(Euclid University, Pôle Universitaire Euclide)
|Headquarters||Gambia (current since 2013) and Central African Republic (historic) and Belgium (temporary until 2011)|
|Membership||12 Participating States|
|-||Secretary-General||Syed Zahid Ali|
|-||High Steward||Ambassador Juan Avila|
|-||High Steward||Former Prime Minister Faustin Touadera|
|-||Entry into force of Open Memorandum of Understanding I-49006||2008|
EUCLID, also called Pôle Universitaire Euclide or Euclid University, is an international intergovernmental organization with a university charter established in 2008 and headquartered in The Gambia, West Africa. Its primary mandate is to train officials for its Participating States but its programs are also offered to the general public.
- 1 History
- 2 Treaty information and legal status
- 3 Academic programs
- 4 Organizational structure
- 5 Cooperation with other intergovernmental bodies
- 6 Institutional Memberships
- 7 Accreditation and recognition
- 8 References
- 9 External links
EUCLID’s origins are connected with the creation of a group of universities called "Euclid Consortium" by the University of Bangui and the University of N’Djamena in 2006. The project was administered by the International Organization for Sustainable Development, an international non-governmental organization headed by Syed Zahid Ali. First conceived as an international extension for the University of Bangui, "Euclid" was redefined and constituted and a distinct institution in 2008 by an intergovernmental convention. The same year, the rector of the University of Bangui, Faustin-Archange Touadera was appointed as Prime Minister, and signed the convention formalizing his country’s participation in EUCLID in 2010. In January 2008, Syed Zahid Ali, acting as Secretary-General of IOSD, presented to various government representative attending a conference of the Islamic Chamber of Commerce and Industry a new legal framework called EUCLID Phase 2. Soon after, several governments interested in using the Euclid programs to train their own staff approved the statutes of the new international university which entered into force in April 2008.
Treaty information and legal status
United Nations treaty publication
According to the United Nations Treaty Series records, the EUCLID Open Memorandum of Understanding is classified as a "multilateral treaty" and entered into force in April 2008,. The "Updated Framework Agreement" entered into force in September 2009. The agreements signed by the Gambia have been registered by the Permanent Mission of the Gambia to the United Nations in 2013 but are not yet published.
|Country||Joined||Signatory name||Signatory position||Comment|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||2008||Girlyn Miguel||Minister of Education||With treaty registration|
|Sierra Leone, Republic of||2008||Zainab Bangura||Minister of Foreign Affairs||With treaty registration|
|Eritrea, State of||2008||Osman Saleh||Minister of Foreign Affairs||With treaty registration|
|Uganda, Republic of||2008||Sam Kutesa||Minister of Foreign Affairs||No treaty registration|
|Vanuatu, Republic of||2008||Bakoa Kaltongga||Minister of Foreign Affairs||No treaty registration|
|Senegal, Republic of||2009||Abdoulaye Faye||Minister to the President||With treaty registration|
|Benin, Republic of||2009||Paulin Djakpo||Director of Cabinet of the Minister of Foreign Affairs||No treaty registration|
|Comoros, Union of||2009||Mohamed Toihiri||Permanent Representative to United Nations||With treaty registration|
|Burundi, Republic of||2010||Augustin Nsanze||Minister of Foreign Affairs||With treaty registration|
|Central African Republic||2010||Faustin Touadera||Prime Minister||With treaty registration, only signed 49007|
|Timor-Leste, Democratic Republic of||2011||Joao Cancio Freitas||Minister of Education||With treaty registration|
|Gambia, Republic of the||2012||Mamadou Tangara||Minister of Education||With treaty registration|
The initial 2008 agreement indicated that "The operational offices of EUCLID are allowed to remain in Brussels, Belgium and may be relocated or extended elsewhere upon recommendation of the Governing Board or by resolution of the Oversight Council" (Statutes II.3). In 2011, EUCLID signed a first headquarters agreement with the Central African Republic and obtained office space in the Prime Minister’s building and on the campus of the University of Bangui. In 2013, owing to instability affecting Bangui and the Central African Republic, EUCLID signed a new headquarters agreement with the Republic of The Gambia, and leases offices in the Brusubi area of Banjul.
According to its constitutive text, EUCLID is defined as an having international legal personality and was granted a .int domain name under IANA regulations. As an "international intergovernmental organization", the institution also enjoys intellectual property protection under Article 6ter of the Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property which is administered by the World Intellectual Property Organization.
