||This article or section is in the process of an expansion or major restructuring. You are welcome to assist in its construction by editing it as well. If this article or section|
|Motto||"ESTIEM is an exciting network of open minded students with a professional approach"|
|Type||not for profit|
ESTIEM (European Students of Industrial Engineering and Management) is not-for profit the only Europe-wide organization for students in the field of industrial engineering and management (IEM). Its main goal is to establish and foster relations between students across Europe and to support them in their personal and professional development. As of 2013 year, ESTEIM network consists of 74 local groups in 28 countries, reaching out to 60,000 students.
ESTIEM was founded in 1990 in Berlin by IEM students from four different countries. The first statutes were signed by 14 universities from 7 countries. Since 1995, ESTIEM is an official student organization registered in Eindhoven according to the Dutch law.
The members of ESTIEM - in a legal sense - are the local groups (LGs) spread all over Europe. They are independently-functioning local student associations active in organizing and arranging Europe-wide and local activities. All these groups are related to the studies of IEM only, forming a strong network of EIM students all over the continent. ESTIEM is coordinated by the Board of ESTIEM whose members are elected during the General Assembly of autumn Council Meeting. The board is composed of the president of ESTIEM and five vice presidents (Administration, Public Relations, Activities, Finance and Education). The work of the board is supported by eight committees and ten project leaders.
ESTIEM exists in 32 countries across Europe:
- Austria (2 LGs - Graz, Vienna)
- Belarus (1 LG - Minsk)
- Belgium (1 LG - Brussels)
- Bulgaria (1 LG - Sofia)
- Croatia (1 LG - Zagreb)
- Cyprus (1 LG - Famagusta)
- Finland (5 LGs - Helsinki, Lappeenranta, Oulu, Tampere, Vaasa)
- France (2 LGs - Grenoble, Lyon)
- Germany ( 14 LGs - Aachen, Berlin, Braunschweig, Bremen, Darmstadt, Dortmund, Dresden, Hamburg, Ilmenau, Kaiserslautern, Karlsruhe, Munich, Paderborn, Siegen)
- Greece (2 LGs - Chios, Xanthi)
- Hungary (1 LG - Budapest)
- Italy (2 LGs - Milan, Calabria)
- Latvia (1 LG - Riga)
- Lithuania (2 LGs - Kaunas, Vilnius)
- Macedonia (1 LG - Skopje)
- The Netherlands (3 LGs - Eindhoven, Enschede, Groningen)
- Norway (1 LG - Trondheim)
- Poland (3 LGs - Gdansk, Poznan, Warsaw)
- Portugal (4 LGs - Aveiro, Coimbra, Lisbon, Porto)
- Romania (1 LG - Bucharest)
- Russia (2 LGs - St. Petersburg, Moscow)
- Serbia (3 LGs - Belgrade, Novi Sad, Kragujevac)
- Spain (3 LGs - Sevilla, Barcelona, Madrid)
- Sweden (5 LGs - Gothenburg, Linköping, Lulea, Lund, Stockholm)
- Switzerland (1 LG - Zurich)
- Turkey (7 LGs - Ankara-Bilkent, Ankara-METU, Istanbul-Bogazici, Istanbul-ITU, Istanbul-Yildiz, Izmir-DEU, Izmir-Economy)
- Ukraine (1 LG - Kiev)
- United Kingdom (1 LG - Cambridge)
Activities and projects
Activities include exchanges, conferences, case study competitions, trainings, lectures and workshops.
||This article appears to be written like an advertisement. (November 2013)|
The Tournament In Management and Engineering Skills (TIMES) is the largest pan-European case study competition for Industrial Engineering and Management students. This event attracts over 250 top teams each year. Two qualification rounds are required to be selected for the TIMES Final, which takes place in an annually changing venue in Europe. Before reaching this final stage, all the participants take part in a Local Qualification at their home university. The winning team is then allowed to participate in one of the eight Semi Finals, which are organized throughout Europe. The final week eventually brings together the winning teams from each Semi Final to determine Europe’s “IEM Students of the Year”.
