|Founder||Jack David and Robert Lecker|
|Country of origin||Canada|
|Distribution||Independent Publishers Group (North America)
Turnaround Publisher Services (Europe)
ECW Press is a North American small press book publisher located in Toronto, Ontario. It was founded by Jack David and Robert Lecker in 1974 as a Canadian literary magazine named Essays on Canadian Writing. Five years later, ECW published its first books—trade and scholarly titles. It started with two principal series: the Annotated Bibliography of Canada's Major Authors (ABCMA) and Canadian Writers and Their Works (CWTW). Through the 1980s ECW upgraded its typesetting facilities, published reference titles, and began to service third-party clients, creating books for corporations to use for promotional purposes and events such as anniversaries. In the 1990s ECW re-commenced trade publishing, and expanded its scholarly and reference lines for high school and public libraries.
ECW now publishes literary fiction, poetry, and mysteries, as well as non-fiction, professional wrestling, television and film, memoir, business, personal finance, sports, true crime, humour, popular science, and travel. No longer just Essays in Canadian Writing, ECW came to stand for Entertainment. Culture. Writing.
ECW books have won the Governor General's Literary Award, the Arthur Ellis Award, the Archibald Lampman Award for Poetry, the Heritage Toronto Award, and the Independent Publisher Book Award. They have also been nominated for Canada Reads and the Trillium Book Award.
ECW continues to publish around 50 new titles a year, and has published thousands of books distributed throughout the English-speaking world and translated into dozens of languages.
- Jonathan Bennett, Entitlement
- Tony Burgess, Pontypool Changes Everything
- Trevor Clark, Born to Lose
- Joey Comeau, Overqualified
- Jon Paul Fiorentino, Stripmalling
- Brian Francis, Fruit
- Sky Gilbert, Brother Dumb
- Derek McCormack, The Show That Smells
- Christopher Meades, The Three Fates of Henrik Nordmark, The Last Hiccup
- Corey Redekop, Shelf Monkey, Husk
- Emily Schultz, Joyland
- Michael Barclay, Ian A.D. Jack and Jason Schneider, Have Not Been the Same: The Can-Rock Renaissance 1985-1995
- Paul Labonte, All City: The Book About Taking Space, Bully: It's The Pits
- Mark Coakley, Tip and Trade: How Two Lawyers Made Millions From Insider Trading
- Neil Peart, Far and Away: A Prize Every Time (2011) and Far and Near: On Days Like These (2014)
- Christopher Dewdney, The Natural History
- Robert Priest, Reading the Bible Backwards
- Stuart Ross, Hey, Crumbling Balcony! Poems New & Selected
- Jacob Scheier, More to Keep Us Warm
- Emily Schultz, Songs for the Dancing Chicken
- R. M. Vaughan, Ruined Stars
- Paul Vermeersch, The Fat Kid
- Hawksley Workman, Hawksley Burns for Isadora
- Anne Emery, Cecilian Vespers, The Sign of the Cross, Obit and Barrington Street Blues]
- Mike Harrison, All Shook Up, Wild Thing and Ruby Tuesday
- Brad Kelln, In Tongues of the Dead
- Mike Knowles, Darwin's Nightmare
- John McFetridge, Dirty Sweet and Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere
- Ross Pennie, Tainted
- Brent Pilkey, Lethal Rage
- Geri Jewell, I'm Walking as Straight as I Can
- , ECW Official Site - About Us.