||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (October 2013)|
|Type||Privately held company|
|Industry||environmental consulting, health sciences, engineering, regulatory affairs, product safety, sustainability, EHS program management, risk management, construction management, design and planning|
|Founded||Washington, D.C. (1982)|
|Key people||Stephen T. Washburn,
Chief Executive Officer
ENVIRON Holdings, Inc. (d/b/a ENVIRON) is a privately held, international environmental, safety and health sciences consulting firm headquartered in Arlington, Virginia. Founded in 1982, the firm today has operations in more than 80 offices in 19 countries, with approximately 1,400 employees. ENVIRON’s work frequently involves addressing interrelated scientific, business and policy issues to help clients assess and mitigate potential risks, to ensure regulatory compliance or to achieve sustainable performance targets.
ENVIRON was founded in Washington, D.C., in 1982.
In 1996 the firm acquired EAG, a consulting firm in the United Kingdom. In 2003 ENVIRON merged with Applied Epidemiology, Inc., a provider of epidemiological consulting services in occupational health, environmental health and injury, and disability research. ENVIRON then merged in 2005 with The ADVENT Group, an engineering consulting firm specializing in industrial wastewater management and related areas, and developer of the patented ADVENT Integral System (AIS).
In 2007 ENVIRON acquired Boelter Associates, Inc., a consulting firm with expertise in industrial hygiene and building forensics. In 2009, the firm acquired Brazilian consultancy ARQUIPÉLAGO Engenharia Ambiental Ltda.(Arquipélago).
Operations and services
The firm offers various environmental, health and safety, sustainability and health sciences services, including air quality and climate change management, regulatory compliance assistance, due diligence, remedial design and engineering, ecology and sediment management, and risk and exposure assessment and management.
In its April 29, 2013 edition, Engineering News-Record ranked ENVIRON Holdings, Inc., as the 27th largest pure design firm; the 35th largest design firm in international markets; and the 49th largest overall U.S. design firm.
ENVIRON provides assistance in assessing and mitigating potential environmental risks so that companies can operate more efficiently, address legal and regulatory challenges and reduce or eliminate future liabilities. Key services include: air quality management; climate change and energy management; due diligence; ecology and sediment management; risk assessment and management; and site investigation and remediation.
The firm provides assistance so that industrial facilities are regulatory compliant, manage potential liabilities, and can assess environmental, health, and safety risks when making an acquisition. Key services include: Building Performance and Property Loss Consulting, Compliance Assistance, Dose Reconstruction, Occupational Health and Safety; and Site Investigation and Remediation.
ENVIRON assesses and addresses potential human health risks associated with environmental, residential and workplace exposures and product-related exposures. This work includes product safety and stewardship, industrial hygiene and safety, risk assessment and management, and industrial chemical safety evaluations.
At the request of the Hong Kong Environmental Protection Department the company developed a comprehensive air quality model system to address air quality concerns, including ozone, particulate matter, and other pollutants due to local sources, as well as transport from China and other areas in Asia.
ENVIRON was engaged to deliver a wide range of social and environmental services to international standards related to a 13,000-km-long fibre optic submarine telecommunications cable system running the entire length of the Indian Ocean coast of Africa, from South Africa to Egypt.
In the United States, the firm has worked with the Marathon Petroleum Company at its major gulf coast refinery in Garyville, Louisiana, to develop VOC BioTreat™, a patent-pending biotreatment solution to reduce volatile organic compound emissions at oil and chemical refineries. The company asserts that the system achieves regulatory compliance and cost savings of an order of magnitude.
Their studies uncovered the chemical mechanism that established a link between certain types of gypsum wallboard (Chinese drywall) and corrosive effects on copper and silver components in residential properties across the southeastern United States. ENVIRON scientists were the first to recognize and publish findings about the progressive nature of the corrosion.
BP Remediation Management awarded ENVIRON four framework agreements for a range of strategic worldwide environmental services. Two agreements call for the firm to provide a broad spectrum of environmental services for upstream, refining and marketing, shipping and remediation that include regulatory compliance; multimedia modeling; environmental, social and health impact assessments; natural resource management; due diligence support; and sustainability services around the world. Two additional agreements focus on global inland and offshore oil spill preparedness and response planning.
The company and another prominent engineering and scientific firm, Exponent, were employed by Georgia-Pacific to conduct research intended for its defense in an asbestos-related lawsuit. Controversially, the dissemination of the research was controlled by Georgia-Pacific  and is subject to ongoing litigation.