EUCLID offers graduate programs in:
- Diplomacy, International Law
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution
- Sustainable Development
- Islamic Finance
- Inter religious Dialogue
- Energy Studies
- International Public Health
EUCLID’s structure is spelled out in the statutes considered as annex to the published treaties. Its administrative organs are:
- A Governing Board
- A Board of Advisors
- An Executive Board
- An Oversight Council
Secretaries-General and High Stewards
- Syed Zahid Ali (Secretary-General, 2008–present), appointed in Section X.4 of the statutes for a term of six years
- Juan Avila, High Steward since 2015
- Faustin Touadera (),High Steward since 2014
Former High Stewards
- Banny deBrum, (High Steward, 2009-2011) Ambassador of the Republic of the Marshall Islands to the United States (2008-2011)
- Mohamed Toihiri, (High Steward, 2011-2012) Ambassador of the Union of the Comoros to the United States (2011-current)
- Hermenegilde Niyonzima, (Institutional High Steward, 2012–present) Ambassador of the Republic of Burundi to the United Nations (2012-2014)
- Roubani Kaambi, (Diplomatic High Steward, 2012–2014) Ambassador of the Union of the Comoros to the United States and United Nations (2012-current)
The EUCLID statutes mentions several "affiliated institutes":
- International Organization for Sustainable Development
- EUROSTATE University Institute
- International Institute for Inter-Religious Dialogue and Diplomacy
- Center for Ecological Desertification and Reforestation
Cooperation with other intergovernmental bodies
EUCLID has signed agreements with:
- Islamic Chamber of Commerce and Industry, an affiliated institution of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation
- Economic Community of West African States
- African Training and Research Centre in Administration for Development (CAFRAD)
- Islamic Development Bank (IsDB) 
- Academic Council on the United Nations Systems
- Association of African Universities
- United Nations Academic Impact
- GUNI (Global University Network for Innovation)
- United Nations Global Compact
In his personal capacity, the EUCLID Secretary General is a member of the International Association of University Presidents.
Accreditation and recognition
The National UNESCO Commission of Gambia posted in 2014 its "UNESCO Portal to Recognized Higher Education Institutions" documents which now include EUCLID (Euclid University) as "recognized / accredited".
The Permanent Mission of the Central African Republic to the United Nations wrote to the UN Secretariat in October 2012 to complain that the world’s 5 international universities were not included in the UN Inspira database. In December 2012, the United Nations replied that "both IAU/UNESCO and the UN Secretariat recognize Euclide- Pole Universitaire Euclide and the other four UN institutions ... as being accredited" in spite of not being included in Inspira. The UN also indicated that these institutions which are "regional or global in nature" would be included under their headquarters states in future editions of the IAU WHED database used by the United Nations.
Other Participating States and Africa
The 2008 intergovernmental agreement states in its Article I that "EUCLID is chartered to confer diplomas, degrees and completion certificates accredited by the ministries of Education of the Participating Parties." Gambia and Timor-Leste indicate that the degrees issued by EUCLID upon completion of the required coursework will be legally valid for use in the country by the graduates. According to the Permanent Mission of the Central African Republic to the United Nations, the UNESCO Regional Convention on the Recognition of Studies, Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees and other Academic Qualifications in Higher Education in the African States applies to EUCLID with effect in the 22 ratifying States. EUCLID is since June 2012 a member of the Association of African Universities which requires its members to be accredited.
EUCLID is not a US-based university and it not accredited by an organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education or Council on Higher Education Accreditation, but maintains an address in Washington, DC "exclusively used for appointments and meetings either with or by government-sponsored and government affiliated staff". The letters sent in 2012 by the governments of Burundi, Central African Republic and Comoros to the US Department of State describe the institution as being "duly chartered to confer degrees by its Participating States and enjoys full academic accreditation according to its constitutive mandate under international law (Article I)." Between 2008 and 2010, the state of Maine formerly listed "Euclid University" as an unaccredited institution. Maine removed the school from its list after receiving correspondence from EUCLID. Michigan published until 2012 a list of non-CHEA accredited universities whose graduates could not use their degree for public service employment, a list that included both "Euclid University" and the "United Nations University". Following an exchange of letters with EUCLID, Michigan ceased maintaining a list of institutions lacking CHEA accreditation, but advises that EUCLID graduates and all graduates from non-CHEA accredited universities applying for jobs with the State of Michigan must demonstrate that their degrees are equivalent to studies at a similar school accredited by a CHEA-recognized accrediting body. In December 2013, following a correspondence with EUCLID’s legal counsel and two ambassadors to the United States, Oregon's Attorney General’s office wrote that the Oregon Office of Degree Authorization (ODA) had stopped maintaining and publishing its list of unrecognized universities. Regarding "Euclid University", the ODA had since 2008 posted the notice: "ODA is currently evaluating the present legal status of this entity." As of February 2015, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board still indicates for "Euclid University": "Status under review per Euclid University's request". EUCLID has posted the relevant correspondence regarding these validation processes on its "legal affairs" page.
