|National Popular Front
Εθνικό Λαϊκό Μέτωπο
|Colours||Blue and White|
|Politics of Cyprus
ELAM (Ε.ΛΑ.Μ.), the National Popular Front (Greek: Εθνικό Λαϊκό Μέτωπο, Ethniko Laiko Metopo), is a nationalist movement founded in 2008 in the Republic of Cyprus. It describes its ideology as "popular and social nationalism" and promotes Greek nationalism. As of May 2011 it has been approved as a legal political party. On December 28, 2010, ELAM organized a march against Turkish Cypriots and migrants.
Its manifesto proclaims that the movement promotes a strict anti-federalist solution concerning the Cyprus dispute, a zero-toleration anti-immigration policy against illegal immigration, and Hellenistic education.
Violence involving ELAM
The party has been the subject of controversy in the Cypriot media and the broader political scene. It has been repeatedly accused of promoting racism and being involved in acts of violence. In July 2010 it was reported that after the condemnation ceremonies against the Turkish invasion of 1974 in the 20th of July, people with ELAM t-shirts had attacked a Nigerian man in Makariou street in Nicosia. On the 19th of March in 2011, eyewitnesses reported that members of ELAM beat up a lottery seller in Lidras street in Nicosia after a disagreement in political views. Furthermore, it was reported that eight ELAM members, one of which ranked as a second lieutenant in the Cypriot National Guard, were arrested by the police in connection to at attack against university students during the student elections of the University of Nicosia on the 6th of December, 2011. In addition, local newspaper Haravgi reported that on the 11th of May 2012, a second lieutenant was found training ELAM members in shooting mortars in a National Guard's shooting ground. The Ministry of Defense confirmed that an officer had been charged for calling a non-authorized person for shooting in a shooting ground, but specified that it was a rifle shooting. The Ministry made no comment on possible political connections to the incident.
ELAM has officially opposed its association with the incidents mentioned, stating that no ELAM members have been convicted for the specific crimes that its members have been accused of. It further accused the media and other organisations for intentionally connecting the movement with the incidents, in order to damage its public image.
Connections with Golden Dawn
ELAM has been openly connected with Greek far-right political party Golden Dawn, which it describes as a "brother movement". Members and supporters of ELAM celebrated in the streets after the Greek legislative electoral results of May 2012, which gave Golden Dawn representation in the Greek parliament for the first time. The party officially congratulated the leader of Golden Dawn, Nikolaos Michaloliakos, for their electoral success. ELAM's anti-occupation march against the ongoing Turkish occupation that was held on the 20th of July 2012 at Ledra Palace was also attended by Golden Dawn MP Polibios Zisimopoulos, who was invited by ELAM and gave a speech concerning the Greek economic crisis and the Turkish occupation of Cyprus. In late December 2012, ELAM announced its candidate Georgios Charalambous; for the upcoming presidential elections; in the presence of two members of Golden Dawn, Giannis Lagos and Ilias Kasidiaris. It was reported that in the presentation Ilias Kasidiaris stated that "ELAM and Golden Dawn are not simply brother parties" and that "ELAM is the Golden Dawn of Cyprus". In September 2013 ELAM's leader, Christos Christou, stated on Sigma TV that "we are the Golden Dawn of Cyprus" and that the party attempted to register with the name Golden Dawn: Cypriot Kernel, but was rejected by the state's authorities, resulting in the use of the name National Popular Front as an alternative.
- Katsourides, Yiannos (2013), "Determinants of Extreme Right Reappearance in Cyprus: The National Popular Front (ELAM), Golden Dawn's Sister Party", South European Society and Politics, doi:10.1080/13608746.2013.798893
- "Επικίνδυνη ναζιστική διείσδυση στον Κυπριακό στρατό". Βαθύ Κόκκινο (Deep Red). 18 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "ΚΑΜΙΑ ΑΝΟΧΗ ΣΤΟΥΣ ΕΘΝΙΚΙΣΤΕΣ- ΝΕΟ ΝΑΖΙ". Falies. 26/07/2010. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "‘We’ll come at night and find you, traitor’". Cyprus Mail. December 29, 2009. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- ELAM's blog
- "ELAM seeks to echo Golden Dawn’s success: Will Greek vote boost nationalism in Cyprus?". http://news.pseka.net/. International Coordinating Committee "Justice for Cyprus" (PSEKA). 2012-05-13. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "O Γενικός Εισαγγελέας ξεκαθάρισε τί εστί κόμμα". Sigma Live. 2 May 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Antifascist Initiative, Press release condemning the Hate March at Larnaca, KISA, Retrieved 2011-05-16.
