ESPN College Football Saturday Primetime
|College Football Primetime|
|Starring||Brent Musburger, Kirk Herbstreit, Heather Cox, Brad Nessler, Todd Blackledge and Holly Rowe|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Running time||3 hours (approximate)|
|Original channel||ESPN (1984-)|
|Original run||1984 – Present|
ESPN College Football Primetime is a live game presentation of Division 1-A college football on ESPN. In the past, the presenting sponsors have been Polaroid and AT&T. The current presenting sponsor is Hampton Hotels. The game telecast airs every Saturday night at 7:45pm ET during the college football regular season. The game is preceded by a 45 minute long College Football Scoreboard with Rece Davis, Lou Holtz and Mark May, all of whom also appear on the halftime report. This game telecast is also presented in high-definition on ESPN HD.
Since debuting in 1984, it has broadcast games from numerous conferences including the SEC, ACC, Big Ten and the Big East. In recent years, it has primarily featured the SEC as the second-choice game to CBS' national coverage earlier in the day. Games from the other conferences typically could air either on ESPN/ESPN2 or ABC, but the SEC does not offer such flexibility. This game is often seen as the ESPN Game of the Week along with the Thursday night telecast.
Some notable voices of ESPN College Football Primetime over the years have been Ron Franklin, Mike Gottfried and Adrian Karsten, but all have gone on to different assignments, except for Karsten, who died in 2005. Currently, the primary commentators for the ESPN version are Brad Nessler on play-by-play, Todd Blackledge as analyst and Holly Rowe as field reporter. The secondary commentators are Brent Musburger on play-by-play, Kirk Herbstreit as analyst and Heather Cox as field reporter, all of whom also serve as the primary commentating team for ABC's Saturday Night Football.
On August 30, 2008, the ESPN2 team of Mark Jones and Bob Davie commentated the Illinois-Missouri game. A week later (September 6, 2008), the ABC team of Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit commentated the Miami–Florida game.
Ron Franklin worked the November 22, 2008 game with Ed Cunningham as they commentated the Florida State–Maryland game. This marked the first time since 2005 that Franklin called an ESPN College Football Saturday Primetime game.
On October 1, 2005, in a game that Ron Franklin was calling along with Bob Davie, sideline reporter Holly Rowe lauded Purdue defensive coordinator Brock Spack for using all three timeouts on defense despite trailing by four touchdowns late in the game. "If the coaches are giving up," Rowe added, "what does that say to the players?" Franklin responded: "Holly, it's not giving up. It's 49-21, sweetheart."
In response to that, Mo Davenport, senior coordinating producer for college football said, "It was an inappropriate comment, and we've communicated that to Ron. There's never a reason to say something so mean-spirited. Ron apologized. We dealt with it internally."
- Todd Blackledge: (analyst, 2006–present)
- Brad Nessler: (play-by-play, 2009–present)
- Holly Rowe: (field reporter, 2005–08, 2010–present)
- Kirk Herbstreit: (analyst, 2013–present)
- Brent Musburger: (play-by-play, 2013–present)
- Heather Cox: (field reporter, 2013–present)
- Erin Andrews: (field reporter, 2004, 2009)
- Bob Davie: (ESPN analyst, 2005; also commentator for the August 30, 2008 game)
- Ron Franklin: (play-by-play, 1990–2005; also commentator for the November 22, 2008 game)
- Mike Gottfried: (analyst, 1990–2004)
- Adrian Karsten: (field reporter, 1990–2003) (D)
- Mike Patrick: (play-by-play, 2006–08)
- Holly Rowe: (field reporter, 2005–08)
- (D) - deceased
|Game||Play- by- play||Analyst(s)||Field reporter(s)|
|1990||Ron Franklin||Mike Gottfried||Adrian Karsten|
|2005||Bob Davie||Holly Rowe|
|2006||Mike Patrick||Todd Blackledge|
|2009||Brad Nessler||Erin Andrews|
|2013||Brent Musburger||Kirk Herbstreit||Heather Cox|
- Starting Lineups: The starting lineups are presented during the first possession of each team's offense and defense.
- Impact Players: Following the starting lineups, Patrick and Blackledge run down the top two or three impact players on each teams side of the ball.
- Halftime Report: The College Football Final crew of Rece Davis, Lou Holtz and Mark May present the halftime report, which features analysis of the first half, highlights of earlier games and a look at other happenings in the sports world.
- SportsCenter In-game: This segment appears during various time in the game, when Rece Davis gives up to the minute highlights when something big happens in another game.
- Primetime Pulse: Two or three times during the game, Rece Davis shows a screen with live coverage of the ABC primetime game, the ESPN primetime game and the ESPN2 primetime game.
- Todd's Taste of the Town: Usually shown in the second or third quarter, game analyst Todd Blackledge highlights a local eatery.
- College GameDay
- College Football Scoreboard
- College Football Final
- ESPN College Football Thursday Primetime
- ESPN2 College Football Saturday Primetime
- Saturday Night Football
- Snyder News: Karsten passes away at 45
- Organization of News: Drawing a Line Between Reporting and Commentating at the Wayback Machine (archived December 21, 2005)