a real sport. We wouldn't touch this thing. We want nothing to do with this.'. We put our asses on the line, THQ and the UFC, to make a video-game deal in the worst economy in the world. We go out there and do this thing, and it's successful, and now God-damn EA Sports wants to do a video game. You told us you’d never be in business with us. They wouldn't even take a meeting because mixed martial arts disgusted them. This wasn't a "real" sport. Boy, they got over that real quick, didn't they?". White even went as far to warn fighters who intended to be included in EA Sports MMA, "If you do business with EA, you won't be in the UFC".
After the closing of THQ, Electronic Arts announced a "multi-year, multi-product" partnership with the Ultimate Fighting Championship at the Electronic Entertainment Expo 2012. THQ reported that the publishing rights were purchased by EA Sports for an "undisclosed cash payment". The first gameplay for the game was shown at the Xbox One reveal event in a trailer by EA Sports. The game is one of the first to run Electronic Arts's Ignite engine. Electronic Arts put its Fight Night boxing franchise on hold while developing EA Sports UFC. The company said that the decision was based primarily on the UFC's greater international prominence, although the boxing series could potentially return. The Fight Night team (EA Canada) became the UFC team.
The roster was gradually revealed by EA Sports in batches. The final roster consists of 97 UFC fighters (not including DLC additions). UFC legend Royce Gracie and late martial arts icon Bruce Lee are both featured in the game as bonus unlockable fighters. Gracie is playable in the Middleweight division, and Lee is playable in the Bantamweight, Featherweight, Lightweight and Welterweight divisions. A free content update was released for download on July 22nd, 2014, adding T.J. Dillashaw, Tyron Woodley and Takeya Mizugaki to the roster. On August 26th, 2014, EA released another patch that included heavyweight Stipe Miocic as well as welterweights Matt Brown and Mike Pyle.
|Akrobatik||"Built To Last"|
|Avenged Sevenfold||"Shepherd of Fire"|
|AWOLNATION||"Sail (LED Remix)"|
|Band of Skulls||"Asleep At The Wheel"|
|Beware of Darkness||"Be My Exorcist"|
|Bring Me the Horizon||"Can You Feel My Heart"|
|Diddy - Dirty Money ft. Skylar Grey||"Coming Home"|
|DMX||"Ain’t No Sunshine"|
|Dog Blood||"Shred or Die"|
|Flosstradamus ft. Travis Porter||"Drop Top"|
|Imagine Dragons ft. Kendrick Lamar||"Radioactive"|
|J. Roddy Walston & The Business||"Sweat Shock"|
|Kid Ink||"The Movement"|
|Linkin Park ft. Rakim||"Guilty All the Same"|
|Miles Kane||“Give Up”|
|Rick Ross ft. Future||"No Games"|
|Royal Blood||“Out of the Black”|
|Run the Jewels||“No Come Down”|
|ScHoolboy Q||"Break the Bank"|
|Smoke Serpent||“Jiu Jitsu”|
|Spiderbait||“Reach For the Sky”|
|Tinie Tempah||"5 Minutes"|
|Yo Gotti ft. T.I.||“King Sh*t”|
- "EA Sports Co-developer: SkyBox Labs". Retrieved July 22, 2014.
- "EA Sports announces Madden, FIFA, UFC, and NBA games for Xbox One". GamesBeat.
- "First wave of Xbox One games includes 'FIFA 14,' 'Forza 5,' 'Call of Duty: Ghosts,' and 'Madden NFL 25'". The Verge.
- "EA Sports at Xbox One Reveal: UFC Video Game Will Be Available in "Next 12 Months" (video)". Yahoo! Sports.
- Corriea, Alexa Ray (June 10, 2013). "EA Sports UFC launching next spring for PS4 and Xbox One". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- Sarkar, Samit (May 20, 2013). "EA Sports unveiling UFC game May 21, same day of Microsoft's next-gen Xbox reveal". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Pitcher, Jenna (May 8, 2013). "EA will not release Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15, UFC fighting game before April 2014". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- Sarkar, Samit (May 21, 2013). "Next-gen EA Sports titles running on Ignite engine at Xbox One reveal". Polygon. Vox Media. Archived from the original on June 10, 2013. Retrieved June 10, 2013.
- Sarkar, Samit (May 24, 2013). "Fight Night series on hold for EA Sports UFC, says EA Sports boss". Polygon. Vox Media. Retrieved June 15, 2013.
- "'EA Sports UFC Roster Reveal Part 1'". January 10, 2014. Retrieved January 10, 2014.
- "'EA Sports UFC Roster Reveal Part 2'". February 20, 2014. Retrieved February 20, 2014.
- "'EA Sports UFC Roster Reveal Part 3'". April 4, 2014. Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "'EA Sports UFC Roster Reveal Part 4'". June 5, 2014. Retrieved June 5, 2014.
- "'EA Sports UFC Roster Reveal Part 5'". June 16, 2014. Retrieved June 16, 2014.
- "'EA Sports UFC to offer around 100 fighters at launch'".
- "'Roll as Royce Gracie'". April 23, 2014. Retrieved April 23, 2014.
- "'Bruce Lee'". April 7, 2014. Retrieved April 7, 2014.
- "'EA Sports UFC - Free content update 1'". July 31, 2014. Retrieved July 31, 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC for Xbox One". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC for PlayStation 4". GameRankings. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC for Xbox One Reviews". Metacritic. Electronic Arts. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC for PlayStation 4 Reviews". Metacritic. Electronic Arts. Retrieved 3 July 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review". Eurogamer. 17 June 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review". GamesInformer. 17 June 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review". Gamesrader. 17 June 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review". Gamespot. 17 June 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review: Toothless Aggression". IGN. 17 June 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review: Jon 'Barebones' Jones". Joystiq. 17 June 2014.
- "EA Sports UFC Review". Official Xbox Magazine. 17 June 2014.