ER (season 15)
|ER (season 15)|
DVD box set
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||22|
|Original run||September 25, 2008 – April 2, 2009|
|Home video release|
|Region 1||July 12, 2011|
The fifteenth and final season of the American fictional drama television series ER premiered on September 25, 2008 and concluded on April 2, 2009, in a two-hour episode preceded by a one-hour retrospective special. The final season consists of 22 episodes.
The final season opens up revealing Gregory Pratt is the victim of the ambulance explosion. Despite the rallying efforts of his workplace colleagues, he succumbs to his injuries and dies. The season introduces Cate Banfield as new ER chief, a woman with a seemingly mysterious past with County General. Abby and Kovac leave for a new life in Boston, Brenner must deal with issues surrounding his childhood, Sam and Gates relationship suffers a setback while Neela is forced to make some tough decisions, both personal and professional.
To mark the end of the series and draw closure, several former cast members make a return to the show. Greene and Romano appear in a flashback episode that explores Banfield's history with County General while Carter returns to work at County although, unbeknownst to his colleagues, he is in desperate need of a kidney transplant while the likes of Benton, Ross, Lewis, Hathaway, Corday, Weaver and Barnett all make surprise returns.
- Goran Visnjic as Dr. Luka Kovač - Resigned1
- Maura Tierney as Dr. Abby Lockhart - Fourth Year Resident/ Attending Physician
- Mekhi Phifer as Dr. Greg Pratt - Attending Physician
- Parminder Nagra as Dr. Neela Rasgotra - Third Year Surgical Resident
- John Stamos as Dr. Tony Gates - Third Year Resident
- Linda Cardellini as Nurse Samantha Taggart
- Scott Grimes as Dr. Archie Morris - Attending Physician
- David Lyons as Dr. Simon Brenner - Attending Physician
- Angela Bassett as Dr. Catherine Banfield - Chief of Emergency Medicine
The final season included special appearances by departed regular and recurring cast members:
- Anthony Edwards as Dr. Mark Greene - Episode "Heal Thyself"
- George Clooney as Dr. Doug Ross - Episode "Old Times"
- Julianna Margulies as Nurse Carol Hathaway - Episode "Old Times"
- Laura Innes as Dr. Kerry Weaver - Episodes "Heal Thyself", "And in the End..."
- Alex Kingston as Dr. Elizabeth Corday - Episodes "Dream Runner", "And in the End..."
- Eriq La Salle as Dr. Peter Benton - Episodes "Old Times", "And in the End..."
- Paul McCrane as Dr. Robert Romano - Episode "Heal Thyself"
- Sherry Stringfield as Dr. Susan Lewis - Episode "And in the End..."
- Shane West as Dr. Ray Barnett - Episodes "Haunted", "Shifting Equilibrium", "I Feel Good"
- Noah Wyle as Dr. John Carter - Episodes "The Beginning of the End", "T-Minus-6", "What We Do", "Old Times", "And in the End..."
- Returning recurring characters
- Abraham Benrubi as Jerry Markovic - Multiple episodes
- Ellen Crawford as Nurse Lydia Wright - Episode "And in The End..."
- Hallee Hirsh as Rachel Greene - Episode "And in the End..."
- William H. Macy as Dr. David Morgenstern - Episode "A Long, Strange Trip"
- Thandie Newton as Makemba "Kem" Likasu - Episode "And in the End..."
- Matthew Watkins as Reese Benton - Episode "And in the End..."
