Angela Lindvall on the cover of Elle France
Lorraine Candy (UK)
Gloria Lam (HK)
|Frequency||Weekly (France only)
|Publisher||Kevin O'Malley (also SenioChief Revenue Officer)|
|First issue||1945 (France); 1969 (Japan); 1985 (U.S.); 1987 (Italy); 1988 (China); 1994 (Thailand); 2005 (Serbia)|
|Company||Hachette Filipacchi Media|
|Language||Bulgarian, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovene, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Vietnamese|
Elle is a worldwide lifestyle magazine of French origin that focuses on fashion, beauty, health, and entertainment. Elle is also the world's best selling fashion magazine. It was founded by Pierre Lazareff and his wife Hélène Gordon in 1945. The title, in French, means "she" or "her".
Elle was founded in France in 1945. In the 1960s, it was considered to "not so much reflect fashion as decree it", with 800,000 loyal readers and a then famous slogan: "Si elle lit, elle lit Elle (If she reads, she reads Elle)". In 1981, Daniel Filipacchi and Jean-Luc Lagardère purchased Hachette magazines, which included the then-struggling Elle. Elle was then launched in the U.S. (News Corporation owned a stake in the US edition until 1988, followed by 25 other foreign editions). The Chinese version of the magazine was published in 1988.
Today, it is the world's largest fashion magazine, with 43 international editions in over 60 countries. Technologically speaking, the Elle brand is a global network encompassing over 33 websites. Subscriptions account for 73 percent of readers. There are 33 Elle websites globally, which collectively attract over 25 million unique visitors and 370 million page views per month. Elle reaches over 69 million readers. The vast majority (82 percent) of Elle's audience are women between the ages of 18 and 49. Elle readers have a median age of 34.7 years. Forty percent of readers are single, and the median household income is $69,973. "Our readers are young enough to think about life as an adventure and old enough to have the means to live it", said Robbie Myers, editor in chief. Elle owes its graphic signature to art director Peter Knapp.[not in citation given]
The first international edition of Elle was launched in Japan in 1969. Then its US and UK editions were launched in 1985. Next year the magazine was first published in Spain. In 1987 Elle began to be published in Hong Kong and Italy. In 1988 the magazine was launched in six countries, namely Germany, Brazil, China, Sweden, Greece and Portugal. Next year it was first published in the Netherlands and Quebec. In 1990 the magazine was started in Australia and Taiwan. Its Russian edition, published monthly, was launched in 1996.
Elle is owned by the Lagardère Group of France. It is published in the US and the UK by Hearst Magazines, in Canada by Transcontinental Media, in Brazil by Grupo Editora Abril, in Mexico by Grupo Expansión, in Argentina by Grupo Clarín, in Singapore by Mediacorp, in Serbia/Croatia by Adria Media, in Turkey by Doğan Burda Magazine, in Germany by Hubert Burda Media, and in Romania by Ringier. In China the publisher is Shanghai Translation Publishing House.
As an international magazine, Elle has its headquarters in Paris as well as licensed publishers in New York City, London, Toronto, Mexico City, Istanbul, Brussels, Tokyo, Warsaw, Belgrade, Oslo, Helsinki, Bucharest, Athens, Delhi, Madrid, Milan, Munich, Jakarta, Kiev, and other cities.
In December 2013, Elle hired Randy Minor as design director.
- Elle Girl
- Elle (India)
- List of Elle (India) cover models
- List of fashion magazines
- List of women's magazines
- Alexandra Steigrad (19 December 2013). "Elle Magazine Names Design Director". WWD. Archived from the original on 21 December 2013. Retrieved 19 December 2013.
- "Top 10 Fashion Mazgines in the World". Blog. Rich Top 10 Lists. Archived from the original on 21 April 2014. Retrieved 20 April 2014.
- "Magazines: Si Elle Lit, Elle Lit Elle". Time. 22 May 1964. Archived from the original on 23 October 2013. Retrieved 27 October 2010.
- Yang Feng; Katherine Frith (Fall 2008). "The Growth of International Women’s Magazines in China and the Role of Transnational Advertising" (PDF). AEJMC Magazine. Archived from the original on 29 November 2014. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- "Denis Boyles on EuroPress". National Review Online. 10 October 2013. Archived from the original on 17 October 2013.
- "Elle overview". Hachette Filipacchi. Archived from the original on 28 October 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- Media News - TV Ratings - Television Programming
- "Elle reader demographics". Hachette Filipacchi. Archived from the original on 27 September 2007. Retrieved 11 November 2007.
- Branding - Corporate Branding - Internet Brand Marketing
- http://www.fiaf.org/events/spring2008/2008-05-08-knapp.shtml 8 May 2008
- Helena Hafstrand (1995). "Consumer Magazines in Transition". The Journal of Media Economics 8 (1). Retrieved 14 December 2014.
- Jukka Pietiläinen (2008). "Media Use in Putin's Russia". Journal of Communist Studies and Transition Politics 24 (3). doi:10.1080/13523270802267906. Retrieved 29 November 2014.
- Doğan Burda Magazine