Awards and honors
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency USEPA selected ENVIRON Principal Dr. Carl Adams to join its task force for the Wastewater Treatment and Related Modeling Technical Workshop. During the opening panel of the first task force meeting, Dr. Adams spoke on Zero Discharge of Water from Hydrofracturing Activities, a unique concept he has developed to recycle 100 percent of all wastewaters related to hydraulic fracturing activities, including spills and rainwater. The concept involves no contact with air, ground and surface water or soils.
In January 2013, the Climate Change Business Journal awarded ENVIRON its Gold Medal Business Achievement Award in Energy and Carbon Management.
ENVIRON also assisted a client in Milan, Italy that received the first award for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification, the U.S. Green Building Council’s highest certification level.
In 2011, the American Academy of Environmental Engineers Excellence in Environmental Engineering Competition awarded ENVIRON its Grand Prize, Research for ENVIRON’s American patent-pending VOC BioTreat™ Technology.
Also in 2011, the firm won the UK's Edie Environmental Excellence Award: Best Consultancy for Due Diligence.
ENVIRON won the Chemical Industry Awards REACH Service Provider Award 2010.
In 2011, Dr. Joseph V. Rodricks, a co-founder and Principal of ENVIRON International, prepared a chapter on exposure science appearing in the third edition of the National Academies of Science’s Reference Manual on Scientific Evidence. He has also written for the International Journal of Toxicology.
ENVIRON professionals have published more than 20 articles in peer-reviewed and scientific publications since April 2012.
ENVIRON Principal P. Robinan Gentry co-authored “Evaluation of gene expression changes in human primary uroepithelial cells following 24-Hr. exposures to inorganic arsenic and its methylated metabolites,” in the publication Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis. This publication was honored with the Editor’s Choice.
- "Company Overview of ENVIRON International Corporation" Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Press Release: Steven H. Kahn Joins ENVIRON" ENVIRON. 04 June 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "ENR: The Top 500" ENR. From the original on 29 April 2013, pp, 9, 10, and 14. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Environment" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "ENVIRON completes life cycle assessment for National Geographic Society" National Geographic Society. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Corporate Governance for Main Market and AIM Companies" London Stock Exchange. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Climate Action Plan" Green Santa Clarita. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Study: Tier 3 sulfur rule would do little to improve air quality" American Petroleum Institute. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "CLIA Position on North American ECA" CLIA. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Facilities" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "ENVIRON appointed on Georgia's largest container freight port development" World Port Development. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Chinese Drywall – The Science and The Myths" Building Health Sciences. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Sun Chemical Issues Carbon Footprint Report" Sun Chemical. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Human Health" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Study: No health risks at Samsung factories" CNN. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Firm to create design for asbestos removal at Carpenter" Trib Local - Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Officials: Air OK in mobile classrooms" The Courier-News - Chicago Sun-Times. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Beverage patterns may make or break diet" Boca Raton News. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Costs Go Up When Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Patients Develop Anemia" DocGuide.com. Retrieved 2013-07-30.
- "Air Quality Management: Modeling Hong Kong Air Quality" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "VOC Biotreat: A cost-effective solution for the biodestruction of volatile organic compound emissions" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Chinese Drywall Cited in Building Woes" The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Builder's study finds drywall tied to corrosion" The Sarasota Herald-Tribune. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- Morris, Jim (21 October 2013). "Facing asbestos lawsuits, paper giant launched research program". Salon. Retrieved 23 October 2013.
- "Technical Worshop on Wastewater Treatment and Related Modeling" U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. 18 April 2013. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "Dr. Carl Adams selected for USEPA task force on hydrofracturing waste water treatment" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-07-12.
- "2012 CCBJ Business Achievement Award" Environmental Business International. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Containerisation 2013 Awards" Containerisation International. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "ENVIRON wins award for environmental services to DP World" ENVIRON. 05 October 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "ENVIRON assists client in achieving Italy's first LEED Platinum building" ENVIRON. 21 March 2012. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Patented & Innovative Cost-Saving Control Device for Facility-Generated Volatile Organic Compound (VOC) Emissions, Marathon Refinery" AAEES. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Reference Guide on Exposure Science" The National Academies Press. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Dr. Joseph V. Rodricks" International Journal of Toxicology. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Publications" ENVIRON. Retrieved 2013-06-07.
- "Evaluation of gene expression changes in human primary uroepithelial cells following 24-Hr exposures to inorganic arsenic and methylated metabolites” Wiley Online Library. Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis. 2013 March. Retrieved 2013-06-07.