- Doctors and Medical Students
- Amy Aquino as Dr. Janet Coburn - Chief of Obstetrics
- John Aylward as Dr. Donald Anspaugh - Chief of Staff
- Leland Orser as Dr. Lucien Dubenko - Chief of Surgery
- J. P. Manoux as Dr. Dustin Crenshaw - Surgical Attending Physician
- Gina Ravera as Dr. Bettina DeJesús - Radiologist
- Michael Buchman Silver as Dr. Paul Meyers - Psychiatrist
- Shiri Appleby as Dr. Daria Wade - ER Intern
- Julian Morris as Dr. Andrew Wade - Surgical Intern
- Victor Rasuk as Dr. Ryan Sánchez - ER Intern
- Emily Rose as Dr. Tracy Martin - ER Intern
- Sam Jones III as Chaz Pratt - First Year Medical Student/Part Time EMT
- Alexis Bledel as Dr. Julia Wise - ER Intern
- Gil McKinney as Dr. Paul Grady - Second Year ER Resident
- Bresha Webb as Laverne St. John - ER Intern
- Julia Jones as Kaya Montoya - ER Intern
- Deezer D as Nurse Malik McGrath
- Laura Cerón as Nurse Chuny Márquez
- Yvette Freeman as Nurse Haleh Adams
- Lily Mariye as Nurse Lily Jarvik
- Dinah Lenney as Nurse Shirley
- Angel Laketa Moore as Nurse Dawn Archer
- Staff and Paramedics
- Abraham Benrubi as Desk Clerk Jerry Markovic
- Troy Evans as Desk Clerk Frank Martin
- Emily Wagner as Paramedic Doris Pickman
- Monté Russell as Paramedic Dwight Zadro
- Lyn Alicia Henderson as Paramedic Pamela Olbes
- Brian Lester as Paramedic Brian Dumar
- Courtney B. Vance as Russell Banfield, Catherine Banfield's husband
- Amy Madigan as Mary Taggart, Samantha Taggart's mother
- Shannon Woodward as Kelly Taggart, Samantha Taggart's sister
- Dominic Janes as Alex Taggart. Samantha Taggart's son
Notable guest stars
- Christopher Chulack - Executive Producer
- Michael Crichton - Creator/Executive Producer
- John Wells - Executive Producer
- David Zabel - Executive Producer
- Joe Sachs - Executive Producer
- Janine Sherman Barrois - Executive Producer
- Lisa Zwerling - Co-Executive Producer
- Tommy Burns - Producer
- Wendy Spence Rosato - Producer
- Charles M. Lagola - Production Designer
- Arthur Albert - Director of Photography
- Martin Davich - Music
- Randy Jon Morgan, A.C.E. - Editor
- Mimi Leder, a frequent director during ER's first two seasons, returned as a director for the episode "A Long, Strange Trip".
- Rod Holcomb, the director of the 1994 pilot episode as well as several other early episodes, returned to direct two episodes in this season, among them the series finale.
|Title||Directed by||Written by||Original air date||Production
|310||1||"Life After Death"||Christopher Misiano||Joe Sachs||September 25, 2008||15001|
Gates hurries to the scene of the ambulance explosion after learning it was Pratt, not Sam, in the ambulance. Pratt is rushed back to County suffering from blast injuries, where the ER staff work to stabilize him. Eventually, a carotid tear develops, and he dies. Meanwhile, Abby misdiagnoses a patient, and talks about her plans to leave Chicago with Kovač, while Morris must pick up the pieces after Pratt's death.
Final Appearance of Dr. Greg Pratt.Note: Nielsen Ratings: 7.92 million viewers
|311||2||"Another Thursday at County"||Paul McCrane||Lisa Zwerling||October 9, 2008||15002|
A new batch of interns as well as the new head of the ER arrive for their first day at County, while adjusting, a bio-terrorist with a bag full of Ricin is admitted with a broken leg.First Appearance of Dr. Cate Banfield.
|312||3||"The Book of Abby"||Christopher Chulack||David Zabel||October 16, 2008||15003|
Abby gets a job in Boston and tries to leave County General quietly, but the staff makes it known how much they will miss her. Abby says goodbye and leaves for Boston with Kovač and her son.Final Appearance of Dr. Luka Kovac and Final Regular Appearance of Dr. Abby Lockhart.
