ESC Rennes School of Business
|ESC Rennes School of Business|
|Motto||Global Responsible Pioneers|
|Dean||Dr. Olivier Aptel|
|Academic staff||83 (30 nationalities)|
|Postgraduates||200 (Master), 30 (EMBA)|
|Doctoral students||15 PhD, 100 DBA|
|Location||Rennes (Brittany, France)|
ESC Rennes School of Business or École Supérieure de Commerce de Rennes is a French business school located in Rennes, the capital of Brittany, founded in 1990 by the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Rennes. ESC Rennes belongs to the group of prestigious French Grandes Écoles, elite graduate schools.
ESC Rennes is distinguished by its global outlook, international student body and international faculty. In addition to the French Grande École degree, ESC Rennes awards British certified qualifications such as: BA, MA, MSc, Executive MBA and PhD. The school also offers the Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) degree.
ESC Rennes, founded in 1990, is a research-based business school based in Rennes, Brittany, France. Based on its student body and faculty composition, ESC Rennes is the most internationally attended Grande École de Commerce in France: more than one in three of the students on campus come from outside of France, half of these from outside Europe, and 80% of the faculty members come from outside of France. The vast majority of courses are taught in English. The mission of the school is "to prepare, through education and research, innovative and responsible managers to perform in a global environment".
Through activities including team assignments and mandatory international internships, students are trained to work with people from different cultural backgrounds. French-speaking students take first-year courses in French, combined with intensive English language classes. All international students study French culture and language as a part of their programme.
The school is accredited by The French Ministry of Education (French: Le Ministère de L'éducation Nationale), The European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD-EPAS), The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the Association of MBAs (AMBA), and The Open University of the United Kingdom.
The OU accreditation (since 1994) means that the School is officially recognized as the equivalent of a British University. This gives the school the authority to award British certified qualifications such as the BA in International Business, MA in International Business, the Executive MBA, and the PhD, all of an international standard, in addition to its prestigious Programme Grande École diploma.
In 2013, ESC Rennes was placed 36th in the global Financial Times Ranking.
In 2014, the school was ranked joint 6th out of 36 in the Palmares des Grandes Ecoles de Commerce chart for centers of international excellence. In the same context, it was also referred to as the most international business school in France.
Masters and Executive MBA
A key feature of the ESC Rennes School of Business is its commitment to providing and growing a range of specialist Masters’ programmes which prepare graduates for rewarding international business careers. ESC Rennes offers Masters of Science and Master of Arts degrees also for holders of non-French bachelors.
- MA in International Business (MAIB)
- MSc in International Accounting (IA)
- MSc in International Business Negotiation (IBN)
- MSc in International Finance (IF)
- MSc in International Human Resource Management (IHRM)
- MSc in International Marketing (IM)
- MSc in Sports, Leisure and Tourism Management (SLT)
- MSc in Logistics and Supply Chain Management (LSCM)
- MSc in Global Business Management (GBM)
- MSc in Luxury Brand Management (LBM)
- Executive MBA
Participants who successfully complete the programme will be able to:
- Lead organizations and teams more effectively
- Integrate social responsibility into their thinking and decision making
- Rethink a company's strategy, structure, and processes and adapt them to a global and competitive environment
- More effectively manage change.
Commitment to Research
ESC Rennes has a strong commitment for providing high quality research on an international level. In terms of research output, which is in France measured by the ratio of publications in CNRS listed journals per professor, ESC Rennes is counted among the TOP 10 French schools of business. 
ESC Rennes offers the following research programs:
- MPhil and PhD (full-time programs in Rennes, France)
- Doctor of Business Administration (DBA) (part-time program for executives in China, Brazil and France)
The Global DBA program is organized in cooperation with the School of Economics and Management at Beijing University of Post and Telecommunications in China and (as a pre-DBA) with Fundação Getulio Vargas in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
ESC Rennes has a number of research centers in France carrying out academic research, including:
- Center for Responsible Business
- Center of Technology and Innovation Management
- Center of Consumer Behavior and Communication
Next to these core foci, faculty engages in research on topics as different as behavioral finance; organizational nepotism; ecological business models; information and social systems research; creativity and innovation management; culturomics; and critical management studies.
- ~1000+ on the Programme Grande Ecole: a 3 year French diploma taken after 2 years of university level studies (BAC+5 = or Masters level degree)
- ~700 foreign students
- ~30 EMBA students
- ~200 Masters level students, independent of the Programme Grande Ecole
- ~15 PhD students
- ~100 DBA students
- ~1500 taking courses in the Management Development Centre
ESC Rennes has a network of more than 140 overseas partner universities on five continents. The school offers the opportunity to obtain double diplomas with 20 exchange destinations.
The partner universities of ESC Rennes include:
- University College Dublin (Ireland)
- National University of Ireland, Maynooth (Ireland)
- University of East London (UK)
- BI Norwegian School of Management (Norway)
- Norwegian School Of Economics and Business Administration (Norway)
- Feng Chia University (R.O.C. Taiwan)
- Gulf University for Science and Technology (Kuwait)
- Helsinki School of Economics (Finland)
- Copenhagen Business School (Denmark)
- Warwick Business School (UK)
- Warsaw School of Economics (Poland)
- Kozminski University (Poland)
- Carleton University (Canada)
- Plekhanov Russian Academy of Economics (Russia)
- IMT Dubai (EAU)
- ITESM (Mexico)
- City University of Hong Kong (Hong Kong)
- Istanbul University (Turkey)
- IMT, Nagpur, India
- University of New England, New South Wales, Australia
- Umeå University (Sweden)
- Fundação Getúlio Vargas - EBAPE (Brazil)
- 80% Professors of non-French origin: 72 Professors representing 25 nationalities
- 64 nationalities represented in student body
- 30% to 100% of business courses taught in English in the Programme Grande Ecole (PGE), depending on the year of studies
- Eight masters level programmes are taught entirely in English
- British PhD programme: ESC Rennes School of Business is an Affiliated Research Centre (ARC) of the Open University of the United Kingdom
The Association was founded by a group of ESC Rennes alumni. The association works in close partnership with ESC Rennes and international companies to provide services to the global ESC Rennes alumni community. A major longitudinal survey of graduates from ESC Rennes' Grande École programme revealed that 78% of graduates' jobs involved some form of international work and 87% of graduates were happy with their long term (5-10 year) career development.