TIMES was created in 1994 by Andreas Swahn, Vice President of Activities for ESTIEM as project manager. After having visited the London School of Economics in 1993 and the case competition CHAMP (Challenge in Management Perspectives). The first competition was organized with semi-finals in Stockholm (Sweden), Braunschweig (Germany), Lisbon (Portugal) and St. Petersburg (Russia). The final was held in Eindhoven (The Netherlands) and the team of Stockholm became the first winner of TIMES. The qualifying case for all students the first year was related to LKAB and steel production processes. The semi-final case was with Ericsson Mobile and about optimizing investment for mobile masts. The final in Eindhoven consisted of two cases, the first was from the Rotterdam Port and the second case in cooperation with Philips Electronics. TIMES is now reaching 45,000 students from 64 universities in 26 countries.
The Vision seminar
Vision is a Project of ESTIEM, combining technological understanding with management skills. Vision is a Europe-wide seminar series aiming to discuss an IEM-related topic among students and facilities. The Vision seminars offer lectures, workshops and case studies held by professors, businessmen and other facilitators.
Europe3D gathers students from all around the world in a 5–7 days seminar series, where the participants get to learn more about three distinct dimensions of a country: politics, economy and culture. Since the idea of the project was born in 2006, seminars have been successfully carried out in the following countries: Germany, Turkey, Serbia, Switzerland, France, the Netherlands, Romania, Finland, Sweden, Poland, Belgium, Spain, Hungary, Portugal, Greece and Norway.
ESTIEM Summer Academy
The ESTIEM Summer Academy was set up to bring together international students during summer holidays to engage in open discussion, group work, debate and private study under a senior Academic Leader. By talking, studying and mixing with students from all over the world all participants gain new ideas and perspectives, not just on their profession but also on other cultures.
ESTIEM Magazine is published twice a year and currently has a circulation of 10,000 copies covering main topics on the field of industrial engineering and management as well as different articles about past or upcoming ESTIEM events. It also contains articles by students, professors and experts who actively apply their knowledge in practice. Through advertising in different ways, which can be combined with articles, a company can present itself in the context of issues related to IEM. The magazine is distributed to all LGs in a short time after each General Assembly.
- Study information (e.g. deadlines, course information)
- Practical Information (e.g. accommodation, living costs)
- Stdent Activities (e.g. organizations, nightlife, sports
BrainTrainer is a project designed to develop leadership, presentation, business and human skills of the participants through professional trainings lasting one or two days. Its aim is to coach and develop the participants to become more professional and successful in their organization as well as in their own future career. The trainings are either led by professional trainers or members of the ESTIEM, who might be trainers and/or highly experienced alumni from the business field. Apart from the theoretical knowledge another focus lies on the learning by doing principle, which is facilitated in implementation hours, where the participants can represent the appropriate of their engaged knowledge by adapting it to a real life business situation.
BusinessBooster is a project that aims to promote and stimulate entrepreneurship spirit among students. It is reached by creating and constantly updating a database with materials useful for young entrepreneurs, organizing training events and several projects. BusinessBooster creates a friendly environment for students, alumni and companies to cooperate with each other.
- ESTIEM Portal http://www.estiem.org
- Structure of ESTIEM
- Official page of TIMES project
- Official page of the Vision seminar
- Program of Europe3D Skopje http://www.epsa-online.org/index.php/component/rseventspro/event/85-estiem-europe3d-event-macedonia?Itemid=435
- Official page of Europe3D project
- Official page of ESTIEM Summer Academy
- Official page of ESTIEM Magazine
- Official page of Student Guide project https://www.estiem.org/default.aspx?PageId=526
- Example Student Guide page of Eindhoven
- Official page of BrainTrainer project https://www.estiem.org/default.aspx?PageId=754
- Official page of the BusinessBooster project