|313||4||"Parental Guidance"||John Gallagher||Janine Sherman Barrois||October 23, 2008||15004|
|Dissatisfied with the interns' performance, Banfield decides to start a new system. Each intern gets a mentor with daily two-way crits: Daria is paired with Gates, Ryan with Morris, and Tracy with Brenner. Brenner tells Tracy how he wants to proceed, but she insists on doing things her way. A girl comes in with a broken leg which may be caused by a severely mentally ill family member.|
|314||5||"Haunted"||Christopher Chulack||Karen Maser||October 30, 2008||15005|
|Sam's time is taken up by her studies for a pharmacology exam, leaving Gates feeling neglected. A school fight results in a stabbing, with Brenner treating the victim and trying to uncover the truth behind the story. Morris has a surprise for Neela. Gates gets locked in a stairwell with a quiet young boy on Halloween night.|
|315||6||"Oh, Brother"||Stephen Cragg||Virgil Williams||November 6, 2008||15006|
|Banfield is upset when her husband Russell insists on a visit with his parents; Morris favors Chaz over senior interns, resulting in trouble; Gates asks Sam and Alex to move in with him.|
|316||7||"Heal Thyself"||David Zabel||David Zabel||November 13, 2008||15007|
Banfield must deal with the ghosts of her past when a critically ill child arrives in the ER. A past encounter with Mark Greene helps her diagnose and confront her own problems. Neela's intern loses his first patient, and struggles to cope.Final appearances of Dr. Mark Greene and Dr. Robert Romano.
|317||8||"Age of Innocence"||Paul McCrane||Janine Sherman Barrois||November 20, 2008||15008|
|A man acquitted of child molestation comes into the ER with his wife, who was injured when their house was set on fire, drawing Brenner's hostility. Later, the man's interest in a young girl leads his brother-in-law to beat him, nearly blinding him. When Brenner becomes emotional while the man is treated, Morris confronts him, leading to an emotional revelation about Brenner's past. Neela's frustration with her intern reaches the boiling point, and Dubenko teaches her a lesson in the importance of teaching and mentorship. Gates continues his search for the missing veteran.|
|318||9||"Let it Snow"||Charles Haid||Joe Sachs||December 4, 2008||15009|
|While snow strands Banfield and Morris at a doctors' conference in Omaha, Gates is left in charge of the kids. He allows Sam's son Alex and Sarah to walk through the blizzard to a nearby party. Driving a friend's car after the party, Alex is gravely injured as he crashes in the storm. Sam goes ballistic.|
|319||10||"The High Holiday"||Lesli Linka Glatter||Shannon Goss||December 11, 2008||15010|
|Morris receives an unwanted package from his father at the ER doorstep. Sam is anxious about getting Alex off of the ventilator after his accident. Meanwhile, a pregnant woman with a high-risk pregnancy is in danger of getting deported. Sam tells Gates that she and Alex are moving out.|
|320||11||"Separation Anxiety"||Terence Nightingall||Virgil Williams||January 8, 2009||15011|
|The ER treats two brothers who are shot during a drug deal. Banfield and her husband continue their quest to restart their family. Sam and Gates argue while treating patients.|
|321||12||"Dream Runner"||Andrew Bernstein||Lisa Zwerling||January 15, 2009||15012|
|Neela has a series of three dreams where the outcome of the lives of two patients depend on her decisions. In the first two dreams, she makes either of two choices, but each one kills the patients. The third dream, she makes a new choice, saving the lives of two patients as well as sleeping with Brenner. In the end, it is revealed they were all dreams.|
|322||13||"Love Is a Battlefield"||Richard Thorpe||Karen Maser||January 22, 2009||15013|
|Morris treats a youngster who was hit while riding her bike. Meanwhile, Gates has trouble distancing himself from Sam; and Neela's nerves take over when she learns Brenner has returned from Australia.|
|323||14||"A Long, Strange Trip"||Mimi Leder||Joe Sachs||February 5, 2009||15014|
