|Launched||June 11, 2010 (USA)
July 30, 2010 (Australia)
|Closed||September 30, 2013|
|Owned by||ESPN Inc.|
|Picture format||720p (3DTV)|
|Slogan||Your 24/7 3D sports channel. See it all.|
ESPN 3D was a cable television network that featured 3D versions of sports events. The channel simulcasted live games from other ESPN networks on a semi-regular basis.[clarification needed] It began nonstop broadcasting on February 14, 2011.
ESPN 3D launched on June 11, 2010 with a 3D broadcast of the opening match of the 2010 FIFA World Cup. Other programs broadcast include the 2011 BCS National Championship Game and various college football and basketball games. Early programming included 25 matches from the 2010 World Cup and the Summer X Games. Up to 85 live events were shown on the network in 2010. ESPN 3D produced 14 games from the National Basketball Association (NBA) during the 2010-11 season, including 7 playoff games. The first NBA game broadcast was between the Miami Heat and the New York Knicks on December 17, 2010. On June 30, 2011, ESPN announced that ESPN 3D would air the first men's semi-finals match of the 2011 Wimbledon Championships live, to be followed by a tape of the 2nd men’s semi-finals. On July 4, 2011, it would also air a recording of the ladies' and men's finals. ESPN 3D also broadcast all of the 2011 Little League World Series games.
Carriage and closure
DirecTV, Comcast and AT&T U-verse carried ESPN 3D at its launch. Time Warner Cable reached an agreement to carry the channel a few months later and Verizon FiOS began carrying it in April 2011.
On August 1, 2011, while the X-Games were ongoing, AT&T abruptly stopped providing the ESPN 3D channel to its U-verse customers, citing high cost and low demand.
- "ESPN to unveil 3-D television network in 2010; ESPN 3D to show soccer, football, more". ESPN. January 5, 2010. Retrieved January 5, 2010.
- Baig, Edward C. (January 7, 2010). "2010 could be the year for 3D with 3-dimensional at-home TV". USA Today. Retrieved May 2, 2010.
- ESPN 3D Tips Off NBA Action With Heat-Knicks At MSG - Dec. 17 Contest Is First Of 14 Pro Hoops Games On The Network Multichannel News October 6, 2010
- ESPN 3D to Broadcast Wimbledon TV by the Numbers June 30, 2011
- DirecTV Puts On ESPN's 3D Glasses Multichannel News March 29, 2010
- Comcast Inks Carriage Pact For ESPN 3D Multichannel News May 12, 2010
- ESPN 3D Gains Carriage with AT&T U-Verse Broadcasting & Cable June 8, 2010
- Godinez, Victor (September 2, 2010). "Time Warner Cable/Disney reach agreement, ESPN3.com and ESPN 3D included". DallasNews.com. Retrieved 26 September 2010.
- ESPN 3D Coming To Verizon FiOS April 5 Multichannel News March 21, 2011
- AT&T Abruptly Drops ESPN 3D From U-Verse
- "ESPN 3D to Go Dark On September 30". TVPresictions.com. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- BREAKING: ESPN 3D Shutting Down At Year's End TVNewsCheck, June 12, 2013.