- "Cyprus Election Results 2011". Pseka News. 2011-05-22. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "ΕΛΑΜ: "αγκάθι στο πλευρό του πολιτικού κατεστημένου το ποσοστό μας"". Sigma Live. 6 July 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Cypriot presidential election, 2013: Results and Reaction". Wikipedia. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- Greek: Δελτίο Τύπου - Βουλευτικές εκλογές 2011 ("Press Release - Parliamentary elections 2011"), ELAM's blog, 18 March 2011
- "Racism went out in the Streets (Ο ρατσιμός βγήκε στους δρόμους)". Politis Newspaper. 22/07/2010. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- ""We are Heating the Egg of the Snake" ("Ζεσταίνουμε το αβγό του φιδιού")". Politis Newspaper. 23/03/2011. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Eight Suspects, All Members of ELAM for the Attack at the University of Nicosia (Οκτώ ύποπτοι όλοι μέλη του ΕΛΑΜ για την επίθεση στο Πανεπιστήμιο Λευκωσίας)". Phileleftheros. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Αξιωματικός της Ε.Φ. φέρεται να εκπαίδευε ΕΛΑΜΙΤΕΣ". Sigma Live. 13 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Ανθυπίλαρχος εκπαίδευε στα όπλα μέλη του ΕΛΑΜ". iKypros. 13 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Ανθυπίλαρχος εκπαίδευε στα όπλα μέλη του ΕΛΑΜ". Εμπροσθοφύλακας. 13 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Επιβεβαιώνει τη "Χ" το Υπουργείο Αμυνας". Haravgi. 15 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- ""ELAM has no Connection With the Attack at the University" ("Το ΕΛΑΜ δεν έχει καμία σχέση με την επίθεση στο Πανεπιστήμιο")". Sigma Live. 7 December 2011. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "ELAM:"The article of Haravgi is Slanderus" (Ε.ΛΑ.Μ.:" Συκοφαντικό το δημοσίευμα της Χαραυγής")". Sigma Live. 14 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "The Cypriot "Golden Dawn" Excuses Kasidiaris (Η κυπριακή "Χρυσή Αυγή" δικαιολογεί τον Κασιδιάρη)". Lifo.gr. 9.6.2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Congradulations of ELAM to Golden Dawn (Συγχαρητήρια Ε.ΛΑ.Μ. προς Χρυσή Αυγή)". Sigma Live. 7 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Congradulations of ELAM towards Golden Dawn (Συγχαρητήρια Ε.ΛΑ.Μ σε Χρυσή Αυγή)". ANT1. 7 May 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Anti-occupation event 20/07/2012 - Speech by the Golden Dawn MP (Αντικατοχική 20/07/2012 - Ομιλία από τον βουλευτή της Χρυσής Αυγής)". National Popular Front. 26 July 2012. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "ELAM announces its candidate". Cyprus Mail. January 1, 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "ELAM, as Golden Dawn (ΕΛΑΜ όπως Χρυσή Αυγή)". Prin Newspaper. January 6, 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- ""We are the Golden Dawn of Cyprus" (Είμαστε η Χρυσή Αυγή της Κύπρου λέει το ΕΛΑΜ (video))". Phileleftheros Newspaper. 20 September 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "Αποκάλυψη: Η Χρυσή Αυγή χρηματοδοτεί και το ΕΛΑΜ! Αυτό δήλωσαν Κασιδιάρης και Ματθαιόπουλος!". To Thema Newspaper. 25 October 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.
- "ΑΚΕΛ: Η Χρυσή Αυγή χρηματοδοτούσε το ΕΛΑΜ". Sofokleous In. 30 October 2013. Retrieved 26 November 2013.