|Dr. Morgenstern visits County General upon learning a former mentor is seriously ill. Meanwhile, Sam's sister (Shannon Woodward) drops by unexpectedly; Gates and Morris treat an elderly man who was assaulted on the street; and Brenner is shocked by a patient's diagnosis.|
|324||15||"The Family Man"||Eriq La Salle||Andrew Fash||February 12, 2009||15015|
|A mother is severely injured by a car accident in the ambulance bay; an insurance company frustrates Morris; Neela tells Brenner about her offer in North Carolina.|
|325||16||"The Beginning of the End"||Jonathan Kaplan||David Zabel & Lisa Zwerling||February 19, 2009||15016|
|Valentine's Day in the ER sees Neela and Brenner growing closer. Banfield tries to convince her husband to go along with her new plan to have a baby. Gates treats a patient who may have ingested a toxin while "mushroom hunting" while Neela performs surgery on a young girl's mother. Morris and his girlfriend clash when he suspects her fellow officers physically assaulted a badly injured patient. Carter returns to the ER for a visit, gets the OK from Banfield to do some shift work at County, and is seen on hemo-dialysis in the final scene.|
|326||17||"T-Minus-6"||Rod Holcomb||David Zabel & Lisa Zwerling||February 26, 2009||15017|
|The Banfields explore their options with an adoption agency. Carter struggles with the new procedural and technological advances made to emergency medicine since he has been gone. Brenner confronts Lucy's foster family about his concerns. Morris treats a couple who takes his advice too far. Sam is shocked when her mother is brought into the ER. Neela makes a decision about her future at County. Banfield discovers Carter's medical condition.|
|327||18||"What We Do"||David Zabel||David Zabel||March 5, 2009||15018|
|A camera crew shooting footage for a documentary descends upon the ER. Detective Claudia Diaz is brought in with life-threatening gunshot wounds. Neela is perplexed by the lack of communication between her and Brenner. Sam struggles to reconcile with her mother. Carter's condition suddenly worsens.|
|328||19||"Old Times"||John Wells||John Wells||March 12, 2009||15019|
|As Carter awaits his kidney transplant, he gets a surprise visit from Benton. Meanwhile, Ross and Hathaway must receive consent for organ donation from a woman who is grief-stricken over the sudden death of her grandson, but Sam and Neela are stuck at the airport with the transplant organs in hand. Banfield bonds with an abandoned baby. Brenner continues to care for a little girl whose mother is awaiting a heart transplant.|
|329||20||"Shifting Equilibrium"||Andrew Bernstein||Lisa Zwerling||March 19, 2009||15020|
Neela clashes with Dubenko on two surgical cases and looks to prove her worth as attending material before she leaves County for good. Brenner looks to gain some insight into his abusive childhood.Final Regular Appearance of Dr. Neela Rasgotra, and Final Appearances of Dr. Lucien Dubenko and Dr. Abby Lockhart.
|330||21||"I Feel Good"||Stephen Cragg||Joe Sachs||March 26, 2009||15021|
|A woman returns to County to claim the baby she had abandoned there. The ER doctors and nurses assist at a camp for children recovering from open heart surgeries where Morris proposes to Claudia and Brenner befriends a kid who does not want to join in with the activities.|
|331||22||"And in the End..."||Rod Holcomb||John Wells||April 2, 2009||15022|
Series finale. A new medical facility for the underprivileged funded by Carter is opened and old colleagues return to show their support. Gates treats a teenager with alcohol poisoning after she and her friends play a drinking game. Sam is surprised when she receives a special gift for her birthday. This two-hour episode was preceded by a one-hour retrospective special.Note: According to an April 3, 2009 report on Entertainment Tonight, the episode attracted 16.4 million viewers, the highest rating of any drama series finale since Murder, She Wrote in 1996.