- "ACUNS Euclid University". Academic Council of the United Nations System. March 2014.
- "EUCLIDE et la République Centrafricaine". Permanent Mission of the Central African Republic. October 2012.
- "News for January 2008". International Organization for Sustainable Development. January 2008.
- "Intergovernmental body and ICCI partner fosters inter-religious dialogue and Islamic cooperation". Organization of Islamic Cooperation. August 2011.
- "Note Verbale of the Permanent Mission of The Gambia to the United Nations" (PDF). Permanent Mission of the Gambia to the United Nations. Retrieved 2014-04-01.
- Amadou Jallow (28 June 2013), EUCLID to transfer headquarters to Gambia, Gambia Daily Observer
- IANA (1 June 2008), IANA — .INT Policy & Procedures, IANA
- WIPO (1 June 2008), Article 6ter of the Paris Convention, WIPO
- Institut Fédéral de la Propriété Intellectuelle (19 May 2010), Exécution de la loi fédérale du 15 décembre 1961 concernant la protection des noms et emblèmes de l’Organisation des Nations Unies et d’autres organisations intergouvernementales (PDF), The Federal Authorities of the Swiss Confederation
- Shabait (1 July 2012), 58 civil servants obtain bachelors and masters degrees on the basis of distance learning, WIPO
- Shabait (1 July 2012), The LOT3 Project in Eritrea, EUCLID
- Ambassador from Marshall Islands: Who is Banny deBrum? - AllGov - News - Appointments and Resignations
- "OIC Journal Issue 18 English". ICCI. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- EUCLID ECOWAS Partnership and Scholarships
- "Association of Africa Universities". Aau.org. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Eight entities ratified as new GUNi Members during the Executive Committee Meeting, held in February — Global University Network for Innovation". Guninetwork.org. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- "Academic Participants". Unglobalcompact.org. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- The Gambia National Commission for UNESCO (June 2013), UNESCO Portal Documents, The Gambia National Commission for UNESCO
- Martha Helena Lopez, United Nations, Director, Strategic Planning and Staffing Division (December 10, 2012). "Reply to letter with reference 0218/RCA/MP/ONU-12" (PDF). Permanent Mission of the Central African Republic to the United Nations official website.
- "Open Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Participating EUCLID Parties regarding their Participation in the Educational Framework defined herein" (PDF). EUCLID. March 2008.
- "EUCLID Instrument of Participation and Approval Government of The Gambia" (PDF). EUCLID. July 2012.
- "EUCLID Instrument of Participation and Approval Government of Timor-Leste" (PDF). EUCLID. May 2011.
- "EUCLIDE ("Euclid University") et la RCA". Permanent Mission Central African Republic. July 2012.
- UNESCO | Education - Regional Convention on the Recognition of Studies, Certificates, Diplomas, Degrees and other Academic Qualifications in Higher Education
- EUCLID (Pôle Universitaire Euclide / Euclid University) News and Events
- "Re: Transmission of Documents Regarding Euclide and Graduates" (PDF). Retrieved 11 December 2012.
- Wanda Monthey (July 28, 2010). "Copy of Official Email Communication, State of Maine" (PDF). EUCLID University website.
- "Maine DOE - Higher Education". Maine.gov. Retrieved 2013-10-19.
- John Gnodtke, General Counsel of Michigan Civil Service Commission (February 26, 2012). "Re: Transmission of Legal Document by email and fax" (PDF). EUCLID University website.
- "THECB - Institutions Whose Degrees are Illegal to Use in Texas". Thecb.state.tx.us. Retrieved 2014-03-25.
- EUCLID. "EUCLID Legal Affairs and Enforcement". Euclid.int. Retrieved 2013-10-19.