European Spatial Development Planning
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (October 2011)|
|Type||Network of European universities|
|Area served||Spatial development and planning, Town planning|
|Key people||Frank Moulaert, Flavia Martinelli, Arantxa Rodriguez, AbdelIllah Hamdouch|
The European Spatial Development Planning or ESDP-Network seeks to promote education, research and professional training in spatial planning across European countries, in collaboration with many partners in other regions of the world. To this purpose it considers planning as a process and a change agenda.
Presently coordinated by Frank Moulaert at Global Urban Research Unit, Newcastle University, the network coordinates a number of student and staff mobility programmes involving various partner institutions in a number of European countries. The existing structure is a merger of the Spatial Development Planning network established by Louis Albrechts at the University of Leuven, Belgium in 1987 and that built around the European Town planning by Richard Williams at Newcastle University in the 1990s. The overlaps between both networks shows a natural basis for their integration.
Aims and objectives
Three kinds of staff and students exchanges are supported under the banner of the network:
- General ERASMUS programme mobility;
- Short Intensive Programmes; and,
- a comprehensive Postgraduate Certificate in European Spatial Development and Planning.
Apart from this the network scholars are also engaged in wider interdisciplinary research through various programmes funded by European Commission and respective national institutions.
The network also holds regular scholarly events that generally address the evolution of planning aspects since the inception of the network.
- Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
- Université Lille Nord de France-USTL, France
- Université François-Rabelais, Tours, France
- University of Bremen, Germany
- Harokopio University, Athens, Greece
- Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Milan, Italy
- Università di Reggio Calabria, Reggio Calabria, Italy
- Politecnico di Torino, Italy
- Università di Roma La Sapienza, Italy
- Università degli Studi di Napoli Fredrico-II, Italy
- Universidade de Aveiro, Aveiro, Portugal
- Slovenská technická univerzita v Bratislave, Bratislava, Slovak Republic
- University of the Basque Country, Bilbao, Spain
- Kunliga Tekniska Hogskolan, Stockholm, Sweden
- Blekinge Tekniska Högskola, Blekinge, Sweden
- Middle East Technical University, Turkey
- University of Newcastle upon Tyne, Newcastle upon Tyne, England, UK
- Cardiff University, Wales, UK
- SOCIAL POLIS